What's new

Classic Car market

Action Fab

Get off my lawn
Member Number
Not the museum quality, ultra rare, dont rack up the miles car market, but the bring a trailer, nice survivor, affordable to the average joe market.

Where do you see it going specifically?

80s cash for clunkers cars

Becoming harder to find

Some have good style some have decent power

I see it going down, I sold my EBs, 70s ford trucks and mustang fast back

haggertty I think it is tracks all this stuff from auction results and 9 out of 10 categories were trending down before the fake flu

When times get tough all those "nevva gunna sellit" cars go up for sale real fast so they can make 2 more tahoe payments

I imagine by Christmas you'll see a lot of stalled project cars, even drivers, early corvettes, Broncos, 67-72 Chevys, start hitting Craigslist

Becoming harder to find

My worry with those cars is in how poorly they are aging. Especially the obd1 vacuum spaghetti EFI cars.

The late 60's through mid 70's land yacht with massive amounts of architecture are currently catching my attention.

But I'm curious to hear the opinions.

haggertty I think it is tracks all this stuff from auction results and 9 out of 10 categories were trending down before the fake flu

When times get tough all those "nevva gunna sellit" cars go up for sale real fast so they can make 2 more tahoe payments

I imagine by Christmas you'll see a lot of stalled project cars, even drivers, early corvettes, Broncos, 67-72 Chevys, start hitting Craigslist

I think we agree. Do you think the market will come back? Because I think it will, but in a new way.

Becoming harder to find

Pretty much this but...

There are a lot of us looking into that market with the $$$ to spend, to make it worse there is a huge segment of Youtube dedicated to this very thing. I see the market for anything remotely cool from the 80's rising over the next few years. I myself am looking for British or German stuff while it's still reasonable.

Agree, although I was of a mind it would be happening right about now. Guess I was wrong, thanks various .gov money bags.

since before i bought my 1940 body to try and build a rock crawler with, i've been halfassedly watching 'tween war cars as *one of these days* i'm going to pick up one for a daily driver.

seems like they are going back up the last couple years, even the less desireable models. None seem to be at their ~2006 or whatever it was peak, but they certainly aren't going down any more. All driver quality, older restores, projects, those things. pretty easily seems like a ~15% increase over the last year. maybe they aren't selling for what they are asking, but the cheap end of decent doesn't seem to be dropping.

My worry with those cars is in how poorly they are aging. Especially the obd1 vacuum spaghetti EFI cars.

The late 60's through mid 70's land yacht with massive amounts of architecture are currently catching my attention.

land yachts are fucking awesome :smokin: big block and a carbermater, EPA be damned.

I think we agree. Do you think the market will come back? Because I think it will, but in a new way.

Well, first off, I think we're going to have a 2nd great depression soon, and just about everything will go down in price, I sold my toys at what I figured was the top, over the last 2 years, I'll buy equipment and a home when prices fall, then buy up any toys I may want.

Aside from my speculation, there's trends.

After 2008 crash, cars got pushed hard on subprime borrowers, in 2007, everybody got a house, I 2017 everybody got a brand new quad cab truck or sports package sedan, and rented a house with their friends.

Car prices got jacked up, this also made a mini boom in people restoring junk nobody wanted, if a new base v6 f150 is 32k, people start putting $700 paint jobs on 87 rangers that we were crushing 5 years earlier

now everybody has cars out the wazoo, and now we have 20% unemployment and a shit ton of people working from home, we have a huge supply of cars all the way from brand new cars down to the $500 beater that a teenager would buy, but there's no job for him right now, so those go no bid too.

so the collector cars get turned out, nobody turns in the Denali and starts driving the K5 again, they dump that to buy time, they swore they'd never sell, but they fold when the first pink letter comes.

the collector cars don't get the interest because buyers are scared, or waiting for a better deal. The collector cars don't get the interest, because, like bare land vs house, in a hot market, you add value by improving, in a buyers market, it's cheaper to just buy a completed one.

Now you've got regular guys, I want something cool, 67 cougar, 78-79 bronco, 67-79 ford crew cab, 99 2 door tahoe, etc
but.....
when those 2017 f150s and f250s with air conditioned seats start dropping like rocks, I'm going to have a hard time not stepping up my daily driver or tow rig, I think there's a lot of guys in the same boat

I've seen some trends thru the last crash, prior to it, all the sales reps drove crew cab 4wd diesels, usually with leveling kit, wheels and tires and exhaust.

that was also a pretty universal status symbol around here

afterwards, all the sales reps drove new half ton crew cabs, nice clean and new, but it was a distinct change

If you follow the "what tow rig to buy" threads, you'll hear a lot of guys bragging about how their 2008-2013 diesel truck held its value. Well, they couldn't sell them then, and they were 30-35k new, then the bankers printed a fuckton of money and handed out auto loans like candy and ran 2018 Fidel crew cabs up to 70k, so if your 2011 isn't hammered, it is still worth as many paper dollars as it was in 2011, just the paper dollars are worth half as much.

