D44 front guys, please step in

Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
20201106_123218.jpg
656720736.jpg

I'm kinda jammed up here, I bought a clean 79 f150 2wd that I want to convert to 4wd on a 32-35" tire that will in all honesty just be a cruiser with the rare 2 track use

I've collected a set of 05+ super duty axles, but I really want to run the 95-96 ford alcoas, I have a set in 5lug 15, and 8 lug 16

What I really want us to find a 67-79 4wd and use all the brackets, axle, radius arms, etc, but i keep coming up empty. Between the ttb trucks, the jeeps, and the Tacomas, there's no hp d44s left

I even considered a 94 dodge unit bearing cad diff for a hot minute to get my 5x5.5....

So I come across a Waggoner d44, I can't get a straight answer on the wms (I haven't seen it yet) and then, can I convert it to 5 lug using the early ttb rotors and hubs I stuck away for an eb d30 years ago? What will my final wms wms be?

I think I'll just mount it up with leafs and be done with it...

Waggy is 58.5" WMS. FSJ and ford hubs (small bearing) are interchangeable. I want to say wide track/J truck are 63.5". No discernible difference in WMS from 5/6 lug hubs. 8 lug adds .75" a side

Running into the same issue for a friends rig. Looking into a JK axle.

Damn, I think f150 is 65-66" wms

Thanks

I'll buy this thing anyways, use it for parts or trade and keep looking

Since we're here...

I have a mid 70s k10 d44 housing, knuckles, shafts and tie rod

In theory I could torch out the plug welds in the center section, bottle jack it apart, swap tubes, hammer back in (with some heat on diff) add a little pinion angle and reassemble, am i missing anything here?

I'd just cut the long side down, then sleeve/plug the short to a long. The .125" you lose in a band saw wont matter.

Its not a complicated process. But it has its difficulties.

Personaly i would leave the long tube in and cut it down. That way your only fighting one tube. But you wil have to buy a $150 tube.

Its definately easier to move c's than tubes.

Get a good angle finder, torch, rose budd, table, jacks, and a good press.

It's a D44, any time spent is time wasted.

Can't find any late 90s obs BJ60s?
I can look
I'd be happy with half ton stuff, if I go d60, then I might as well do a powerstroke swap and my home depot cruiser build gets outta hand:laughing:

I have some ttb options in the mix too...

I have a complete 88 or so f150 4wd here, I'm contemplating splicing the front frame on if the width matches up...
It's the right gear ratio, lug pattern, and has the same SBF motor mounts...

Would be nice with a 2-4" lift

Anyways I'm still looking for a hp d44

I'm not saying a D44 wouldn't be enough for what you want, but tube swapping one, then having to figure out leaf or coil mounts, fuck that.

BTW, dumb tacoma guys pay stupid amounts of money for those shitty driver drop waggy D44s

I have some ttb options in the mix too...

I have a complete 88 or so f150 4wd here, I'm contemplating splicing the front frame on if the width matches up...
It's the right gear ratio, lug pattern, and has the same SBF motor mounts...
The 88 frame is stouter in every way. Dropping a 70s F150 onto an 80s/90s F250/350 is a pretty common swap. You should be able to find a bunch of build threads to read and copy.

I'm not saying a D44 wouldn't be enough for what you want, but tube swapping one, then having to figure out leaf or coil mounts, fuck that.

BTW, dumb tacoma guys pay stupid amounts of money for those shitty driver drop waggy D44s

You must be one of those guys who says "ATM machine" :flipoff2:

If you are still looking for a HP dana 44, I think wvracer821 has a 78-79 F250 Dana 44. but we are on the east coast. but we are planning to come to Hammers this upcoming year.

I'm dragging my feet on swapping my 78 to a super duty axle (we've already talked) but could you do a JK/JL D44 with wheel adapters, and the RuffStuff 3 link setup?

I second butt welding the tube back together or sleeving it and welding. I’m doing that with a HP44 on my project… converting it to passenger drop. I don’t have the right tools to press tubes in and out. A single sleeve to a half ass align it and it will get burnt in

Top Back Refresh