What's new

CSST Gas Pipe Ok or not

Csst works great and is easy to use. I've run a ton of it. Some of you guys are over thinking it.
We will see if my local supplier will even seem it to me first. If I can't buy it in going to be frustrated. Then I guess I'll be going in black iron

Look for a small supply house staffed by old guys and talk a good game. Also you can buy a lot of the tools, fittings, etc online. The pipe is generally cost prohibitive to ship.

Going to hijack this. New house has a gas line run through the garage and into the laundry room for a dryer hookup. We have an electric dryer, so I want to use the gas line for a unit heater in the garage. Problem is the previous owners moved the furnace and removed about 5' of the black pipe gas line to fit the furnace in.

The gas line runs from the meter to the furnace room and is capped off. On the other side of the furnace the rest of the run is capped off that goes into the garage. So there is a section of pipe missing at the furnace. It would be very hard to run black pipe around the furnance. Can I use 5' of CSST around the furnace between the two capped ends of black pipe?

Why not just throw a piece of black iron back in. Two unions and one pipe is all you'll need.

Why not just throw a piece of black iron back in. Two unions and one pipe is all you'll need.
Ductwork from the furnace is blocking it. Furnace is in a corner and I would need to do a bunch of bends to get around it with no room to work.

drill two holes in the duct
pipe through duct :flipoff2:
That's a text book example of what not to do.

But we all know that if it wasn't a highly useful thing to do with a high probability of working just fine it wouldn't be a textbook example of what not to do. :flipoff2:

Do I need to worry about bonding it? Internet tells me CSST will kill a bus load of nuns if not bonded and grounded. Not sure if a 5' section with black pipe on both ends needs it though.

Do I need to worry about bonding it? Internet tells me CSST will kill a bus load of nuns if not bonded and grounded. Not sure if a 5' section with black pipe on both ends needs it though.
toss some copper wire across it with a couple bonding clamps if you're worried

You can buy stuff that's already setup for that. (Spark/arc resistant sleeving)

My home inspection actually got dinged for not being bonded, I ignored it. I also have about a 5' section of it connecting a relocated furnace.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh