What's new

CO UT Wheeling Trip *gasp* in CC

72blazer

Marion Cobretti
Member Number
Loc
The Real South Texas
This is a continuation from another unspoken forum:::

I’ve talked about going to Moab since early 2000s. It’s been on my bucket list way too long so I’m putting my big boy pants on to make it happen. Kids are getting older and I want to share this trip with them.

The initial plan: acquire a stock JL Rubicon that may or may not be on 35-37s...most likely on the stock 33s. Make a trip with another couple of Jeeps on 35s. We want to do scenic and mild trails...I’d like to do some technical stuff but nothing that is going to risk body damage. I have my built rig for that and I’m taking time off from that because of other issues that would require another thread. I’d be with my family including 3 kids aged 10-14.

current build: 2018 JLUR on 37s and mild mods. Currently lacking a winch and square cowl lights (not needed for the trip but considering some night wheeling). Need to install my delete pipe, spring correction pads, and steering stabilizer.

all ABNBs locked down. Awaiting for official word that stuff will be opening soon as stated at the end of the month.

Looking for more suggestions for Moab as it looks like we may have more time to wheel here. Anything to night wheel near Delicate Arches? Posting our most current itinerary: Open to suggestions or comments. Things to see or things to skip. Didn’t get many suggestions for food to eat in Moab. Anyone willing to join to wheel or shoot the shit at a bar is more than welcome to.

Friday 07/24
0500 Depart South Texas
1800 Arrive Roswell
​Dinner in Roswell

Saturday 07/25
0700 Depart Roswell
​Breakfast/ Lunch on the road
1400 Arrive Durango
​Hang around town or hit Ophir Pass
​Dinner---SERIOUS BBQ or OVEN BRICK PIZZA
​Durango ABNB

Sunday 07/26
0700 Depart Durango
​Trail:::Black Bear Pass
​Lunch on the trail: __________
​Trail:::Imogene Pass
​Dinner at ABNB: ____________
​1 hour drive to cabin

Monday 07/27
No Time Schedule
​Ouray Springs
​Lunch
​Dinner

Tuesday 07/28
0700 Depart to Alpine Loop
​Lunch on the trail: __________
​Hang out in Ouray
​Dinner:

Wednesday 07/29
0800 Depart to Moab
​Lunch:
​Trail:::Fins N Things?
​Dinner:

Thursday 07/30
0800 Depart Trails
​Trail:::Hell’s Revenge
​Lunch:
​Trail:::Top of the World
​Dinner:

Friday 07/31
​Trail::: Golden Crack?
​Lunch
​Hang out in town
​Delicate Arches (dusk)

Saturday 08/01
​Trail::: Rim Rock?
​Depart to Roswell (6 hours)

Sunday 08/02
​Depart Home

Bump. Looking for some more Moab trails to hit. 3 jeeps on 37s. Definitely want to avoid body damage.

Rocker Knocker? Rim Rock? Golden Spike?

Bump. Looking for some more Moab trails to hit. 3 jeeps on 37s. Definitely want to avoid body damage.

Rocker Knocker? Rim Rock? Golden Spike?

I wish I had a Jeep! I would follow you with the wife!

My advice? If you're wanting to do both SW CO and Moab, make it a longer trip. You're not gonna see much that's not through a windshield trying to do all that in that short of time and you'll need a vacation to recover from your vacation.

My advice? If you're wanting to do both SW CO and Moab, make it a longer trip. You're not gonna see much that's not through a windshield trying to do all that in that short of time and you'll need a vacation to recover from your vacation.

No more time. We have Colorado set. Looking for another trail or two to add in Moab. None of us could really take much more time off. And it seems Moab people only see what’s through a windshield for the most part.

My only advice is add some time in around Silverton. Make sure you eat and drink at Handlebars Food & Saloon.

looottta road miles there.

B414F601-68E8-49BD-BD33-74802217D0E9.jpeg

:flipoff2:

Simple solution would be to buy a Jeep instead of a 1/2 ton...

:flipoff2:

if I could find a Jeep, or a half ton with a 6.5’ bed that wasn’t as much as a 3/4 ton diesel I would have Fo2!

wife wants to buy a Jeep so I don’t have too. It’s a double win for me.

if I could find a Jeep, or a half ton with a 6.5’ bed that wasn’t as much as a 3/4 ton diesel I would have Fo2!

wife wants to buy a Jeep so I don’t have too. It’s a double win for me.

