What's new

Cordless Rivnut tool?

Chris775

Member Number
Loc
N.NV
Anyone have a recommendation on a cordless install tool for these things?
M6.jpg

I'm heavily invested in M12 & M18 stuff but no luck from the red brand. Seems they only do pop rivets.

Have rivnuts gotten better? I always remember hearing that they were shit and experiencing that when whatever bolt I was removing was spinning the rivnut.

I have that one already and it works great but I'm staring down the 100ish under my sxs and looking to get lazy.

There are several on Amazon in the $130 range. I looked at a few hoping they were close enough to work with M18 batteries, but none really looked like it.
Just one example

Downside is you probably won't be able to fine replacement batteries when those inevitably take a shit. But at that price point, if you get a few projects out of it, you're probably still ahead of what a name brand one would cost.

I wonder if the snouts from the cheap ones could be adapted to a real red one?

Have rivnuts gotten better? I always remember hearing that they were shit and experiencing that when whatever bolt I was removing was spinning the rivnut.
I have good luck with them. I source mine from mcmaster or bolt depot. The material thickness needs to be within the range of the rivnut, they start collapsing at different points. I also drill the material to where the riv-nut just barely fits, better if I have to tap them in lightly. I have heard of people putting a little bit of panel bond or similar on the nut to seal and retain it better but have never had to do that.

There are several on Amazon in the $130 range. I looked at a few hoping they were close enough to work with M18 batteries, but none really looked like it.
Just one example

Downside is you probably won't be able to fine replacement batteries when those inevitably take a shit. But at that price point, if you get a few projects out of it, you're probably still ahead of what a name brand one would cost.

I wonder if the snouts from the cheap ones could be adapted to a real red one?
There is also this style that uses your existing drill:

Edit: this and a right angle drill might be really handy in a tight place.

61lOhdRa+vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I probably have hundreds of those in my buggy. All set by hand, wish there was a better way.

They're still unforgiving if you half ass the install and then crank the bolt down super tight and let it rust in there for a few years.

The harbor freight one works good
If you don't need the warranty you can find that same one cheaper online.

Ive seen hydraulic setting tools, don't remember brand though maybe call fastenal or mcmaster carr for info.

Ive seen hydraulic setting tools, don't remember brand though maybe call fastenal or mcmaster carr for info.
That's all I've been able to find so far is $100 or $1000+ stuff. Doesn't appear to be anything in the middle. Guess I'll do more 12oz curls and suck it up.

Reactions: PAE

We have 3 of the Firebird Tools at work. They are ok. Batteries are tiny ( 2Ah) and expensive, don't last long. The tools work, but are far from beeing cheap.

We have 3 of the Firebird Tools at work. They are ok. Batteries are tiny ( 2Ah) and expensive, don't last long. The tools work, but are far from beeing cheap.
After spending some time under the X3 last night, drilling all the 10mm holes sucks far worse than the quick squeeze it takes to install the rivnuts if I'm being honest. Just going to plow through em. If Milwaukee ever ends up making one, I'd probably buy one.

Late to the party, but this is what I use. Couple bucks on McMaster. Normal bolt that threads into the rivnut, then you tighten the two pieces together and they're reverse threaded so it pulls it apart. A small impact and an open end wrench and you zip through them super fast, I usually use a second impact/drill to remove/tighten the center bolt. Really fast, cheap, and effectively motorized. I also TIG weld the rim of the rivnut so it can't spin ever, and the rim acts like a piece of filler so it's fast and keeps it flush.

1700867675236.png

I've got the Astro Pneumatic tools:
I don't do enough of them to really have thought about needing a power tool for them.

I haven't had an issue with them spinning on anything I've used them for, but can see in a situation where they'd get some corrosion that could be a problem. Like has been said, drill the hole just large enough to tap the rivnut in and they hold pretty well. I have tacked a few in place just for added insurance, though.

Late to the party, but this is what I use. Couple bucks on McMaster. Normal bolt that threads into the rivnut, then you tighten the two pieces together and they're reverse threaded so it pulls it apart. A small impact and an open end wrench and you zip through them super fast, I usually use a second impact/drill to remove/tighten the center bolt. Really fast, cheap, and effectively motorized. I also TIG weld the rim of the rivnut so it can't spin ever, and the rim acts like a piece of filler so it's fast and keeps it flush.

1700867675236.png

Same for me, I've done several thousand of them with that tool.

I don’t believe I’ve ever set a single rivnut, I just remember a few times trying to remove bolts from them on various things, and it not working out.

First rule. Never use them where you can't get to the back of them.
Second rule. Anti-seize on any bolts you put into them.

I've used a pneumatic gun that worked pretty well. It had a chuck that held a cap screw so you could keep replacing it as it wore out. I have a Wurth manual ratchet set for installing them which was silly money at the time but works very nicely.
You can do it with a drilled hollow nut and cap screw, but it's ugly and they often crush off-centre.

I don’t believe I’ve ever set a single rivnut, I just remember a few times trying to remove bolts from them on various things, and it not working out.

Seeing how some of the people at the shop install them - grab a drill bit about the right size, wallow out the hole, give a half-hearted squeeze to the rivnut - I'm not too surprised from your experience. I take some time doing it right and haven't had any issues with the ones I've set.

First rule. Never use them where you can't get to the back of them.
Second rule. Anti-seize on any bolts you put into them.

If I can get to the back of them I'll use a regular nut...

Agree on the anti-seize, though.

It had a chuck that held a cap screw so you could keep replacing it as it wore out.

That is my one issue with my set - particularly the smaller sizes. Over time the force to set the rivnut is greater than the strength of the threads on the tool and they wear out.

That is my one issue with my set - particularly the smaller sizes. Over time the force to set the rivnut is greater than the strength of the threads on the tool and they wear out.

Never had one last long enough to wear threads out. Typically they stretch and break at the base of the threads on the smaller sizes. That's setting steel rivnuts 1/4-20 or smaller. We're talking a lot though over time into .120

Top Back Refresh