Also on collector cars, there's a trend that follows age, 80s cars are popular, before that it was 70s cars, before 60s, 50s, guys get middle age, get some money together and have the desire and means to relive their youth, or have the car they wanted,

so Action, what's your thoughts?

My first vehicle was a '72 Scout II that my father bought new for like $9k. I still have it but its been sitting for about 20 years. Totally restorable though. For shits and giggles I surfed e-bay motors. Holy fawk. Mint condition low mileage Scouts are fetching $30k and more which is twice what I was seeing the last time I checked a few years ago.

I had a ‘66 GTO that I sold a few years ago because I was getting into rock crawling. I was the second owner (documents to prove it too) the car was perfect except for some half-assed repairs done to the rear corners years before I bought it. Sometime last year I was bored and started poking around the internet and found my car for sale. It was listed for $30k more than what I sold it for, and it was in the same exact condition I sold it in

The market can do crazy things :homer:

Wife has a steel 32 coupe (was her dads) LS, ac, ifs, total driver/power tour car. About 8 years ago a guy offered her $50k and while it wasn't a lowball it was low.

Fast forward to now... its been for sale for a year low 30's and its still sitting.

My EB is appreciating about 1k a year just sitting under a tarp from what I see everytime I see them for sale.

Wife has a steel 32 coupe (was her dads) LS, ac, ifs, total driver/power tour car. About 8 years ago a guy offered her $50k and while it wasn't a lowball it was low.

Fast forward to now... its been for sale for a year low 30's and its still sitting.

Henry ford steel or like a brookeville or something? That seems way low

Eh just throw on some aftermarket efi

But ya that's a good point, all those 70s cars that weren't muscle cars will/are becoming more appealing

so Action, what's your thoughts?

I'll try to hit a few points. I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Looking at most of the classic car market, it looks overbought. The majority of the cars that people want are out of their budget. I do think that there will be people who try to fire sale their classic looking for cash. But I doubt it will be the massive sell off you're expecting. There just won't be enough buyers with the realestate to store and maintain the number of cars out there. At some point the market just freezes up.

I also think there's fewer and fewer people capable of doing restorations. Plus, the money needed to restore a car vs what it's worth after the restoration means that market is dead. The projects will go to waste. Sad but there's just no reason for people to go that route anymore. The ones too broke to buy a survivor probably won't ever finish their garage ornament.

A big trend growing is Americanism and the idea that we lost our way when we sold out our manufacturing industry to the emerging markets. I just see a new throw back to the old Detroit iron becoming popular in a way it hasn't been before. The old land yachts have a feel unlike anything the younger generations have ever felt.

These cars are selling for dirt cheap in many cases. People won't feel bad buying a 20k mile one owner car that was locked in grandpa's garage for $8k and racking up some miles with gas at $2 a gallon. Especially now that they don't commute. These old cars had power windows, AC, automatics, and amazing style. If the option when they default on the car payment is to buy a clapped out late model with an EFI system they can't figure out how to fix. I think there will be a class of people willing to take on something that is built well, easy to work on and that will stand up to time without depreciating and without looking like they're doing poorly in life.

While most of the market tanks, I think the $5k-$9k land yacht might be a good buy. Not the restored car that's perfect. Not the rare cars that are ultra iconic. Not the basket cases that are drivable projects. But the clean low mileage survivors that are in great shape but don't currently hit the spot for the collectors and don't have a market with average joe because he can get a 2% interest rate and a payment plan on something new.

Maybe not this car specifically, but you get the idea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_8442.jpg Views:	5 Size:	121.5 KB ID:	34388

Last edited:
Congrats on the sale.

Thanks, I've stayed out of it. I've never felt like it was mine, in spite of wife's efforts. I also wanted no input of the sale, and don't want to profit off of it in any way. Hard to explain.

One things for sure... the time to sell it was 8-10 years ago. Nobody wants old street rods anymore. Those guys are all dying off. The "new old guys" are building 70's-80's trucks.

I also think there's fewer and fewer people capable of doing restorations. Plus, the money needed to restore a car vs what it's worth after the restoration means that market is dead. The projects will go to waste. Sad but there's just no reason for people to go that route anymore. The ones too broke to buy a survivor probably won't ever finish their garage ornament.

Thank fucking god. The last thing the world needs is all the white collar assholes with money to be jacking up prices on 80s and 90s shitboxes just so they can pay their mechanic to fix them. I hope labor prices get even higher because it means more cool old shit at reasonable prices for everyone who can turn a wrench.

Being able to slap aftermarket EFI on them for a grand makes that mostly a non-issue.

