What's new

Cracked clutch, brake bracket assembly

eacook1

Red Skull Member
ST4x4
Member Number
Loc
Temecula, CA
Lost my clutch the other day. Turned out to be the wimpy mounting bracket that the clutch and brake assembly mounts to. Pulled it out , what a PITA, and found this.
F817F081-383F-45A2-AF16-DDE7C7D00777.jpeg

The part was about $200 so I figured I would try to repair it. Worked it back into shape, ground out the cracks and welded it up.

540B156E-5ECC-4B54-8D9F-E53A015AEB58.jpeg

Figured I should reinforce it so a made a small sheet metal patch and welded it on.
C62D3F5C-9A2D-4924-BD2E-69B57E9B7E98.jpeg

Has anyone repaired one of these? Kinda worried it might crack somewhere else. I don’t want to do this again because it takes some time to get it out.

Usually the welded bracket on the bottom inside of the cowl snaps off. Then the clutch/brake assembly starts to fail. All years.
I have always thought about not welding the bracket back on, but using a through nut and bolt with solid spacer and large washers from under, and into the inside of the cowl. Use silicone or window thane to seal the washers and bolts to prevent water intrusion.
But I am usually in a hurry and end up rewelding everything. Usually ends up in flash burn on the eyes trying to get my head under there to see.

I jave never had one break a second time after re welding it.

Top Back Refresh