What's new

Cooper HT3's

DozerDan82

Master of the Universe!!!
Member Number
Loc
3rd Rock From the Big Ball of Fire
Old Girl needs some rubber. Currently on a mix match of tires, Hancooks in the back, and odd balls in the front as needed. Want to match all 6 and move on. Local place quoted $208 for the Cooper HT3's (235/85/16)

I have heard awesome things and hatefull things. The one thing I have noted over the years is that some tires will want to track funny bc of the road with the DRW- anyone run these on a DRW. My yearly mileage is down from what it used to be.

I plan on pulling the tires off the wheels, cleaning them up and if I have enough stud going to put my extra AL wheels in the inner rear to replace the steals. Then take the other two AL wheels and remount my good tires on them and have two spares.

At this point I want a tire that will go down the road straight, quiet, and not be useless in 4wd - will these do that?

What do you consider useless in 4wd? Isn't HT short for Highway Terrain? Those look to have a very similar, and completely useless (offroad) tread pattern that the Continentals I just pulled of my service truck have. Great on road but got you nowhere if there was even the slightest hint of moisture in the dirt. Straight mud and your calling a buddy to get pulled out even if it's flat ground.

My .02 cents.

What do you consider useless in 4wd? Isn't HT short for Highway Terrain? Those look to have a very similar, and completely useless (offroad) tread pattern that the Continentals I just pulled of my service truck have. Great on road but got you nowhere if there was even the slightest hint of moisture in the dirt. Straight mud and your calling a buddy to get pulled out even if it's flat ground.

My .02 cents.
Not expecting to go wheeling, but we do get that white fluffy stuff here. 4wd is more like eh its slipping on the grass in 2wd, grab 4wd and be good to go. Would rather better highway that off road.

If you dont mind dropping the brand name my family has had good luck with mastercraft (made by cooper I believe) and they have a couple tires similar to what your looking at for less $. The closest one looks and specs wise would be Courser HXT @ $156ea on simpletire and same 50,000mi warranty. They also have a mild AT that somehow has 55000mi warranty for $161ea Courser AXT2

If you dont mind dropping the brand name my family has had good luck with mastercraft (made by cooper I believe) and they have a couple tires similar to what your looking at for less $. The closest one looks and specs wise would be Courser HXT @ $156ea on simpletire and same 50,000mi warranty. They also have a mild AT that somehow has 55000mi warranty for $161ea Courser AXT2
I did see those when I was looking. Place I use for tires is literally down the street from work, so it is very convenient to use them. Drop off in the am and run down to grab it when they call. I can ask if they can get those or similar. When I stopped in the other day they recommended the Coopers and have them in stock.

I just need to get something, can't pull out hard or I burn rubber

I get convenience for sure, local place to me will let me drop off truck with tires in bed and mount them up even if I didn't buy them there. I went from buying and having them mounted local to buying online once I started saving like $40-50 per tire, then my dad got a tire changer so started mounting them ourselves and just needing balanced....and now he just got a bubble balancer so looks like I'll be a one stop shop lol.

I run Cooper Discoverer AT2s on the rear of my F350 CC dually. They work surprisingly well in "wet grass" without needing to use 4wd. I do have the Cooper Discoverer AT3s on the front, because I didn't need front tires at the time I bought the rears and by the time I needed fronts I couldn't get the AT2s anymore (well, not without them having 4 year old date codes on them:mad3:).
No issue with tracking really. I did notice the tires were a little "squirmy" on the road with lower air pressure. But that was right after I replaced the worn down Goodyear kevlar belted tires with the new Coopers with full tread at 65psi, so nothing really surprising I noticed that, IMO. I don't even notice it now.
One thing I have noticed is the sidewalls have developed small cracks down close to the bead. I don't usually put more than around 5K a year on the truck (tows 99% of the time), but do keep the tires sprayed down with 303 Protectant and covered when sitting.

I run Cooper Discoverer AT2s on the rear of my F350 CC dually. They work surprisingly well in "wet grass" without needing to use 4wd. I do have the Cooper Discoverer AT3s on the front, because I didn't need front tires at the time I bought the rears and by the time I needed fronts I couldn't get the AT2s anymore (well, not without them having 4 year old date codes on them:mad3:).
No issue with tracking really. I did notice the tires were a little "squirmy" on the road with lower air pressure. But that was right after I replaced the worn down Goodyear kevlar belted tires with the new Coopers with full tread at 65psi, so nothing really surprising I noticed that, IMO. I don't even notice it now.
One thing I have noticed is the sidewalls have developed small cracks down close to the bead. I don't usually put more than around 5K a year on the truck (tows 99% of the time), but do keep the tires sprayed down with 303 Protectant and covered when sitting.

Been busy as shit the past few months, thinking tomorrow or Friday I am going to get tires put on, it rained the other day and truck was undrivable. After mulling it over think I am going to go with the AT over the HT- just more all around useable.

Any thought of an at on the front an an ht on the rear?

I don't have any 4wd dually experience, but it would seem to gain the traction and be easier on fuel and scrub wear than the other way around...

Just things I pondered while driving my 2wd dually...

I run general Ameritrac on my dually... on its 4th set as they last 60k. No chopping, quiet, no issues, 80+ loaded. Lives married to a trailer.

I dont purposely try to get the truck stuck, but never had issues with 4wd not getting it done.

I can't keep coopers from scalloping on my f250. Even with new bilsteins and alignment. I'm over coopers.
I have never seen a cooper at2 or at3 wear even....as I was thru a parking lot, i look at tires....yah know gearhead... but any truck running less than new coopers they are cupped....granted other brands do it too.

Man I am curious on the Mastercraft HXT now... I have Hankook ATM's and have been pleased but the HXT looks good too.

Any thought of an at on the front an an ht on the rear?

I don't have any 4wd dually experience, but it would seem to gain the traction and be easier on fuel and scrub wear than the other way around...

Just things I pondered while driving my 2wd dually...
I have the V10, so I really doubt in my case I would see a difference in MPG (if it was 2wd) by running a mix of ATs and MTs. I get 7-9MPG no matter if I am pulling 20K or 2K.

Man I am curious on the Mastercraft HXT now... I have Hankook ATM's and have been pleased but the HXT looks good too.
I can't help with the HXT but my FIL just bought a set of the AXT2's and they are pretty damn nice looking. They are little more aggressive than they looked online but not an aggressive AT really, ride great with very little hum to them.

Attachments

• axt.jpg
    axt.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 21
Ran 2 sets of the AXT2s on my 02 8.1 XL with Great performance. Got 30k out of the first set due to shitty rotation program on my part and 40k out of the second that I swapped onto my dads 03 chevy 2500 6.0 and took his Kendra MTs as he hated the road noise on his 10 mile a day driving. I love the Kendra MTs but not on the ice, the ATX2s did great on everything but super sloppy mud.

I run general Ameritrac on my dually... on its 4th set as they last 60k. No chopping, quiet, no issues, 80+ loaded. Lives married to a trailer.

I dont purposely try to get the truck stuck, but never had issues with 4wd not getting it done.

I can't keep coopers from scalloping on my f250. Even with new bilsteins and alignment. I'm over coopers.

What do you run the tire pressures at? That's a contributor to cupping.

Top Back Refresh