What's new

Covid coin shortage?

Hooptie

This is bat country!
Member Number
Loc
Frostproof FLA
Guess I don't keep up with news enough, first I heard of it was a sign at local gas station requesting exact change or plastic payments. Google says it's a thing due to people not out spending cash for past few months, or cashing in their piggy banks (but figure the truly hard up people would be scrounging up pennies).

Anybody seeing this local to them? Not super tin-foily, but first step to cash-less society? Weird coincidence, but seem to be finding more loose change in parking lots than I ever recall before.

It is just a matter of not handling dirty, germ infested cash.

I have been using a credit card because many places you don't have to sign or touch the screen, where as a debit card you have to enter your pin every time.

It is just a matter of not handling dirty, germ infested cash.

I have been using a credit card because many places you don't have to sign or touch the screen, where as a debit card you have to enter your pin every time.

I've read that plastic is worse than cash for transferring the virus. (Paper cash) Not sure about coins. Probably same as plastic. I often say keep the change.

I've read that plastic is worse than cash for transferring the virus. (Paper cash) Not sure about coins. Probably same as plastic..

True that the virus will live longer on plastic, but I am not talking about handing my plastic to anyone. I am inserting it into a machine where only other peoples plastic can reach.

So you are correct, it raises risk in one area but lowers it in another.

There is no sure fire way to keep from transferring germs but we all knew we can't stop it, we just hope to slow the infection rate.

I was at costco yesterday and the big plastic barricades dont have a hole for handing cash back and forth

True that the virus will live longer on plastic, but I am not talking about handing my plastic to anyone. I am inserting it into a machine where only other peoples plastic can reach.

So you are correct, it raises risk in one area but lowers it in another.

There is no sure fire way to keep from transferring germs but we all knew we can't stop it, we just hope to slow the infection rate.

"other peoples plastic" that they've handled, cut lines of coke with, scratched behind their ear, let their toddler/dog chew on, stewed in their wallet soaked with swampass sweat...

While they could possibly build a UV disinfectant light setup into the pay station, I'm sure it's pretty much a cesspool of germs inside most of them. They were putting plastic covers over ones locally, some of them were legit ziploc bags, but not like they changed between customers or did anything for the card slot. Tap-and-go cards or scanned phone pay systems are probably the cleanest.

We know how the government and fed refuses to waste a good crisis, just hoping cash doesn't end up like gold did under Roosevelt and people are left with digital credits

Over here it's been like this since march: "please also pay minimal amounts with your card. It's ok, we won't be mad at you for charging 3.25 with a card."
Because of Covid.

I bought something at a Quick Trip with cash the other day. They had a similar sign on the counter. When I asked the guy about it, he said that they have plenty of change, they just put the signs up in hopes to deter the hand to hand swapping of cash :rolleyes:

Been seeing a lot of local places out of change and not accepting cash, or only exact amount. How exactly are we running out of change? People are still filling drive thrus and buying stuff. Where did the change go? Are the banks hoarding the deposits?

Hmmm. Haven't noticed this here. Wonder if i should make a run on the bank and pull some more cash out?

It's a thinly veiled move to cashless IMO. Lots of places here outright refusing cash and not because of a change shortage either. I had to work to cash out a check at the bank, they wanted to deposit it, nope give me cash. It was a struggle.

The more shit I see going on with this beer flu the tighter my tinfoil is getting.

I was in va this morning 7 elev had sign asking for rolled coins, in ny this evening cumberland farms gas station had similar sign. I think less panhandling.

Cashless push, this is bigger than the goofy inept government making a series of mistakes.

this is a scam

Agree, butI I'm thinking currency tracking is a part of the push. Whenever I see that sign and have to use my debit card, I always request cash back....just to ensure /Janet Reno Voice/ "the system works"/Janet Reno Voice. LOL. I bought bitcoin at 25per and sold 50 cause it was insane to hold. Now they're worth a ton more and traceability is more important than value in some buys.

I guess I'm the odd man out...I use cash. With a card I lose track of things...yeah yeah I know you can check your balance and so forth...but using cash I know exactly what I spent and where. Also with cash I less likely to buy shit I really don't need or want.

And damn, I just cashed in $60 worth of change about 3 weeks ago. They should have plenty :flipoff2:

It's a thinly veiled move to cashless IMO. Lots of places here outright refusing cash and not because of a change shortage either. I had to work to cash out a check at the bank, they wanted to deposit it, nope give me cash. It was a struggle.

The more shit I see going on with this beer flu the tighter my tinfoil is getting.

Yep....its all about control. Once we're a cashless there won't be any "cash" deals. They will control everything and know exactly what you have....money and otherwise.

Then we'll be back to having to trade for shit.

I guess they are wrapping all their coins in all the paper towels and shit stamps they are hoarding! Dumb asses! People must be only using plastic as the wally world we went to on Wed was mobbed.

Bitcoin seems better every day.

Rome. We are Romans wandering into the abyss

Consider, maybe possibly, that bitcoin is a Trojan horse. A mysterious man creates the perfect currency that cannot be tracked, taxed or regulated. People pile in, greatest thing since sliced bread, then once everybody is "in the perfect system"

it's "cracked"

What's that thing about wild pigs, you put a pile of feed out. Then you put up one wall after a week. Then a 2nd wall. 3rd. Then a gate. Then you close the gate.

Coinstar controls all of the change currently. Millions of broke fucks cashing in coins to buy cigarettes and Starbucks.

Top Back Refresh