What's new

D44: 5 vs 6 vs 8 lug WMS

TRINDU

PBB Orphan
Member Number
Loc
Central TX
Is there a change in WMS from Ford hubs to FSJ/GM 6 lug?

I believe 6 to 8 lug GM would add .75" per side.

Do you change stubs from Ford <-> GM hub swap?

Swapping Ford 5 lug to Chevy 8 lug I didn't see any change to WMS. I had to use the Chevy stub because the spindle bearing is in a different place than Ford put it, but the overall shaft length is the same:

22.jpg

Highboy 8 lug outer -10.75
78/79 f150 supercab and 250 -9.72
Gm/jeep -9.94

Full disclosure I think non supercab stubs are shorter.

Hope this helps, probably adds more questions. Like reptillikus said you need the right combo of spindle, brake mounting hardware and so on though.

I was just wondering about doing this as well. I have a Ford TTB front end from an 83 bronco that I want to put under a sequoia, 6 lug. So I assumed I would use GM 6 bolt spindles and 6 lug hubs as well as stub shaft to go along with the GM wheel hubs and locking hubs. Also I know the ford calipers run the slide pins for those BUT i will cut those ears off and mill a nice and flat spot to drill 2 holes to made whatever caliper bracket is needed for correct offset and diameter rotor I'm running. Luckily all these things will be done on the bench and not under a truck

No need to machine a fancy caliper bracket, unless you simply want to.

Cut the caliper brackets off the pre-4WABS TTB knuckle
09.jpg

install stock chevy caliper brackets, using chevy spindle studs
11.jpg

assemble using chevy stub shafts, spindles, wheel bearing hubs, calipers and rotors:
24.jpg

The same would work with the half ton 6-lug chevy stuff.

That is great to know. Now I just have to source a chevy 6 lug front axle for all the parts off of it. Since buying individual parts I'd go broke.,

Yeah getting a whole axle is the way to go. That's how I built my 8-lug TTB, and later on I got a second just so id have spare parts.

Top Back Refresh