Although I totally agree for guys like us. But guys like us don't seem to drive the marketplace. Have you seen the Mighty Car Mods where they put a Halltech ECU in the MR2? I just can't see very many people being willing to buy a car and embark on such a project. To pay someone to adapt a stand alone ECU and build a harness and tune the computer is hardly a $1k job.

Maybe I'm completely wrong about my projection. Maybe these cars will always bring bottom dollar. But I think there's something to their analog systems and the luxury factor, and family friendly size. Even if they lack safety standards. Even if by today's standards they're pretty no frill. Even if they get 8mpg.

Thanks, I've stayed out of it. I've never felt like it was mine, in spite of wife's efforts. I also wanted no input of the sale, and don't want to profit off of it in any way. Hard to explain.

One things for sure... the time to sell it was 8-10 years ago. Nobody wants old street rods anymore. Those guys are all dying off. The "new old guys" are building 70's-80's trucks.

The market on those is interesting here.

You can find a nice 70s F-150/250 for $2000, keep scrolling and see another in the same condition for $12,000.

Land Cruisers are even weirder.

My $0.02, pre-80's cars are going to continue to drop in value, aside from the usual suspects that will always hold value. Such as the 67-69 camaros, mopars of the same era, etc. The drop will not just be due to the economy, it's also because fewer people have true interest in these vehicles, especially enough interest to spend $30k+ on them.

80's cars will hold/go up in value because guys like me drove them in high school, and are now in our mid-upper 40's and want to "relive the past".

I'm seeing a lot of late 60's early 70's car "projects" for sale on facebook marketplace. Some of them are pretty cheap, cheap enough that it's tempting to pick one up.

What's really crazy is the station wagon market. Holy shit they are going for big bucks.

My 75 Monte Carlo w454 got 9 MPG at 90 MPH and double digit mileage (10 to 11) at 55 or so. And it ate Cadillacs and Chryslers for lunch. Never raced any Big Block Ford lead sleds but I'd bet it would lunch them too. I still have it, minus the motor which I still have in a truck.

I'll try to hit a few points. I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Looking at most of the classic car market, it looks overbought. The majority of the cars that people want are out of their budget. I do think that there will be people who try to fire sale their classic looking for cash. But I doubt it will be the massive sell off you're expecting. There just won't be enough buyers with the realestate to store and maintain the number of cars out there. At some point the market just freezes up.

A big trend growing is Americanism and the idea that we lost our way when we sold out our manufacturing industry to the emerging markets. I just see a new throw back to the old Detroit iron becoming popular in a way it hasn't been before. The old land yachts have a feel unlike anything the younger generations have ever felt.

These cars are selling for dirt cheap in many cases. People won't feel bad buying a 20k mile one owner car that was locked in grandpa's garage for $8k and racking up some miles with gas at $2 a gallon. Especially now that they don't commute. These old cars had power windows, AC, automatics, and amazing style. If the option when they default on the car payment is to buy a clapped out late model with an EFI system they can't figure out how to fix. I think there will be a class of people willing to take on something that is built well, easy to work on and that will stand up to time without depreciating and without looking like they're doing poorly in life.

While most of the market tanks, I think the $5k-$9k land yacht might be a good buy. Not the restored car that's perfect. Not the rare cars that are ultra iconic. Not the basket cases that are drivable projects. But the clean low mileage survivors that are in great shape but don't currently hit the spot for the collectors and don't have a market with average joe because he can get a 2% interest rate and a payment plan on something new.

Maybe not this car specifically, but you get the idea.

Interesting take

a buddy had a similar thought, he bought a few 60s 4 door cars, 61 Biscayne etc, shit with 1bbl carbs, powerglides and 3 speeds, he could buy that shit for 1500, "people will always need a car to drive"

it never turned into anything for him, but he was early, and they still needed to stamp out a million new kias and corollas

you could be into something

maybe it's already happened tho, just differently, Mexicans have always been fixing up old Chevys, great for people with all sorts of cash based incomes, a 75 c10 on paper can be 1500, but could be a fine customized status symbol on their side of town.

I mentioned the 80s rangers getting paint jobs, now the, imo hideous 80-91 F series trucks are making a comeback, i see drivers listed at 5-8k, I was crushing runners for $240 ton in 2011.

new cars and trucks doubling in price in 10 years may have done similar to your thoughts.

but, I think there will be so much oversupply in late model cars that it will be a hard sell. The problem is, late model cars have so many usable miles left in them, without working on them

a wildcard would be a "movement" if you see new bands or c list celebrities driving that stuff, you might be on it, but there's just going to be a wave of deflation first, too much to buy and store 20 land yachts for 5 years when you could do so much more with your cash

leverage would be to go to scrap yards or junk yards, or c list part out guys and buy a cars worth of trim for $50 and 60 min of your time. Tape it together, note the year and model, stuff it in the rafters

Top Back Refresh