What's new

CVT Belt Temperatures

AlxJ64

Rust is Paint
Member Number
Loc
Richmond / Cville - VA
In my fumbling through the interwebs researching complaints and issues on the Maverick Sport XXC that I have it became a common theme regarding belt integrity and clutch hazing. That being the case, I had some extra cash with a vendor an picked up a Razorback belt temp gauge for the machine. I installed it and ran about 250 miles last week in the mix of rain and sun but so much mud in WV. The first ride the belt ran up to 210 degrees and the orange warning light came on. That seemed too hot already as I didn't feel like I had been working the machine that hard. The next day it hovered around 210 and even saw 235 for a brief moment however I couldn't seem to get it to drop temps. We had a breakdown and had to jaunt back on the highway. To hang with my group I just hammered it down and said eff it, lets see how hot this thing goes... 296 with all the flashing lights.

I then noticed how badly covered in mud the belt intake screen was. Its mounted on the side of these machines and with the lack of fenders it was getting covered after the first few hundred yards of trail, no matter how much I tried to clean it, the effort was more or less moot. I poked holes in the bottom of the screen to allow some air in and was mindful of them.
With a clean screen fresh out the gate, the belt temps ran around 160. Once we hit some muddy trails and the spray hit the intake screen, it ran up fast AF and I had to be mindful of it. The holes poked dropped it down to around 185 but something better is in the process. No mud got into the belt intake and I am working on an intake relocation now.

That all being said, the real question is what kind of belts, and what kind of temps are people seeing? (for those of you who monitor them) I made the mistake of posting this in a FB group and everyone had comments about "I have 2000 miles on my belt, blah blah"... golf cart.. driving style and no actual data.

Last edited:
20211006_165150.jpg
20211004_110809.jpg

My wife's 800 Mav Trail is on he stock belt after 4 years but on stock tires and no mud.
I have no idea on temps. We carry a spare belt but I have also never had trouble with the screen getting covered.
Probably due to the tire widths and offsets of the bugger machines like yours.

My wife's 800 Mav Trail is on he stock belt after 4 years but on stock tires and no mud.
I have no idea on temps. We carry a spare belt but I have also never had trouble with the screen getting covered.
Probably due to the tire widths and offsets of the bugger machines like yours.
There was a trail 800 in our group too actually; she had minimal issues with the mud on the screen given the width and fender coverage. 50" Trail vs 64" Sport X is a big difference on the same machine body with only a 1.75" extra flare for the X series. The width difference and lack of tire coverage was certainly main culprit of the mud on the screen, which was in turn the reason for the hot belt. When the screen was clean, the belt temps stayed low, even with lots of throttle on long steep hill climbs that went on forever. I am going to relocate the screen AND develop some decent fender extensions that don't look like trashcan plastic sheet metal screwed on like the kits everyone runs from eBay.

There was a trail 800 in our group too actually; she had minimal issues with the mud on the screen given the width and fender coverage. 50" Trail vs 64" Sport X is a big difference on the same machine body with only a 1.75" extra flare for the X series. The width difference and lack of tire coverage was certainly main culprit of the mud on the screen, which was in turn the reason for the hot belt. When the screen was clean, the belt temps stayed low, even with lots of throttle on long steep hill climbs that went on forever. I am going to relocate the screen AND develop some decent fender extensions that don't look like trashcan plastic sheet metal screwed on like the kits everyone runs from eBay.
I I would think a deflector shroud around the bottom, front and rear edges would provide enough "drip rail" to keep it clean from slung mud.
Or at minimum a a few holes cut in the back of the snorkel to provide some increased flow when the screen is plugged.

Top Back Refresh