What's new

Concrete contractor screw up

Wait; for real? :eek:

miscommunication with contractor ... im smelling a theme

miscommunication with contractor ... im smelling a theme
You think I miscommunicated to the contractor that I wanted a garbage fucking job? Come on, what world are you living in that the result would ever have been requested by a customer.

You think I miscommunicated to the contractor that I wanted a garbage fucking job? Come on, what world are you living in that the result would ever have been requested by a customer.
Same guy do the floor as the footings?

Dammit, I hate to be that guy, but even though I agree you are getting fucked over here, you seem to have the expectations and coping skills of a bride on her wedding day 'OOMMGG something went wrong on my most perfectest day (forever home/shop) and now I literally want to burn it down because nothing anyone can do will ever be as good enough of what I was dreaming of"

Expecting perfection, coupled with major oversights like not putting anything in writing, are a recipe for unhappiness.

On the guy's lack of saying much when he looked at the finished work, yeah it could mean he just doesn't see anything wrong with it, but from the quality of work you say he's done in the past, more likely he was thinking in his head "holy fucking fuck this is fucked up, don't say anything incriminating, gonna have to think about how I'm going to fix this..." while he just muttered non-answers at you. Hopefully thats the case and after the holiday he has an acceptable plan to make things right.

I was going to cut those on Saturday. I was just going to go 1/2" deep @ 10' grids.

wait... you are going to cut them yourself this Saturday?

And you agreed with the concrete contractor that y'all would deal with it after the holiday?

Contractor is going to say "well... you cut it... it's yours.. no longer my problem"

wait... you are going to cut them yourself this Saturday?

And you agreed with the concrete contractor that y'all would deal with it after the holiday?

Contractor is going to say "well... you cut it... it's yours.. no longer my problem"
And why weren't they back a few hours after they finished to saw cut it? When we have had flat work done the contractor has always come back to cut it when its still green.

Aaron Z

And why weren't they back a few hours after they finished to saw cut it? When we have had flat work done the contractor has always come back to cut it when its still green.

Aaron Z
This. It's way too late to saw cut Saturday.

Try #2
This is what the shop floors are in the CAT house I work.
Tough as fuck, probably not cheap or easy.
anvil-top.jpg

So is it customary there to pour inside a finished building, or is that just the way it worked out? I’m guessing that’s a big part of it, nowhere to skrete the water off to, form boards too close to the wall to use as guides, etc… May just be an issue where they simply didn’t have the talent that knew how to work around that stuff.
I did it that way, I don't want a rain shower nonslip surface, or the neighbors cat doing his rounds evidence
Concrete guy liked it, he could do it when he was rained out of his other jobs

My floor turned out awesome

but he had the upside down helicopter thing,

Absolutely! When we do heated slabs, we prep for 5" of concrete, in addition to the insulation thickness. We do the insulation (either 1/4" reflective, or 1" foam), then lay down 6x6 welded wire to zip-tie the Pex to, then place #4 rebar in a 2' O.C. grid on top of the tubing. Cut a little more shallow than normal and we haven't hit one yet.

This one has a Versailles pattern cut into it.
way helpful, thanks man

Try #2
This is what the shop floors are in the CAT house I work.
Tough as fuck, probably not cheap or easy.
[A7140
huh, I'm now imaginining something like stainless steel aggregate, where the cement wears away until the aggregate is exposed enough to take the wear
something like real big shotblasting media or real small ball mill media

Maybe new 4" slab on top?
More slab more better
that's like 'me and some buddies and beer are gonna pour our own pad, none of us have ever touched a trowel, watching youtube turtorials as we're spreading it out' level results
My uncle did an entire driveway with family labor and it came out better than that.

Yeah so you can have one big low spot. They fucking suck especially in snow country . My shop has a 12’ diameter low spot in the far side of the garage. Everytime I bring in some equipment with snow on it I’m squeegeeing for 3 days to get ride of the standing 1/2” of water.

To be fair that side of the garage was never intended for the use I’m giving it. A couple new garage doors and that happens lol.
That sounds like a godsend. Just spread some bags of sawdust (every wood shop has some they'll give you for free) there and shovel it up and into the trash when it's saturated. You'll never have to worry about the local osha guy winding up in a deep hole because he saw a stream of oil dripping out your shop door.

Reactions: DMG
edit
only read the first post so carry on...
That is not what you paid for....
Any paperwork?
If you say "no" I'm out...

Last edited:

Easy.... it's called "I want it done cheap" Few people would intentionally want crap, but pretty common to demand the cheapest price possible and/or be a pain in the ass.... and then be surprised when you get something like this.

Easy.... it's called "I want it done cheap" Few people would intentionally want crap, but pretty common to demand the cheapest price possible and/or be a pain in the ass.... and then be surprised when you get something like this.
Pouring concrete that's way the fuck too wet for the application (this would have been fine in a pile or wall or some shit where the excess water can float up and GTFO) and then doing a shit job troweling it doesn't make it any cheaper though.

So is it customary there to pour inside a finished building, or is that just the way it worked out? I’m guessing that’s a big part of it, nowhere to skrete the water off to, form boards too close to the wall to use as guides, etc… May just be an issue where they simply didn’t have the talent that knew how to work around that stuff.
The farm I used to work for had old spud storages with dirt floors poured in concrete 8" thick to support the millions of lbs in weight. All work was done under roof of course and I'm told there is probably a pallet of bush cans in the floors because the guys were drinking the whole time they did the work. :laughing:

The floors are flat as fuck and in the 7 years I was on them I never saw any significant cracking or imperfections. I know the crew that did the work, they use push behind and ride on power trowels and hand finish the edges.

Pouring concrete that's way the fuck too wet for the application (this would have been fine in a pile or wall or some shit where the excess water can float up and GTFO) and then doing a shit job troweling it doesn't make it any cheaper though.
Guessing you don't see much concrete flatwork done that has been pumped.

"push behind" sounds interesting, there a different style than the real common ones you run like a floor scrubber?
They look just like a floor scrubber but they're about 3' diameter with a gas engine on top.

Quick Google search brings them right up.

I guess push behind is the wrong nomenclature but whatever, you get the jist. :laughing:

Attachments

• 01313_lPyKtK0I0Do_600x450.jpg
    01313_lPyKtK0I0Do_600x450.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 11
They look just like a floor scrubber but they're about 3' diameter with a gas engine on top.

Quick Google search brings them right up.

I guess push behind is the wrong nomenclature but whatever, you get the jist. :laughing:
Have you ever operated one? You don't push them anywhere. If you don't know how to steer them it's gonna be an epic experience :lmao:

Top Back Refresh