What's new

Complete rewire of the Unimog

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
My 1955 mog has a slow drain and old wires for a 24v system. I've pulled every piece of wiring out and was planning on just buying fuse and relay boxes as needed.... then I started reading here. Now I'm debating getting this 26 Circuit Painless Wiring Kit which includes:
GM Column Mounted Ignition and Turn Switches, Dimmer Switch and two Headlight Pigtails

This harness includes circuits for:
  1. A/C & Heat
  2. Accessory #1 (Switched B+)
  3. Accessory #2 (Switched B+)
  4. Accessory #3 (Switched B+)
  5. Accessory #4 ( B+)
  6. Accessory #5 ( B+)
  7. Accessory #6 (Switched B+)
  8. Accessory / Cigarette Lighter
  9. Brake Lights
  10. Charging
  11. Fan Relay Activation Power
  12. Dome Light
  13. Electric Choke
  14. Emergency Flashers
  15. Fused Power Source
  16. Headlights
  17. Horn (Relay)
  18. Ignition Coil
  19. Instrument Panel Lighting and Gauges*
  20. Park Lights
  21. Radio/Clock (Constant and Switched)
  22. Starting
  23. Tail Lights
  24. Third Brake Light
  25. Turn Signals
  26. Wipers
* Including Wires For:
Fuel Gauge
Oil Gauge
Tachometer
Temperature Gauge
Voltmeter

IMG_2947.JPG

Here are my needs:
  • Ignition
  • Coil
  • Key
  • Dual radiator fans
  • Oil Cooler Fan
  • Gauge lights
  • Headlights
  • Tail lights
  • Backup lights
  • Signals
  • Dome light
  • Light bar
  • Rock lights
  • Winch
  • 4 Seat heaters

Future prep
  • Onboard welder
  • Stereo w/sub
  • Turbo & accessories (not sure requirements)
  • Rear steer
  • Transceiver radio & related stuff

Seems like it would be more than enough. I'm not crazy about the column mounted ignition, turn and dimmer but I can put all those on the dash.

Anything I'm missing or not thing about?

Universal Wiring Kits Archives

Somebody in another thread dropped a link to these guys if you want to stretch a buck. I bought 2 of the 21 circuit XLs just to have around for future projects.

On critical high-draw components, I'd modify the harness for heavy-duty relays with the relay supply side wired through manually resetting circuit breakers reachable from the drivers seat, if you want the MOST reliable, least likely to leave you stranded setup.

Austin

All if those suggestions are excellent.

As I don't drive Rennwagen daily, weekly.. or even monthly , I humbly suggest you add a purpose built commercial battery disconnect.

Big 2nd on relays on every load. Even my dome led runs off of a relay ( I can hear the relay cycle, so I know the circuit was engaged ) there are relay sockets with an integral fuse, but as stated in the prior posts, resettable breakers are the ticket.

Oh.

And dont forget to label each wite and relay and document in a schematic for future needs.

EF95E387-8C5C-4950-A8C9-9C91EA8D2331.png
Will trade you a pair of NOS 24V led headlights for 3 irate hoodies...? 2-XL & 1-M, I’ll even cover shipping. Basically identical to these I just found on eBay for crazy money! I prob still have 1 or 2 of the military style housings too, but at least 6 or more of the 24V led headlights....

That's the same Painless kit I bought for wiring my JKU. All the wires are marked every 6" or so, as to what they are for.
The cover for the fuse block is also tall enough to replace the fuses with resettable blade type circuit breakers.

You'll pay more than you need to for painless, there are a lot of Hot Rod wiring kits that are significantly cheaper than Painless, and every bit as good of quality.

I must have accidentally turned off notifications for this thread, so I missed the last few.

Will trade you a pair of NOS 24V led headlights for 3 irate hoodies...? 2-XL & 1-M, I’ll even cover shipping. Basically identical to these I just found on eBay for crazy money! I prob still have 1 or 2 of the military style housings too, but at least 6 or more of the 24V led headlights....
Going 12v and already got some headlights. Killer offer though! :beer:

Since posting this, and reading other threads here, I've been looking more into Switch Pros. They are $$$ but they way they are built you don't need fuses/relays and they can run just about anything.... even start your rig now. Thats just from reading their site, I probably need to read the install instructions and map stuff out. Again $$$$ .... but the drool factor is up there

Last edited:
We've used almost every wiring manufacturer out there.

American Auto Wire is who we use now and have for about 8 years.

Check out their 499216

Painless is anything but.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh