What's new

Cut to length 35 spline FF shafts?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Building a E350 D60u with an ARB and gears I already have. Stock shafts are decent size but 32 spline (because 30 and 35 spline was too simple for 30 years ??????)
Rig has 120hp so I'll probably be fine with anything available, but I was just curious if there is any real difference between any of the cheap cut to length shafts?

Yukon?

Nitro?

Ox? https://ox-usa.com/dana-60-axles/580-dana-60-70-80-full-float-335-ctl.html

DURASOLID? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VPXHM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8-AgFbFKNQRCY?tag=91812054244-20

Can't comment on the 4340 heat treating, because neither has any details. But the Dura text reeks of Chinglish...

Pretty sure durasolid sold the $80 spools that were never true, hard pass.

Dutchman is also a good option, they are also made here. Theres are only available in 1541 and 4130, but they are made to the length you want. https://dutchmanaxles.com/flanged-floater-axle-pair.html

$300/pair? ($390 for 4130) That's cheaper than the shitty options. :homer:​​​​​​

I've actually been surprised how cheap Dutchman and Moser are for what I believe is decent quality stuff.

As far as the dura solids, I figured they were just Yukons without the purple bear mark up.

Can't comment on the 4340 heat treating, because neither has any details. But the Dura text reeks of Chinglish...

Durasolid is made in India at the same foundry as Yukon offshore stuff I believe.

The stock dana 70u E350 axles are 35 spline and a direct swap. I just picked up a set for my 60u for nearly free.

The stock dana 70u E350 axles are 35 spline and a direct swap. I just picked up a set for my 60u for nearly free.

SRW or DRW? I'm pretty sure the 70 only cam in cab and chassis vans and I'm pretty sure the DRW is a wider overall width.

I'm also curious what application the e series D70 came in?

Well anything DRW for starters. I'm unsure if the rare (compared to the vans and DRW cab chassis, not that they didn't make millions of them) SRW cab chassis got the 70.

Did the drw 70 just use different hubs to get a wider wms?

I went over all the Spicer shaft info back when I got mine and the only off the shelf way I could find to get 35spl shafts in the appropriate length was to mix and match stuff from a couple different 70s F-series applications.

Edit: I'm 99.9% sure the E-series D60 and D70 use the same hub. Ford uses a pretty close to centered rim. Like 4.5 backspace on an 8" rim or something like that. The E350 D60 I have sitting around has hubs that look pretty much the same as the DRW Dodge D80 I also have.

Last edited:
Well anything DRW for starters. I'm unsure if the rare (compared to the vans and DRW cab chassis, not that they didn't make millions of them) SRW cab chassis got the 70.

I went over all the Spicer shaft info back when I got mine and the only off the shelf way I could find to get 35spl shafts in the appropriate length was to mix and match stuff from a couple different 70s F-series applications.

Edit: I'm 99.9% sure the E-series D60 and D70 use the same hub. Ford uses a pretty close to centered rim. Like 4.5 backspace on an 8" rim or something like that. The E350 D60 I have sitting around has hubs that look pretty much the same as the DRW Dodge D80 I also have.

Ya, I mean, I like junk yards, but the ones around me pretty much are 90% 90s and 2000s ecoboxes. Anything good seems to go elsewhere. Then again, vans aren't exactly high demand anywhere.

If I can get decent chromo shafts for $300-400 vs scouring junk yards for days, I'll probably just do that.

Last edited:
SRW or DRW? I'm pretty sure the 70 only cam in cab and chassis vans and I'm pretty sure the DRW is a wider overall width.

Fairly certain it was a single tire e3500 70. I'm lucky enough to have a junk yard owner that is a wheeler and I just told him I heard a rumor there were factory 70 axles that bolted into my 60 and he knew what I was talking about. Next time I'm over there I'll try to remember to ask him if he knows the exact application.

I know he was happy to trade my stock 32 spline shafts for the 35's. His yard caters to the part runner trucks for the dealers here in town and he said no one ever breaks the 35 spline axles, the 32s are apparently a hot item for him though.

Ran the cut to length 35 spline yukons for years in my old buggy with a built LS. Twisted the splines on a couple but never broke any.

Reactions: POR
I have a D70 out of a older GM dually. It is 35 spline but with the smaller 14 bolt hub bolt pattern, like 8x3.625, so nobody stocks shafts that fit. I ordered a pair of Moser, one stock length and one cut down about 17”. They came within a week or so and for like they should. Only about 16 hours of run time so far though.

Ran the cut to length 35 spline yukons for years in my old buggy with a built LS. Twisted the splines on a couple but never broke any.

Yep.. that's the way to go.. no sense in making shit hard nowadays.. aftermarket has ya covered

Yep.. that's the way to go.. no sense in making shit hard nowadays.. aftermarket has ya covered

What? So go with the cheapest made shafts because one guy hasn't broke them? :laughing:​​​​​​

I'll either go with Moser or Dutchman. The price of the cut to length is about the same, so why not.

What? So go with the cheapest made shafts because one guy hasn't broke them? :laughing:​​​​​​

I'll either go with Moser or Dutchman. The price of the cut to length is about the same, so why not.

No.. any of them.. "AFTERMARKET" has you covered,
just agreeing with his cut to length 70 shafts comment.

Top Back Refresh