What's new

CSST Gas Pipe Ok or not

Clemson13

Evernoob is a douchcanoe
Member Number
Loc
Upstate SC
Title says it all. I have to plumb a new line to my new kitchen range that is going to be gas. Line is about 30ft long and has to go over some of the AC equipment in my not big enough crawl space and then up through the floor. I am thinking of using CSST, but it seems like there is a lot of hate for it even though its been out for decades and hasnt become code non compliant.

Other option is likely copper tubing, i think black iron is out as its a PITA to work with and i dont have all the threading tools so its also the most expensive by the time I tool up.

I ran gastite csst in my house. That's all I could get locally by paying cash to the right supply house without a license or whatever they required. In my area, most supply houses would not sell me gas stuff without a license or certification. Be aware that the fittings and specialty tools for stripping, cutting, etc. can get expensive and are mostly brand specific. I imagine whatever system you can buy at big box store is fine as well, and probably cheaper. Just make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions for install and you'll be fine.

Black iron isn't really that bad. I think Homeless Depot can still cut and thread custom lengths for you. Checking Harbor Fright; pipe threader is only $35 bucks. Just don't skimp on quality pipe dope. :smokin:

Rent the tools???:stirthepot:

Last edited:
If you need an excuse to buy the HF pipe kinker this is the perfect project for it. It bends smaller sizes of black iron great. 2" likes to kink. Of course you could do all threaded connections too but that's no fun.

Cheapo import (HF or otherwise) pipe threader that goes up to 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 is useful enough to have around.

Once you get good at bending pipe you will use it for all sorts of stuff.

You'll be making coolant lines and whatnot out of sch40 aluminum in no time.

I just redid and extended a lot of the gas line in my house, upgrading the main line to 1 inch. I did black iron. Tried and true and I have threading dies available making it a no brainer.

My last house was done with CSST. It was about 10 years old. No issues with it other than the install looked like shit. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a place plumbed with CSST, but I am going to go black iron if I am doing the work.

If you need an excuse to buy the HF pipe kinker this is the perfect project for it. It bends smaller sizes of black iron great. 2" likes to kink. Of course you could do all threaded connections too but that's no fun.

Cheapo import (HF or otherwise) pipe threader that goes up to 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 is useful enough to have around.

Once you get good at bending pipe you will use it for all sorts of stuff.

You'll be making coolant lines and whatnot out of sch40 aluminum in no time.
No. Don't bend black pipe used for gas, pretty sure that's illegal after the meter for most ahj's.
OP, buy the HF electric threader, some black pipe, and fittings. Use tape AND dope.

I've used 2" CSST for some temporary feeds and it's nice for what it is, but the metal in it is so thin I'm not sure I'd use it anywhere where gas would be left on unattended in a concealed space where a nail could find it. Personal choice, I know it's used a lot, but it just seems flimsy to me.

Last edited:
No. Don't bend black pipe used for gas, pretty sure that's illegal after the meter for most ahj's.
You see a lot of it around here, no idea if it's to code or just old installs but it's definitely one of those things where some dickbag plumber with his license to print money will kink it to within an inch of its life and then call it good because it's not leaking right then and there.

Anyone who's normal frame of reference for what constitutes good enough is tube bending for vehicle cages like we do here will be fine.

I haven’t seen the yellow stuff in a house for a long time, probably 10 years.

All the plumbers here use black flex or black iron

Black iron isn't really that bad. I think Homeless Depot can still cut and thread custom lengths for you. Checking Harbor Fright; pipe threader is only $35 bucks. Just don't skimp on quality pipe dope. :smokin:

Rent the tools???:stirthepot:
That's what i am currently thinking of. It looks like it might only be 15$ a day at home depot to rent. So if i can have all of my parts laid out, then i should be able to just excecated the project in a day.

But damn the CSST seems like it would be easier to use at home....... why is black pipe any better? It has WAY more joints to leak at doesnt it?

