What's new

Crawfish Boil

72blazer

Marion Cobretti
Member Number
Loc
The Real South Texas
Any good recipes? Never cooked it but have seen it cooked. My kids go crazy for it and they’ve been asking for it. Might as well learn. I was thinking I’d like to cook some with potatoes, corn, and sausage. Some mild-moderate heat would be great to keep everyone happy and my gastritis no too angry at me.

don’t make me Google a recipe :mad3::flipoff2:

Isn't it just crab boil seasoning? I've never boiled them myself but I've eaten plenty. Its not a crawfish boil without the potatoes corn and sausage. That seems to absorb ALL of the spice so when your crawfish are medium hot the potatoes are "holy fuck where's my beer" hot. Get a couple loaves of white bread to munch on too, seems to kill the mouth pain

Any good recipes? Never cooked it but have seen it cooked. My kids go crazy for it and they’ve been asking for it. Might as well learn. I was thinking I’d like to cook some with potatoes, corn, and sausage. Some mild-moderate heat would be great to keep everyone happy and my gastritis no too angry at me.

don’t make me Google a recipe :mad3::flipoff2:

Have a recipe we used in college in a email somewhere. Off to see if I can find it.

Isn't it just crab boil seasoning?
Guess cooking process would help...boil water, dump in seasoning, sides, and then watch crawfish meet their boiling death...? I’ve also seen the crawfish get washed thru water 3-4 times prior to boiling. Is there something that helps get the seafood stank out of them?

Purge the mudbugs first!
if you have to keep em for more than a day a small amount of cornmeal in the water.
Prior to cookin
Drain the water outta the bucket
Dose em with table salt hard!
Once they purge , rinse twist (twice,2 times, fer you northerners) then cook off shitcan any that don't curl up!

These people live next door to me. Its fully grub. We also add whole mushrooms. Also, nobody lets them cool, ever, dump them on the table hot and eat

http://www.tonyseafood.com/recipes.p...n=submit&id=79
Boiled Crawfish

The crawfish boil is the premiere social event in the springtime in the South.
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Place the crawfish in a cooking strainer fitted for a crawfish boiling pot. Place strainer with crawfish inside the pot and fill with water to cover the crawfish by 6 inches. Mark the volume of the water as this will tell you how much water you will need for the boil.
  2. Remove strainer and set aside. Empty pot and refill with clean water.
  3. Bring water to a rolling boil over high heat.
  4. Add vegetables (except potatoes,artichokes and corn) Louisiana Fish Fry seasoning, hot sauce, oil and beer.
  5. Allow mixture to boil for 30 minutes
  6. Add potatoes, artichokes and sausage. Return to a boil for 10 minutes.
  7. Add corn and cook additional 10 minutes
  8. Add crawfish and return water to a rolling boil.
  9. Stir gently and cook for 3 1/2 minutes, turn off heat then add ice.
  10. Let crawfish soak for 20-25 minutes testing occaisonally for seasoning and doneness
  11. Drain Pot
  12. Enjoy!!!!!

I don’t have a proper “recipe”, but the biggest thing is to boil all the extras first then throw the crawfish in at the end, boil them about 5 minutes, and then kill the fire, dump ice in to keep them from overcooking, and let them soak about 20 minutes. That’s where all the flavor comes from. I also much prefer the ground seasoning to the little bag pod deals.

As far as heat level goes, we generally do a milder batch first for the women and children while the men keep drinking beer. The second batch can then be made “hotter than a chimney fire” as the Turnpike Troubadours say.

Top Back Refresh