That’s a win! :smokin:

I’m pretty sure you can get a F150 SCREW with the 6.5’ bed, but when I looked it was only available in the upper trim levels which put you well into the cost of a 3/4 ton. Chevy has a 6.5’ bed option, but they’re hard to come by.

Have you looked at the Ford F-250 or F-350 tremor package?

That’s a win! :smokin:

I’m pretty sure you can get a F150 SCREW with the 6.5’ bed, but when I looked it was only available in the upper trim levels which put you well into the cost of a 3/4 ton. Chevy has a 6.5’ bed option, but they’re hard to come by.

Have you looked at the Ford F-250 or F-350 tremor package?

That is basically it, a F150 with a 6.5, is almost the same price as the F250 with the 6.7 diesel with the options I want.

No, I don't know if I would want to get a 3/4 with that package to take off road. Seems like an expensive rig to wanna take too far off the beaten path, but it is sweet looking.

Flat Iron Mesa. south of Moab
Seven Mile Rim. North of Moab (Ran this in my wife’s stock Tacoma)
Kane Creek. West of Moab

Flat Iron Mesa. south of Moab
Seven Mile Rim. North of Moab (Ran this in my wife’s stock Tacoma)
Kane Creek. West of Moab

What do you think about running Golden Spike, Moab Rim, or Cliff Hanger with our setups? I have seen some stuff on Kane Creek and looks like a good time as well. Will check out the other two suggestions.

Why are you scared of body damage? Let’s go and tear shit up. Body damage helps build character and sets you apart from the mall crawlers. Should be a good trip either way. Looking forward to it.

Why are you scared of body damage? Let’s go and tear shit up. Body damage helps build character and sets you apart from the mall crawlers. Should be a good trip either way. Looking forward to it.

You remember what happened with my Blazer? :homer: Anyway, easy to say when you drive a POS. :stirthepot::flipoff2:

What do you think about running Golden Spike, Moab Rim, or Cliff Hanger with our setups? I have seen some stuff on Kane Creek and looks like a good time as well. Will check out the other two suggestions.

You said JKs on 37s?

I've done a run on cliffhanger and it was mostly JKs on 37s, no problem. I actually thought cliffhanger was a good trail, 4-5 good technical spots and some great scenery and not too long.

I've done Posion Spider mesa-Golden Spike-Gold Bar Rim trail in a toyota truck on 35s and one locker, no problem. It is a full day of wheeling and its a lot of driving. I think the rusty nail trail cuts some time off?

Kane Creek is rather easy till the end. I only remember one spot at the end though that was a problem for the toyota. Maybe its gotten harder. Its just kinda neat to be able to drive through the creek.

Body damage isn't that big of an issue in Moab I feel. There are some spots that can get you, but for the most part its pretty open. Not a lot of big boulders or trees you have to work around. On the flip side, there isn't much to keep you from cartwheeling down a hill either.

Kevin

You said JKs on 37s?

I've done a run on cliffhanger and it was mostly JKs on 37s, no problem. I actually thought cliffhanger was a good trail, 4-5 good technical spots and some great scenery and not too long.

I've done Posion Spider mesa-Golden Spike-Gold Bar Rim trail in a toyota truck on 35s and one locker, no problem. It is a full day of wheeling and its a lot of driving. I think the rusty nail trail cuts some time off?

Kane Creek is rather easy till the end. I only remember one spot at the end though that was a problem for the toyota. Maybe its gotten harder. Its just kinda neat to be able to drive through the creek.

Body damage isn't that big of an issue in Moab I feel. There are some spots that can get you, but for the most part its pretty open. Not a lot of big boulders or trees you have to work around. On the flip side, there isn't much to keep you from cartwheeling down a hill either.

Kevin

Two JKs on 37s and one JL on 37s. Lots of great info. Thanks!

Two JKs on 37s and one JL on 37s. Lots of great info. Thanks!

If your locked front and rear you should be able to do any of the trails there. Go explore and have fun. Its probably different than anything you've ever encountered offroad so use your best judgement. The vehicles are more capable than you would think out there.

Kevin

If your locked front and rear you should be able to do any of the trails there. Go explore and have fun. Its probably different than anything you've ever encountered offroad so use your best judgement. The vehicles are more capable than you would think out there.

Kevin

Yes. All three locked.

Top Back Refresh