What's new

cleaning a vehicle on a lift

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
ive got a 01 f550 bucket truck on the two post at work. Gasket between the trans and transfercase shit out and there is..oil everywhere. So much oil.

Its so bad id like to power wash it on the lift and still might do so but is there any tricks other than a fuckton of brake clean and rags.

I was thinking dawn...a bristle brush and a wet dry vac.

Anybody have anything ebtter than that?

I would forego brakeleen and use foaming gunk engine brute stuff. That gel stuff sticks around and in my experience works great. Hot pressure washer too if you have access.

I would forego brakeleen and use foaming gunk engine brute stuff. That gel stuff sticks around and in my experience works great. Hot pressure washer too if you have access.
i have a fancy steamer but its in the shop..deep int he shop no floor drain

I know you mentioned pressure washer so I went that route. Didn’t think you’d mind some mess in the shop. Either way, I would absolutely 100% use a pressure washer as much as possible. Even if it’s a regular one outside and you put the truck up on blocks or whatever. It’s a 550, it’s not that low.

They make an undercar attachment for pressure washers. Use one with the soap feed and clean the at bitch outside.

If you're worried about the lift, just attach some plastic sheeting over it to keep the spray off. Otherwise, I'd go to town with a pressure washer without a second thought on a 2 post....my in ground lift though, not so much.

Mineral spirits sprayed on with a pneumatic solvent gun is my go to.
I don't ever worry about the floor but you might want to.

If pressure washing make a 8'x8' cube out of 2x4's on edge and use a tarp to form a pit.

No experience with one.
1627430054042.png

If you're worried about the lift, just attach some plastic sheeting over it to keep the spray off. Otherwise, I'd go to town with a pressure washer without a second thought on a 2 post....my in ground lift though, not so much.
Not worried about the lift, its everything around it im worried about.

If pressure washing make a 8'x8' cube out of 2x4's on edge and use a tarp to form a pit.

No experience with one.
ive got a ghetto one but this is what i did with mineral spirits, then a hit it with a wire poofy ball on my drill, worked out well.

Hang a Tarp on vehicle side and front or back. Let shop vac run with hose on floor and have at it.

No experience with one.
1627430054042.png
I called that a flat rate gun and use solvent from the parts washer. Works great.

we always used the original recipe gunk and then used just normal garden hose pressure water to blast it off with
I used the pressure washer once and it worked amazingly better

sorry about your not having a floor drain
suppose I'd use the pressure washer to minimize the amount of water used and then just clean it up afterwords
it'll blast the gunk everywhere in your shop though

maybe time to get another hoist and install it outside?

My old shop the plan was to do a concrete lean to off the side and install a 4 post lift so I could drive a truck on it, lift it up and clean it and then pressure wash the slab clean off the edge since it would be outdoors and I would have gravel to stop the water from eroding the slab. No help to you but I would build a pit out of 2x4's and a tarp to catch the stuff under the vehicle and go at it and then with some friends hold edges of tarp up and walk it out the door to get the water and crap out of the shop. That's what I would do and i'm using a harbor freight carport cover frame with some thin plastic and some old sheets on floor to make a spray booth in my shop to paint the chassis of the truck i'm working on right now

sorry about your not having a floor drain
You work on enough shit piles to know better than that.

If you're tied into septic the chemicals and oils fuck up your septic. If you're tied into sewer the city might come looking for where all the chemicals and oil come from depending on how much work you do and how much makes it to the drain. That's assuming you don't clog the trap and pipe with an impermeable mass of rust chips and oily dirt.

Best case you just have a fairly straight pipe to a "leech field" (i.e. old washer drum full of gravel) somewhere deep under the slab but that'll eventually fill with impermeable oil dirt and stop working.

Floor drains suck. Graded slab sloped to the door is where it's at. Open the door and sweep that shit out. :smokin:

ive worked in shops with drains on both side of your bay and a wash bay. We rent this shop and are about to move into a more permanent shop and i think they are going to put the two post outside which is what i kinda want.

In this case i was supposed to just reseal the external seals on the transfer case and the gasket to the transmission. But im the only heavy line guy this month :shocked: and i get like 20 mins with it a day. so the transmission has been bagged and thats it...a dusty parking lot that would be scary :eek:

Edit: when i drained the tcase the atf was black and burn, and metal flake came out of it. So i tore it down and found bearings locked up, heat marks on the shaft and the mode selector ring totally fucking destroyed. its a np271-f and im about 390 in parts so far, With chain replacment ...high miles cheap insurance.

Simple green seems to be working for me.

You work on enough shit piles to know better than that.

If you're tied into septic the chemicals and oils fuck up your septic. If you're tied into sewer the city might come looking for where all the chemicals and oil come from depending on how much work you do and how much makes it to the drain. That's assuming you don't clog the trap and pipe with an impermeable mass of rust chips and oily dirt.

Best case you just have a fairly straight pipe to a "leech field" (i.e. old washer drum full of gravel) somewhere deep under the slab but that'll eventually fill with impermeable oil dirt and stop working.

Floor drains suck. Graded slab sloped to the door is where it's at. Open the door and sweep that shit out. :smokin:
pile of ice at the door
lovely time chipping that shit
pipe that goes toward the road ditch doesn't clog, doesn't freeze (if you do it right) and doesn't make your driveway into an icy muddy oily mess

I got 4 in ground hoists from work
they're in various states of crappy
I'm gonna put the second crappiest in the ground outside eventually
nicest two will go indoors once I've got an indoors in the plans

actually with how dry its been I should really get round to jamming that **** in the dirt while the water table's low enough that I can dig a 10' deep hole

If you think you will clean more than one vehicle on the lift get a spill containment berm and a drop in a sump pump to suck out the water and some white pig mats to suck up the oil and grease so just water is what your sucking up. Once done pick up shitty oily pig mats and dispose of and roll up berm for later use.

Top Back Refresh