What's new

Corded drills

The one to avoid is a yellow no name brand drill. Or DeWalt will come after you. (Read a thread about that drama on the other forum).

If you really want to fuck yourself up. :flipoff2:
316FF394-5F31-4D50-9464-CA166ABDC1AC.jpeg
My dad has one of these that his old man bought new, wanna say it's got a 5/8 or better chuck on it. Doesn't get used much because it's been hurting him since he was in his early teens. Anything his Milwaukee couldn't spin that big bastard sure can when it's not trying to break your arm.

My dad has one of these that his old man bought new, wanna say it's got a 5/8 or better chuck on it. Doesn't get used much because it's been hurting him since he was in his early teens. Anything his Milwaukee couldn't spin that big bastard sure can when it's not trying to break your arm.
ooh
ya, those are just pain on a cord :laughing:

even worse if it has one of those clonk clonk on/off switches

as you stand there and wait for the drill to slow down wondering if it has enough cord before it pulls out of the wall watching it all wind into a ball, simultaneously wondering if your wrist is broken :laughing:

best drill ever :laughing: D-handle low RPM :smokin:

IMG_2516.JPG

just keep your face out of the way

IMG_2517.JPG

still have a scar there oddly enough

edit: I don't use the trigger lock anymore
That looks like the same black and decker version that I have. If I thread in a long enough piece of pipe and get it started first, it'll take the lug nuts off my truck when the pipe hits the ground.

I fawked up my M18 drill this weekend burying a 18" long 1" wood auger bit in some pressure treated, gearbox is making some bad noises once it starts to load up now :homer:

Need to steal dad's wrist breaker, then attach a good strong handle so I can hold the thing

Flashbacks of the milwaukee widowmaker we have at work. Though I'd be smart and thread a pipe into the top so I could get some leverage on it. Turns out leverage works both ways. My dad used to use it on a ladder?:lmao:

I think I bought a porter cable 7 amp deal specifically because it did not look like it could kill me. It comes out when my makita cordless starts to smell like ozone. Corded drills are such established tech that as long as the chuck is not garbage you should be good to go even with a new import.

I have the Milwaukee Magnum Wrist Breaker edition. It's attached to my tube notcher 99% of the time, but if I feel like punching myself in the face then I grab that for some hole drilling. I bought it at the old house, so it's gotta be getting close to 20 years old.
I have the same one and I'm a little afraid of it. I was reaming a hole for a trackbar stud on a D44 and that sucker caught me pretty good right in the temple.

Drill hasn't killed me yet! Chuck seemed to have some runout when I was using a holesaw to install some door handle hardware last week but that could also have been operator error. Needs a cord (on my easy Christmas list) but I wanted to let all of you know it hasn't smacked me in the face yet! I still haven't found a handle for it but haven't attempted to drill steel.

Fucking bunch of girls up in here. Crying over over the little Milwaukee magnum drill.

The milwaukee hole hawg is the drill to be frightened from. That fucker has picked my 220# ass off the ground and tossed me. That son of a bitch is pure evil. :flipoff2:

3A28500F-D64F-4819-9EB9-1F9FA9A45E59.png
Hah, little baaby drill.
You know those bigass 4297 mag drill motors?
Well, they also stick handles onto them so you can ride them like a mechanical bull if you so choose.
1854-1-Milwaukee-3-4-in-CHUCK-SUPER-HOLE-SHOOTER.jpg

ETA: wrong pic, I swear I've seen them with the MT3 socket spindle...

Fucking bunch of girls up in here. Crying over over the little Milwaukee magnum drill.

The milwaukee hole hawg is the drill to be frightened from. That fucker has picked my 220# ass off the ground and tossed me. That son of a bitch is pure evil. :flipoff2:
Mine turns so slow I have time to let go of the trigger before it spins me around. Great tool to put a pully on with a belt to start old rope pull motors.

Pussy!

That drill has a slip clutch.

The old scary Makita D-handle drills do NOT have a slip clutch. They also only had a click-click trigger so it's all or nothing!

41qkDpKJ1mL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_PIStarRatingTWO,BottomLeft,360,-6_SR600,31...png

Pussy!

Negative. They do not have a clutch but the have deep gear reduction and an on/off switch just like your Makita. There is no stopping them. I nearly broke my wrist on a few occasions the the bit grabbed and flung the drill around in a millisecond:eek:

The super hole hawgs have a clutch, and are longer for better leverage to operate the drill

Pussy!

The old scary Makita D-handle drills do NOT have a slip clutch. They also only had a click-click trigger so it's all or nothing!

41qkDpKJ1mL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_PIStarRatingTWO,BottomLeft,360,-6_SR600,31...png
I have the DeWalt version of that drill, it doesn't stop, either it is spinning the bit or it is spinning the drill.
The good part is that the trigger switch is reversible so you can smash both sides of your hand in under 2 seconds.

Aaron Z

I scored this antique monster at an auction and it was flat out scary. A Hand drill that takes Morse Taper 3... weighs 55 lbs without tooling. No thanks.
Ended up selling it to the machine shop of a big local dredging company. My buddy delivered it and when he trudged in with it two employees that heard it was coming in both cursed him!!

IMG_20190324_172235_997.jpg

0320190935.jpg

Last edited:
How the fuck does one person even apply appropriate feed pressure to make some semblance of a proper chip with and bit that deserves a drill that big?

I scored this antique monster at an auction and it was flat out scary. A Hand drill that takes Morse Taper 3... weighs 55 lbs without tooling. No thanks.
Ended up selling it to the machine shop of a big local dredging company. My buddy delivered it and when he trudged in with it two employees that heard it was coming in both cursed him!!

IMG_20190324_172235_997.jpg

0320190935.jpg
That looks like a job for three men. Men who are not me.:laughing:

How the fuck does one person even apply appropriate feed pressure to make some semblance of a proper chip with and bit that deserves a drill that big?
very easy, you predrill with a bit just large enough that the web of the final size clears
you go too big with the pilot hole and it'll self-feed and snap the drill bit off because MT doesn't slip like a chuck does

very easy, you predrill with a bit just large enough that the web of the final size clears
you go too big with the pilot hole and it'll self-feed and snap the drill bit off because MT doesn't slip like a chuck does
That, plus the weight of the drill and the two people it takes to run it.

I thought of that but stepping it up with multiple pilot holes doesn't require such a big drill though. You don't need a behemoth to remove a .300 x .015" chip (per flute) at "reasonable for a HSS drill" SFM so I'm still kinda scratching my head.

And this thing definily predates the proliferation of annular cutters.

Top Back Refresh