What's new

Clearing cities - what's the end game?

Huntmaster

Boob Inspector
Member Number
Loc
Middle of nowhere
I only know of two cities that are doing this, but there's probably more.

Detroit and Chicago both have entire sections of town that the city is leveling. There are entire neighborhoods that are nearly completely void of absolutely anything.

So what is the end game? What do they think is going to happen to those areas? Are they hoping the rich move in and build nice new houses? Do they think getting rid of the houses will get rid of the bad neighborhood? What gives?

What other cities are doing the same?

they just need to destroy the areas because it is cheaper to raze everything than it is to maintain it. those cities need to shrink to match their population better

If you have 100 people scattered across 10 blocks it is cheaper to maintain infrastructure by moving those people into 3-4 blocks and bulldozing the others. Less sewers to maintain, less roads to maintain, less power lines to maintain, etc.

Someone watches tim pool. Those places were 3rd world level shanty towns. Good example of failed public housing and more green areas and places to build. Chicago is delusional in that they think people and business want to move there.

What area or neighborhood in Chicago is being cleared by the city?

Does the city purchase this property? Private developers? Someone forecasting an improvement in bare land prices in a gentrified area? Or do they just unload the d9 and go to town?

City owned due to abandonment/foreclosure, then auctioned off like any other municipal auction. I know there was some investment groups were doing much of the buying in Detroit. The hope being you can make dollars on your pennies if a developer comes along.

Just deed the properties for unpaid taxes. City takes them.

In Detroit, it is mostly tearing down old homes that have been left behind and condemned. Local news mostly talks about residential and not as much the leftover commercial property.

They are owned by the city and it's called "Detroit Land Bank". Many of these homes were nice homes that fell into disrepair. In the 60s, people were moving to the suburbs. This sped up with 1967 riots. If the house is condemned then there are anti-blight rules that use government funding to tear down the property. I believe there are some fix-ups going on for the properties that aren't beyond repair.

I've seen some of the bigger sections being turned into community gardens.

https://buildingdetroit.org/

In Detroit, it is mostly tearing down old homes that have been left behind and condemned. Local news mostly talks about residential and not as much the leftover commercial property.

They are owned by the city and it's called "Detroit Land Bank". Many of these homes were nice homes that fell into disrepair. In the 60s, people were moving to the suburbs. This sped up with 1967 riots. If the house is condemned then there are anti-blight rules that use government funding to tear down the property. I believe there are some fix-ups going on for the properties that aren't beyond repair.

I've seen some of the bigger sections being turned into community gardens.

https://buildingdetroit.org/

This^

If you have 100 people scattered across 10 blocks it is cheaper to maintain infrastructure by moving those people into 3-4 blocks and bulldozing the others. Less sewers to maintain, less roads to maintain, less power lines to maintain, etc.

Also a lot less abandoned building for derelicts and druggies to squat in.

Learned about it in a moto blog, but look at Englewood. W68th and S Lowe, and other areas around there. Same thing as Detroit

They are building industrial parks in that area to attract jobs. My friend is doing excavating for an amazon fulfillment center there and there is a Method soap factory there. I just turned down a job offer at a mfr around there because the pay wasnt worth the hazard of driving through the murder Capitol of the USA to and from work daily.

Wow, I see the mass paranoid "everything's a giant conspiracy" disease transferred from PBB to IPP. :laughing::laughing::laughing::flipoff2:

Wow, I see the mass paranoid "everything's a giant conspiracy" disease transferred from PBB to IPP. :laughing::laughing::laughing::flipoff2:

You must lead a sad exisitance without any immagination, :stirthepot: I highly doubt many of us except maybe Skippy (everboob) or maybe evil twit actully believe in all the conspiracys posted here, but that doesn't mean they don't exsist, because history is repleat with them .

You must lead a sad exisitance without any immagination, :stirthepot: I highly doubt many of us except maybe Skippy (everboob) or maybe evil twit actully believe in all the conspiracys posted here, but that doesn't mean they don't exsist, because history is repleat with them .

You need to ad AF to the list for it to be official.

:flipoff2:

Believe me, I have plenty of imagination, but I also have the smarts to recognize bullshit when I see it. Looks like lots here lack that ability. :flipoff2:

Hahaha. They have been bulldozing projects and neighborhoods in chicago since the 90s, and now its getting attention..... seems like the natural cycle of the city to me, things are created, others hit the end of their usefull life and are removed, repeat.

So you don't believe in them but they actually exist?

Hahaha. They have been bulldozing projects and neighborhoods in chicago since the 90s, and now its getting attention..... seems like the natural cycle of the city to me, things are created, others hit the end of their usefull life and are removed, repeat.

Older/rundown areas were being bulldozed where I grew up in The Milwaukee, Wi. area all the way back in the late 1950's. There's nothing nefarious about it.

Top Back Refresh