What's new

Concrete contractor screw up

Baconator

Member Number
I've been building a 4000 sq ft shop for the past year or so, this is my forever shop at a property where we are also building our forever home.
I hired a contractor to pour the shop floor, he has done all of the flatwork for the house and did good work, so I decided to hire him for the shop, huge fuckup on my part.

They poured it yesterday and it is some of the worst work I've ever seen, lots of high and low spots, some as deep as 1/2". There is lots of texture in the slab, I asked for a power troweled finish, they only troweled by hand and some spots look like they just hit it with the bull float.

Right now I am just sick over it, the floor is bullshit and I just want to burn the fucker to the ground. I did infloor heat so there is around $15k worth of insulation/pex/rebar and labor into the prep of the slab. I havent paid the contractor yet, he came back today and looked at it and didnt have much to say, he didnt seem to think there was a big issue with it. Was supposed to be a $26k job.

Wondering what irate thinks of this and what you would do.
IMG-5084.jpg
IMG-5084.jpg
IMG-5087.jpg
IMG-5086.jpg
IMG-5092.jpg
IMG-5091.jpg
IMG-5090.jpg

I’d make them grind it flat after it cures. Looks similar to the smaller shop floor my dad had some guys pour while ago. They came back over the top of it and leveled it out, it seemed to wear ok but I didn’t use it very hard.

Doesn't matter what WE think...it's your dream shop and you should be happy with it when it's to your standards.

Idk shit about fuck when it comes to concrete, but even I can see that looks like a bag of hot dicks. I'd be pissed and make them make it right before money is exchanged.

Is that something that can just be sanded down to make it right?

As said above, will you be fabricating on this or is it something that will stand up to epoxy after it is flattened

Welp he can either eat it or eat the cost of grinders and epoxy coat.
I have epoxy in my current shop and fucking hate it. I couldnt wait to get away from it, but looking like I am right back to where I started.

It’s shit work, but it looks like it could be fixed by grinding it.

I’ve seen much worse posted on this site, but that’s of little consequence.

Hopefully the contractor doesn’t put up much of a fight, that’s nowhere near acceptable.

oh lol
marks make it obvious they've never run a power trowel, nor even looked at a single video on how to run them

Looks like he finished it with a butter knife, you have every right to be pissed.

Mine was machine finished supper smooth, it's slick as shit when wet, but it's pretty tight so oil cleans up pretty decent without being sealed

no help on what to do with your contractor

knock the highs off with a rental floor grinder and deal with looking at that shit every day

could prolly look into some sort of lawyer type shit, but I dunno about that, seems like the lawyer gets the money and you only do it in order to fuck over the contractor

I have a small excavation company so lots of steel will be rolling over the floor, its no place for epoxy.

Ya, fawk epoxy. Grind and seal.

That fucking blows. The only true fix is tear it out and redo. :mad3:

Even the stoner masons down the road from me do a way way better job than that. Totally unacceptable.

My little brother ground a floor in one of our buildings. He spent 3 days leveling a nicer floor than yours and only 1/3 the size.

As said above find the lowest spot, grind and polish it, It could turn out looking pretty good, no epoxy, but seal it.

When he asks for payment ask him when he is going to finish the concrete first. It could be ground down but a 1/2" is alot of grinding to do. Also a grinder wont fit into the corners so it will still have high spots. The contractor should have insurance to cover a tear out and repour including the in floor heat.

In all seriousness.

I'm sure you have a contract with every detail right? Well, you know what to do then. Sucks, but it happens.

Oof, that’s some shit work. Those guys have never a big floor before. Minimum would be grind it useable, but that’s going to be a lot of work. You might want to just hammer it out and hire a real flatwork crew to pour it right. I wouldn’t accept that quality of work.

Sorry but it is what it is.

Top Back Refresh