Csst is just fragile but will work, pretty much every gas range that has been installed in the last 15-20 years uses csst from the stub to the range.

Can you get a full stick of black iron in? You can get by with a 3/8 if that makes a difference, the length and awkwardness can be a bit of a pain especially of you are by yourself in a tight space. Hd will cut and thread up to 5 pieces a stick just have to have a receipt.

I've run some CSST. Its pretty easy to use and never had any leaks. You are supposed to ground it, the leaks supposedly were from lightning strikes causing microholes.

Nobody using pex? :flipoff2:

If you run pipe, buy it from a steel supply it's much cheaper than hd.

That's what i am currently thinking of. It looks like it might only be 15$ a day at home depot to rent. So if i can have all of my parts laid out, then i should be able to just excecated the project in a day.

But damn the CSST seems like it would be easier to use at home....... why is black pipe any better? It has WAY more joints to leak at doesnt it?
When I converted over from electric hot water to gas; I was somewhat concerned. I pulled a permit to be on the safe side. It turned out I only needed to thread one pipe fitting! Every thing else was easily covered by off the shelf nipples and a couple of unions. By the way... Harbor Fright pipe wrenches suck big ass donkey dicks; total junk! Find and or borrow a couple of good used Rigid wrenches. But the manual pipe threader actually does work, just don't expect it to last. :lmao:

Generally pex is a no no because of how fragile it is. A water leak will create a mess but people don't Generally die from it. Leak in a gas line will eventually go boom and then everyone freaks out. However its only a few psi so you don't have to get your pipe joints crazy tight.

By the way... Harbor Fright pipe wrenches suck big ass donkey dicks; total junk!

:shaking:

This is a textbook case of thinking that spending more money will magically compensate for you sucking.

The pipe wrench is 200yo tech. Other than better fit and finish and a lighter nicer handle there is nothing a Rigid can do that the HF can't

I've taken apart two and a half 100yo steam and hot water systems (how do you think I'm getting free radiators for my house) with my HF wrenches. They do fine. They have no problem grabbing a pipe hard enough to mash it when I use 6ft of leverage.

I have that corrugated stainless stuff in a few applications where it sees a little over 100 psi
one is the evaporator side of a CPU cooler, google you "vapochill" and you'll see the two thousand dollar commercialized application of it
when shut off the static charge is like 90 psi, in use its a slight vacuum

the other is one of my air compressor's discharge hoses from the head to the tank, that one's set to 175 psi
it shakes like mad and I always feel like it's gonna blow off and whip around and kill me, but ten years later it hasn't

both are the shitty corrugated things that say "30 inches of water pressure maximum" or whatever on the ends

This is a textbook case of thinking that spending more money will magically compensate for you sucking.

The pipe wrench is 200yo tech. Other than better fit and finish and a lighter nicer handle there is nothing a Rigid can do that the HF can't

I've taken apart two and a half 100yo steam and hot water systems (how do you think I'm getting free radiators for my house) with my HF wrenches. They do fine. They have no problem grabbing a pipe hard enough to mash it when I use 6ft of leverage.
soft steel in the jaws means they don't bite after a little bit of use
glass-hard fuckin bitey ass jaws means they bite forever and ever

gimmie the old american wrenches from back when they case hardened the teeth hard as dick, you can keep your butter soft chink shit

CSST is standard for the most part now.

Black iron is stupid strong comparatively.

Joints don't leak if you dope then tape. Use gas rated Teflon and dope! Some of the white stuff will react with the odor and disappear.

You can seal them without anything if you know how to setup a threader, typically it's less than 1 psi you're keeping in. The dope and tape is assurance.

soft steel in the jaws means they don't bite after a little bit of use
glass-hard fuckin bitey ass jaws means they bite forever and ever

gimmie the old american wrenches from back when they case hardened the teeth hard as dick, you can keep your butter soft chink shit

Every pawn shop has Ridgid wrenches from the apprentices that finally caught some shit.... literally. :flipoff2:

It’s .5 PSI, 12.5” of WC ish, so black iron doesn’t leak unless you don’t tighten it like a man.

