What's new

Cutoff wheels

ntaylor

Member Number
Always used abrasive wheels in the past. Picked up one of these at Tractor Supply recently.https://www.grainger.com/product/48R...!438760353028! And I am impressed. Made probably 30 cuts on some 1/4" brackets that I am stripping off of an old trailer and it still looks like new. Would have probably been through 5 abrasive wheels in that time. Anyone else using these or similar?

I haven't used them before but heard they cut pretty slow, did you find that to be the case?

I haven't used them before but heard they cut pretty slow, did you find that to be the case?

I don't feel that it cuts any slower. And it stays full size so you aren't working with a tiny wheel as it gets wore out.

Tried a smaller one on a die grinder and was slow as fuck. I’ll stick to abrasive wheels

Is it the equivalent of 20 HF wheels? Because they cost the same.

I have used them before and yes they do cut slower. Especially when they start getting a bit of wear to them. They work great for thinner stuff that would really wear out an abrasive wheel when pushing it hard. I still prefer abrasive cut-off wheels for most stuff.

Always used abrasive wheels in the past. Picked up one of these at Tractor Supply recently.https://www.grainger.com/product/48R...!438760353028! And I am impressed. Made probably 30 cuts on some 1/4" brackets that I am stripping off of an old trailer and it still looks like new. Would have probably been through 5 abrasive wheels in that time. Anyone else using these or similar?

$20 for one wheel??? :eek: :eek:

Does it last as long as 2 six-packs of other cutoff wheels?

Even at our local hardware store you can get four abrasive wheels for the cost of that one. Think I will stick with them.

Even at our local hardware store you can get four abrasive wheels for the cost of that one. Think I will stick with them.

I haven't used it a lot but I would say I have used it the equivalent of at least 5 abrasive wheels. And, it still looks like new. I think it was $15 where I bought it.

Speaking of abrasive wheels, anyone notice a decline in HF 4.5” wheel life? Usually that’s all I’ve used but seems like they don’t last as long. I grabbed a pack of Diablo from homodepot and they seem slightly better.

Speaking of abrasive wheels, anyone notice a decline in HF 4.5” wheel life? Usually that’s all I’ve used but seems like they don’t last as long. I grabbed a pack of Diablo from homodepot and they seem slightly better.

Which ones? Last time there were Warriror (Green), Hercules (Blue), and Bauer (red) branded ones. Seem like the Hercules ones last a bit longer than the warriors. The few diablo ones I've bought do seem to last longer than both of those.

Which ones? Last time there were Warriror (Green), Hercules (Blue), and Bauer (red) branded ones. Seem like the Hercules ones last a bit longer than the warriors. The few diablo ones I've bought do seem to last longer than both of those.

Green ones are the only ones I’ve used

Along similar lines, I saw the carbide tipped blades for 14" chop saw. They run over $100. Anybody tried those?

That is the cost of like 10 abrasive blades. I would like to try one on some 1/4" square tube before commiting to the purchase...

Along similar lines, I saw the carbide tipped blades for 14" chop saw. They run over $100. Anybody tried those?

That is the cost of like 10 abrasive blades. I would like to try one on some 1/4" square tube before commiting to the purchase...

For use with a saw that would normally run an abrasive blade? The only carbides I've seen are for "cold cut" saws that spin a lot slower.

They make 14" diamond blades like the OP is talking about. I got one but haven't tried it out yet as I hardly ever use a chop saw anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lenox-...301532&hash=item23dbc8f67e:g:GjMAAOSwa05fEgN5

The carbide ones are for a dry cut saw which does spin about half as fast as your normal abrasive cutoff saw.

