What's new

Coupler lock for Demco style on dump trailer?

I’m liking the homemade lock idea. Thinking a large enough piece of pipe to go over the whole thing, possibly even the coupler bolts.

Cut a rectangular hole in the bottom underneath the ball to slide a piece of flat bar up into the ball hole. Weld a tab on the side next to it with holes in both pieces for a disc or puck lock.

You can at least make them have to work upside down on a wobbly ass contraption that keeps moving. Anyone up for drilling a lock out above your eyes while laying on your back, or cutting 1/2” flat bar with a cordless grinder? :flipoff2:

I’m not going to get crazy with a bunch of stuff unless we have a trailer stolen at some point. Ease of dropping off and leaving with it are huge, so no ”take all the tires with you.” Thinking a lot of these are going to end up being 2 day rentals, so it’s not like they will have very much time to scout/plan a thievery mission.

There are a ton of guys with dump trailers in town, mostly for personal use, and you rarely hear about them being stolen. Buddy had one taken from his shop a year or two ago, they pulled it a couple hundred yards and left it. Guess it was too heavy for their Trailblazer or something.

Right now it is being kept at my house when not rented out, so I’m not worried about it. When we get to the point of needing a lot/yard it’s easy to add security there.

If it only needs to sit for a couple days then run surge brakes and line locks.

Jump out of the truck, activate line lock, gas it in reverse a couple times to charge the brakes.

Could use a clamp or boot

that’s what the local homo depot near me uses on their trailers in their parking lot .

What is the name of the system and where are the units mounted on the trailer? Curious how well the trailer brakes will charge unless a guy rides the brakes
Don’t know the answer to either question .

only reason I know at all was I was taking a mini ex to a job site 3 hours away and got a call from
The fleet manager asking me to turn my lights on so they could see if the tracker activated .

they’ve had the spy trackers on the pickups for several years .

Top Back Refresh