DO NOT bend it, use fittings.

Cap it and air it up to 15 PSI overnight, spray the fittings, and run it.

Dude... Sorry to say. Brand new HF pipe wrenches would not grip on some 1"... Used and abused old Rigged wrenches; no problem. I have no idea why I have so many fucking pipe wrenches. I am letting them go for pennies on the dollar when we have garage sales.

Dude... Sorry to say. Brand new HF pipe wrenches would not grip on some 1"... Used and abused old Rigged wrenches; no problem. I have no idea why I have so many fucking pipe wrenches. I am letting them go for pennies on the dollar when we have garage sales.
This. Also, they are weak in other ways too. I've broken the hook jaw on a HF wrench without using a cheater. Also broken the handle without too big of a cheater. The worn out rigid handled the same abuse just fine. I picked up a 24" aluminum rigid at a flea market tool thing my wife drug me to for $20 a few years ago and LOVE it.

I realize this is a joke, but keep in mind that NG is a hydrocarbon and will screw up polymers like gasoline can. I "temporarily" used a hydraulic hose for CNG for "a while" and it should have worked according to the materials it was made from. On paper it was compatible, Teflon liner, etc. but after a few months at 3600psi the CNG somehow wicked it's way through the hose and made the outer jacket look like a bullfrog's skin, covered in little bubble warts. Ordered up legit premade lines that 'look' the same and never had another issue.

I realize this is a joke, but keep in mind that NG is a hydrocarbon and will screw up polymers like gasoline can.
I just picked up a bunch of free yellow 4" IPS pex with about a 3/8" wall
it's what they use for the "high pressure" main lines nowadays (though that's prolly like 8 psi)

says "astm d2513kv" on it

I just picked up a bunch of free yellow 4" IPS pex with about a 3/8" wall
it's what they use for the "high pressure" main lines nowadays (though that's prolly like 8 psi)

says "astm d2513kv" on it
I should have said "normal pex". Based on my experience I'd have to assume that the gas rated pex is made just different enough to matter.

My dept. got called out to a gas leak last summer when an excavator poked a hole in a 60PSI 8" gas line. It never found ignition, but it sounded like a jet engine and it made an impressive volcano of dirt. The gas companies procedure to fix it was to dig a hole 50' upstream of it with a backhoe, and put a big clamp on it. Took almost an hour.

I had CSST in a few applications in my old house. Only comment I have is that if you're using it in a high-flow situation, it will whistle. One CSST line fed an outdoor firepit (under a concrete slab, with a ground line). When you'd open the 1/2" valve full tilt, it whistled something awful. Could only run it at about 50% open or it would whistle. I'd imagine on a high-demand appliance (e.g. commercial stove), you could have the same issue.

I had CSST in a few applications in my old house. Only comment I have is that if you're using it in a high-flow situation, it will whistle. One CSST line fed an outdoor firepit (under a concrete slab, with a ground line). When you'd open the 1/2" valve full tilt, it whistled something awful. Could only run it at about 50% open or it would whistle. I'd imagine on a high-demand appliance (e.g. commercial stove), you could have the same issue.
I mean its not much of a stove, 70k btu on the range and anothe 20k in the oven it think. Doubt i use more than 30k at a time though. Since im sizing the line for 80kbtu i suspect ill be fine.

I mean its not much of a stove, 70k btu on the range and anothe 20k in the oven it think. Doubt i use more than 30k at a time though. Since im sizing the line for 80kbtu i suspect ill be fine.
You are going to be ok with black iron. Don't forget a sand trap on the last riser. Fucking black iron; install it once and forget about it. :smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

Csst works great and is easy to use. I've run a ton of it. Some of you guys are over thinking it.

Top Back Refresh