What's new

Corral Hollow & Mattely Loop Adopt a Trail

SurfnSnow

Member Number
Loc
Oakland, CA
This past weekend was the Esprit de Four Adopt a Trail where we as a club, working with the local BLM, go out to clear any fallen trees along the Mattely Loop & Corral Hallow trails and this year it was tough. The club was able to clear out roughly 40 fallen trees on both trails but there were still more that needed to be cut, it was pretty bad with the trees being anywhere from 36 inches to 5 ft in diameter. We had roughly 35 members working both trails and it still wasn't enough. Overall though, it's great to get out and do this for our local trails so that others can enjoy it. With that being said, here's some photos:
20210612_131555.jpg

20210612_133540.jpg

this one (one of 8) wasn't even on the trail, it was all on the access road to the trail which made for a long day.
IMG_7670.JPG

20210612_130059.jpg

Nice work there.
trees have been a big problem this year in several areas. (we had 110 on one section of road here)
if some of the members do the work are not certified, I highly recommend getting them certified. all it takes is a little time and having the Forest Service put on the class.

and a 5 foot tree can be a bitch to remove, ask me how I know :laughing:

this is from just last night in our Forest
measured it right at 60" at the cut
60in truck.jpg

That's insane! yeah those big ones were a pain in the ass to move (though with wood prices, it kind of hurt to leave all those fallen trees there :laughing:). In one section, there were 12 trees with some stacked on top of each other and many of them had pulled the roots out and left some pretty ugly holes along the trail as well.

We have quite a few members that have been certified by the Forest service but we just didn't have enough time to work on all of the trees.

That's insane! yeah those big ones were a pain in the ass to move (though with wood prices, it kind of hurt to leave all those fallen trees there :laughing:). In one section, there were 12 trees with some stacked on top of each other and many of them had pulled the roots out and left some pretty ugly holes along the trail as well.

We have quite a few members that have been certified by the Forest service but we just didn't have enough time to work on all of the trees.
I am sure they all came down in the same event we had. I have never seen anything like it. all healthy trees that were completely uprooted.

here is a picture of the road we cleared last month
SF road .25m  before Silverfork Ranch.jpg

did some research on when this all happened
looks like Jan 19th was the culprit
have wind graphs from Spider lake of 123 mph gusts, and Kirkwood of 188MPH :eek:
found this below

Incredibly, the mesonet station KWSIX (Kirkwood) measured gusts to 188 MPH overnight! Equally impressive, the station recorded an avg sustained wind speed of 130+ MPH with frequent gusts of 160-180 MPH for 5 straight hours

:eek: 180 mph gusts! that's crazy. a few years ago the same thing happened almost in the same spot (probably 1/4 of a mile up the trail) and it was just like the photo you posted.

Top Back Refresh