What's new

Copper ammo for deer (ca)

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
Member Number
Loc
First 50 club
School me
Have not hunted the prk since the tree huggers laws took effect...
Sending unit is a 60's Winchester mod 88 in 308.
Aint sighted it in on kommiefornia ammo.
What do I need to know?
I've touted this one around for40+ years, got swiped in Oregon and recovered in Ak. In the late 70's.
It's time for a new kill.

They also make a 194 grain but they are OOS.

Solid copper needs more velocity than your normal bullet to perform.

Lighter bullet than normal. Hitting bones wouldnt hurt

Just go Barnes, you can find factory loadings in normal times.

I still shoot lead, the consensus with Barnes is that nothing penetrates like them, you will nearly always get an exit, blood trail, and dead animal, but they often don’t kill as quickly as lead does.

Clean the barrel of that gun beyond clean, might take days to get all the shit out of it. It makes a big difference. Newer guns seem to handle the copper fine but some old ones just never seem to hit consistent with a factory load. I have a model 88 and a 100 that are in that ball park. No problems with lead but they struggle with copper. My main rifle for many years a remington 7600 30-06 will not handle any out of the box copper doesnt matter how clean or what brand, it just will not hit consistent at all. Basically retired it for California.

School me
Have not hunted the prk since the tree huggers laws took effect...
Sending unit is a 60's Winchester mod 88 in 308.
Aint sighted it in on kommiefornia ammo.
What do I need to know?
I've touted this one around for40+ years, got swiped in Oregon and recovered in Ak. In the late 70's.
It's time for a new kill.
I got me one of them, complete with 60's vintage 4x Weaver scope.

Reactions: Clb
Solid copper needs more velocity than your normal bullet to perform.

Lighter bullet than normal. Hitting bones wouldnt hurt

I havent shot game with copper (yet) but that doesn't make sense to me. It may make some sense :flipoff2: The expansion of the copper is controlled by the tip design but especially by the vertical cuts in the side that creates the petals and makes them open. If I was Barnes or any other mfg of copper or copper alloy composite I would certainly design these projectiles to perform at the same velocities as their jacket/core lead competition. There is an envelope window for almost any hunting projectile, and the bullets are designed for that velocity window. Thats all there is to it. Too slow, poor or no expansion, too fast and they can fragment or deform and reduce their wound channel. I was surprised at how high a published velocity both Speer, Hornady and Nosler recommend at terminal impact for their conventional hunting bullets. In most cases it was at or above 1,800 fps. Same as Barnes in most cases. From that info and a ballistics calculator you can find the effective range for most bullets' expansion performance.

Top Back Refresh