What's new

Concrete contractor screw up

the contractors kid just wanted to go home. From the few pictures the floor did not get away from them they did not wait it out to finish it.

Have you ever operated one? You don't push them anywhere. If you don't know how to steer them it's gonna be an epic experience :lmao:
No one really needs their rotator cuffs anyway.

Have you ever operated one? You don't push them anywhere. If you don't know how to steer them it's gonna be an epic experience :lmao:
Nope, not a concrete guy by any stretch if the imagination. Been around it a helluva lot but I leave that shit to the pros. :laughing:

You should be able to tell from the concrete truck tickets just how much water they added on site. As already stated, it seems like it was wet, not going off on them. When doing a heated slab, with impervious insulation underneath, all the bleed water has to come out through the top. Therefore, it should either be poured stiffer, or know ahead of time that it's going to take a long time to finish.

Grind it and have them acid stain it? That is my plan when i do a floor. No way i would epoxy it.

Guessing you don't see much concrete flatwork done that has been pumped.
Well I don't work on high rise construction and that's just about the only time you'll ever see a floor be pumped around here.

Front discharge mixers are SOP around here so there's less need for pumping than elsewhere.

Well I don't work on high rise construction and that's just about the only time you'll ever see a floor be pumped around here.

Front discharge mixers are SOP around here so there's less need for pumping than elsewhere.
We had a large (200x100ish) building put up at work last year, they had a pumper truck in to pour the foundation and a pair of them in to pour the walls.
They are not uncommon around here anywhere they are pouring foundations with limited access.

Aaron Z

We had a large (200x100ish) building put up at work last year, they had a pumper truck in to pour the foundation and a pair of them in to pour the walls.
They are not uncommon around here anywhere they are pouring foundations with limited access.

Aaron Z
Nobody bothers with a pumper unless there's enough margin to justify it. Stuff like high rise construction and someone's garage on Long Island sound where there's several million dollars of landscaping you don't wanna put a rut in. I guess your building had enough margin to justify the pumper but I don't see it much around here except in the cities.

Nobody bothers with a pumper unless there's enough margin to justify it. Stuff like high rise construction and someone's garage on Long Island sound where there's several million dollars of landscaping you don't wanna put a rut in. I guess your building had enough margin to justify the pumper but I don't see it much around here except in the cities.

We own a Telebelt. It places concrete with a belt vs being pumped. That that goes out 1-3 times a day may-oct. everyone uses them it saves a ton of labor. They will pay the $650 minimum just because they are short handed.

They are awesome for new construction. Dig the basement hole flat. The masons set the footing forms up. We come with the belt put down 2-3 loads of 3/4” clears stone to shore up boards and serve as drain tile. Then the mixers come and convey the concrete. All done with zero shoveling.

I never would have guessed it would be that busy. One of the better purchases we have made.

nobody around here uses cost as a factor when using a pump, they use a pump when its required :laughing: which is often due to the terrain here

I had my porch poured that you could pull a truck up to. They still paid the $400 fpr the pump just to make it easier

Pumped everything but the footings at my place. It's much easier for a bigger job, walls, or a floor inside. My friends got a pump though.

We own a Telebelt. It places concrete with a belt vs being pumped. That that goes out 1-3 times a day may-oct. everyone uses them it saves a ton of labor. They will pay the $650 minimum just because they are short handed.

They are awesome for new construction. Dig the basement hole flat. The masons set the footing forms up. We come with the belt put down 2-3 loads of 3/4” clears stone to shore up boards and serve as drain tile. Then the mixers come and convey the concrete. All done with zero shoveling.

I never would have guessed it would be that busy. One of the better purchases we have made.
Sounds expensive

Sounds expensive
sounds like less huge carbide wear parts and hardfacing rod than a pump

how long do the elbows on the boom of a pump truck last? gotta imagine they extrude-hone holes in them fairly quick

how long do the elbows on the boom of a pump truck last? gotta imagine they extrude-hone holes in them fairly quick
You aren't wrong. I actually googled it and we could definitely use a truck like that occasionally.

Or even just a couple light weight 24' conveyors that could be moved around with a mini ex.

They are much lighter tward end of life :laughing:

No idea on hours but its a consumable for sure, along with the s pipe. If it's cared for the rest of the pumping bits (delivery cyl and piston cups) last longer than you would expect.

Not having a written contract is a miscommunication.
We have contract and spec pages that are hundreds of pages long and things still get screwed up but meet the "spec". We just had several floor poured that have 3/8" low spots in them and according to the specs, it's acceptable at this point. All suspended floors. I doubt any home owner is going to have anything more detailed then Federal or City work specs..

Helpful still but it's not a cure all.

In our case they were pouring 8-10 ft high walls (from rough grade to the top of the finished wall) and pumping concrete down and into the bottom of them. From what I understood that way it got into the bottom and they had to do less air removal and consolidation with the vibrator on a stick.
The walls were also high enough that it would have been somewhat difficult to get a cement truck to pour into the top of the forms, even a front loader truck would not have had much slope down by the time they had the 3 chutes that they would have needed to reach from solid ground over to the wall.
Could it have been done with front loader trucks? Probably but it was done much faster with the pumpers and with the labor savings it was cheaper to do it that way.
The other ones I've seen done that way recently were foundations for prefab houses that were being built on a 6/12ish slope, one side of the house was at grade level, the other side had a walkout basement. They brought in a pumper for those so that they didn't have to get the driveway in enough to get a concrete truck to all three sides of the house, they just had to be able to get a pumper truck in off the road and 1-2 concrete trucks at a time to be able to access it.

Aaron Z

Reactions: IGT
We have contract and spec pages that are hundreds of pages long and things still get screwed up but meet the "spec". We just had several floor poured that have 3/8" low spots in them and according to the specs, it's acceptable at this point. All suspended floors. I doubt any home owner is going to have anything more detailed then Federal or City work specs..

You're specs are shitty and you should feel bad for letting them get included in the contract. :flipoff2:

The walls were also high enough that it would have been somewhat difficult to get a cement truck to pour into the top of the forms,
I always read that was a no-no, because the rocks will keep going to the bottom and you'll get an inconsistent mix...?

If that's not true, I'm gonna be pissed at the number of buckets I've run down a ladder...

Huh. Weird thread.

Op can beg the gc for help and maybe get some, but ultimately filling the lowest spots and maybe grinding some high ones is going to be the cheapest fix.

You won't see a dime without going to court , and you won't see anything after going to court, but it will add to the cost.

Might as well resign to fixing it cheap uourself

I always read that was a no-no, because the rocks will keep going to the bottom and you'll get an inconsistent mix...?

If that's not true, I'm gonna be pissed at the number of buckets I've run down a ladder...
Makes sense, might be why I have seen chute extensions for filling forms on some trucks:
CHC85 HANDY CHUTE.jpg

Source: CHC88 Handy Chute 8″ x 8′ Boot | Concrete Mixer Supply

Aaron Z

nobody around here uses cost as a factor when using a pump, they use a pump when its required :laughing: which is often due to the terrain here
Yep, not about margin, it is about whether or not you want a concrete floor or do without. When the only access to the foundation is a 15 foot wide driveway at the street, you pump. I think I was only on one job ever where we could have used a chute, the rest were not optional and had to be pumped. We also have never had the option to not have plastic under the slab unless it was hardscape. Point of all that is you can't pump low slump and the plastic prevents the subgrade from sucking out the water and yet, we still get nice finishes.

If you have thousands of words and missed “flat within X” over Y’ “ then someone should be fired.

Top Back Refresh