What's new

Cool Tricks/Gadgets for Camping

MochaMike

All Whee Drive!
Member Number
Loc
Concord, CA
I started using this camping this year and think it’s almost the best thing since sliced bread. Basically genius.

What cool things have you found to make Camping & Wheeling easier/more enjoyable?
F7B86830-E3EE-4E63-A2CD-44A83BEE6AA7.jpeg

Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hammock and SuperFly Tarp.

We make up breakfast sandwiches/burritos in advance so we can get to fishing quick instead of spending the morning cooking.

I HATE doing dishes in camp. we pre-make ALL food for the day/week/month and freeze them in take-out containers. Pull out what you want for breakfast the night before and let it thaw, Same with dinner in the morning. throw them on the grill or stovetop to heat up.

2063891.jpg

About to head out on a long camping trip so I'll be watching this thread, Got the bug-A-salt ready to go.

I use a 2 gallon bug sprayer as a camp shower. I remove the long wand part of the sprayer and attached the spray end to the trigger assembly.

Sprayer.jpg

Boil one pot of water, add to sprayer with cold water to suited temp. Enjoy.

I HATE doing dishes in camp. we pre-make ALL food for the day/week/month and freeze them in take-out containers. Pull out what you want for breakfast the night before and let it thaw, Same with dinner in the morning. throw them on the grill or stovetop to heat up.

2063891.jpg
Yup. Did it last weekend.
20200613_080827.jpg

This reminds me, we fill those type of tin pans in various sizes with water to make block ice that seems to last well.

Last edited:
I precook taco meat so I can just warm it up in a pan then eat.
Always pack the ez up last, so you can haul it out, set it up, and unpack the truck under it.

For backpacking, the top of my pack always has a tube of fire paste, and a siltarp. If it gets really ugly out, or we declare a meal break, the tarp gets set up on trekking poles, then a fire can be started easily.

Last edited:
But then the tortilla is soggy and sad.

You're doing it wrong. make sure you let your ingredients cool to room temp before rolling them. this keeps the condensation from being trapped in your foil and greatly reduces soggy tortas. Slow and low in a pan or on the grill. also worth noting my wraps. twisted ends = bacon, flat ends = sausage. ;)

Never a soggy one (but definitely a few burnt ones when you lose focus and walk away from the grill for too long)

1630009780386.png

1630009746221.png

Last edited:
Been using this hatchet for a few years now in my travel trailer. I like it so much I bought another to have at the house.

Fisk.JPG

Bought a few of these to use while hunting. They’re great for adding water into a travel trailer, or just general water use.

photo9511.png

I realize it's an expensive item but my Engel fridge totally changed the way we camp. I bought it in like 2005 and have beat the shit out of it and still works like the day I bought it.

That doesn't seem much less messy than just building them on site.

yeah it is. So much so that the premade and frozen breakfast burrito became a standard breakfast item at home in my house. One morning and one mess to clean up to make 60-80 burritos. Days and days of ready to eat, no effort, yumminess while my bleary sleep soaked head begins to wake up. When my kids moved into teenage years, they often grabbed burritos for a snack or meal on the go.

I think it matters completely on if you LIKE to cook when you camp. If you see yourself as a trail gourmand or just like passing the time by cooking/cleaning, then by all means make it from scratch. I go camping to relax and do what I want... and cooking aint one of them. I like all premade and disposable containers. Then I can focus more time on trail riding, fishing, napping and/or drinking.

Maybe the posters in here should try and get a pair of balls :flipoff2:

Seriously though, we recently got a camp chef stove then the BBQ and griddle accessories. It's a little large for true trail wheelin, but it's nice to have.

For shorter trips where space is limited, I got this sweet single burner that burns propane or butane. Even has its own ignitor. Was like $30 on Amazon, I'll see if I can find the link.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQRD8EO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zdL6EbFXZT4CM?tag=91812054244-20

Worked great last fall when we woke up to a bunch of frost. I am that idiot who is always first up, so I put it on low under my chair while the fire was getting going :laughing:

I use a 2 gallon bug sprayer as a camp shower. I remove the long wand part of the sprayer and attached the spray end to the trigger assembly.

Boil one pot of water, add to sprayer with cold water to suited temp. Enjoy.

These are useful in super hot areas as well. I converted one for my daughter's softball games.
Simply adapted it to a mister hose with various spray points (found at hardware stores).
Simply add water and pump up- made the dugout 10* cooler.

Top Back Refresh