What's new

Combining two internet connections for more speed?

larboc

Limestone cowboy
Member Number
Loc
Da yoop
Trying to get my in-laws internet at their very rural house so that my MIL can work from home and avoid the 100 mile/day commute. I was able to get set up with an LTE based internet connection through a local university. It's a small outdoor POE antenna/modem combo which I mounted in place of the LNB on an old 9' TV satellite dish they had in their yard and pointed it at the tower. Gets much better signal than the 40' tower we first tried. Consistently getting 20+MB/s down and 4MB/s up which is pretty much the limit of the ISP.
My MIL's employer requires 40MB/s down, 10MB/s up when running a google speed test and my MIL will not fudge the numbers at all. Nothing she is doing however requires more than 4MB/s down, 0.5MB/s up (tested). Sparing the frustrating details.

ATT coverage is virtually non-existent at their house, however if you put a phone or hotspot next to the internet modem in the dish, it goes to 5 bars of service and I can get 25 down, 5+up.
I've tried bridging in windows but it never seems to combine their speed. I also tried speedify but it actually slowed down the download speeds. It did combine uploads and I was able to get just over 10 up.

Any suggestions on good ways to combine an ethernet and wifi internet connection that would improve a speed test? If I was able to get close to the sum of both connections, with an algorithm that would only use ATT as a backup bandwidth source, I think we could just get over the 40/10 threshold and be okay with the cheapest data only plan for the hotspot.

I know on servers you can create a "virtual" NIC to team two physical connections.

Never tried to even see if it's possible on a PC OS much less with different mediums and throughputs.

Do some research on NIC teaming to see if it's an option. But beware, since you are using two different mediums for the physical connections, you may end up with the maximum throughput available from both combined but introduce so much latency that it may seem worse than just the single throughput.

Good luck.

I know some of the Asus routers can be setup with multiple connections. I had to use custom firmware on the router. I used to use a USB stick from Verizon plugged into the router for the main internet connection. Later on, I got two cable connections and teamed them through the router. I'm pretty sure you could team an Ethernet connection and a USB connection.

I don't think it would give you the desired results though. You would still only be using one connection at a time during a speed test.

Get a cell phone booster. I have one for when i work in remote pits. I go from zero barsIf 4g to max bars of lte. Should solve your cell phone issue.

I don’t know shit about fuck, but i thought 2 internet connections would let you configure a ring network for stability, but wouldn’t do anything for speed.

i look forward to learning.

i can say i use Netgear LB1120 4g LTE modem with great success.

i had to find the Provider that worked best for my specific location. AT&T wouldn’t work at all, Verizon was only slightly better, T-Mobile is the shit though. It works perfect for this particular spot. If you were trying to make it work with the provider you’ve already have, you might ought to quit that thinking. You don’t give a fuck if the Connection works in town or anywhere but the 6 Square inches that your modem is sitting.

an ubiquiti edgerouter will do this with a wizard.
like $65 on amazon.
you will need two ethernet wires to feed it. I'm not sure how it will look to a speed test since it probab;y can only test one connection at a time and not the etire load shared deal.

an ubiquiti edgerouter will do this with a wizard.
like $65 on amazon.
you will need two ethernet wires to feed it. I'm not sure how it will look to a speed test since it probab;y can only test one connection at a time and not the etire load shared deal.

it doesn't bond for a single connection. so your speed test will only use 1 of those uplinks.

to bond correctly you gotta go back to a datacenter, assemble the connection and use the data centers uplink for greater than single downlink speeds.

Last edited:
Get a cell phone booster. I have one for when i work in remote pits. I go from zero barsIf 4g to max bars of lte. Should solve your cell phone issue.

This. BUT you're not going to get a 20mb jump in speed with a booster.

I'd fake some router in line and find a speed test that has the #'s you need, take a screen cap and tell her you fixed the issue.

This. BUT you're not going to get a 20mb jump in speed with a booster.

I'd fake some router in line and find a speed test that has the #'s you need, take a screen cap and tell her you fixed the issue.

This.
Remote access such as VPN and/or RDP/Citrix/VMWare desktop access doesn't need alot of throughput, latency is a much larger performance hit.

Top Back Refresh