I like to use H&M abrasives for my cutoff wheels and grinding wheels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250pk-5-in...utting-Disc-/262531014318?hash=item3d20115eae

If you go into their e-bay store you can sort by what you're looking for and the size you want and then order as many or as few as you like. I usually buy the 250 pack and that lasts me for a year or so... :laughing:

Years ago I unfortunately bought one of the "new" Evolution Rage2 chop saws with the carbide tipped blades. There's 2 things I didn't like: it cut fine, but leaves really nasty sharp metal slivers that go everywhere and get stuck in the soles or my shoes. The other problem is the blade would "ring" with some sort of resonant vibration, which would widen the blade kerf, screwing up your cut. That may only be an issue with this particular blade though ?

ive stopped using the junk from harbor freight completely. I get all my cut off discs and flap discs from Roark Supply now. They may be a little more expensive than HF stuff, but they last much longer and are an all around better product. I have yet to have a Pearl cut off disc explode into shrapnel on me like many HF discs have done on me. The extra safety factor alone makes it worth the extra cost vs Hf stuff. The fact they last longer and cut cleaner is icing on the cake.

https://www.roarksupply.com/Pearl-Slimcut-Cut-Off-Wheels-p/pearlslimcut.htm

ive stopped using the junk from harbor freight completely. I get all my cut off discs and flap discs from Roark Supply now. They may be a little more expensive than HF stuff, but they last much longer and are an all around better product. I have yet to have a Pearl cut off disc explode into shrapnel on me like many HF discs have done on me. The extra safety factor alone makes it worth the extra cost vs Hf stuff. The fact they last longer and cut cleaner is icing on the cake.

https://www.roarksupply.com/Pearl-Slimcut-Cut-Off-Wheels-p/pearlslimcut.htm

X2 all i order any more

I usually buy Roark, but in a pinch I've had good luck with the Diablo... seem to last a little bit longer than Dewalt.

FWIW screw buying 4.5.... i buy 6" and when a couple of them get down to 4-4.5 size i hang them on a peg to save them for when i need the smaller wheel to get in a tight spot.

I usually buy Roark, but in a pinch I've had good luck with the Diablo... seem to last a little bit longer than Dewalt.

FWIW screw buying 4.5.... i buy 6" and when a couple of them get down to 4-4.5 size i hang them on a peg to save them for when i need the smaller wheel to get in a tight spot.

Do you have an actual 6" grinder? Or do you remove the guard to use 6" wheels on your 4 1/2" grinder? :homer:

I've been running the 5" ones, but might go ahead and order some 6" wheels next time... I do run them down till there is absolutely nothing left. If I can't cut with them because of the location I'm in I will save the small ones for cutting an edge of of something where I can get the grinder in there completely. Kinda aggravating swapping all those little ones out, but it's nice to use them up and throw them away too... That is one area where the diamond blades shine is they don't ever get smaller so you have full reach at all times...

Do you have an actual 6" grinder? Or do you remove the guard to use 6" wheels on your 4 1/2" grinder? :homer:

What is a "guard"? :flipoff2:

Flame away. Yes I run cutoff wheels on a 4.5" variable speed Metabo with no guard.

I also have a 4.5" Dewalt that is the dedicated flap disc grinder that is also guardless.

I have a Milwaukee 4.5" that has a guard with a grinding wheel and a DeWalt without a guard, typically used with a flap disk.

I also have a Milwaukee fuel 4.5" for most work away from the work bench, so the wheels get swapped out all the time. It has a guard.

I like guards, usually. I can direct all the sparks away from me and I can set the tool down while still spinning (without flipping it over).

Too bad HF doesn't sell a 6" guard for their 4.5 grinder. The grinders are so anemic they almost certainly never get up to rated speed so it's not like you're gonna over speed the big disc. :laughing:

I have a pair of Dewalt grinders. Both still have the guards on them though I did have to pull the guard off one the other day to get into a tight corner.

i also pretty much have 1 always equipped with a Roark flap disc and the other with a Pearl cut off disc. I keep both plugged in so it’s quick and easy to go from cutting to smoothing without having to swap discs all the time. I only swap when they are worn out. I almost never use a grinding disc at all anymore.

Top Back Refresh