What's new

Cigars

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
I've picked up a habit recently due to a cigar shop near my pad which vents its humidor pretty much into my window.

Smoking these Ashton Half Coronas, and 'factory mistakes' for $2.50 each. I imagine these 'mistakes' are just shit-quality cigars as they have a pretty lousy taste but still do the cigar thing.

Anyplace to buy online for cigars? It seems like a racket, many of the sites use the same exact ordering system just different colors.

so when I lived in Laredo (border town) I would go across the border and get cubans.. before it got to dangerous.. all the time.. nothing compares in my opinion..

so when I lived in Laredo (border town) I would go across the border and get cubans.. before it got to dangerous.. all the time.. nothing compares in my opinion..

I can get Cubans at my local liquor store, pretty good.. I buy them by the pack and I’m developing a bad habit of smoking 1 a night while I’m in the hot tub

I can get Cubans at my local liquor store, pretty good.. I buy them by the pack and I’m developing a bad habit of smoking 1 a night while I’m in the hot tub

those are not real Cubans.. cuz I'm pretty sure the embargo was not lifted

edit.. just looked it up.. the embargo was lifted, but there are all kinds of rules..

Last edited:
those are not real Cubans.. cuz I'm pretty sure the embargo was not lifted

edit.. just looked it up.. the embargo was lifted, but there are all kinds of rules..

You can bring them in personally but not sell them last I heard. $400 combined booze and cigars.

I use Famous Cigar out of Easton PA. They run great sales and specials. If you use the Honey extension on Google you will always get a discount.

I've picked up a habit recently due to a cigar shop near my pad which vents its humidor pretty much into my window.

Smoking these Ashton Half Coronas, and 'factory mistakes' for $2.50 each. I imagine these 'mistakes' are just shit-quality cigars as they have a pretty lousy taste but still do the cigar thing.

Anyplace to buy online for cigars? It seems like a racket, many of the sites use the same exact ordering system just different colors.

If your “mistakes” ‘taste lousy” they are shitty cigars to begin with. Mistakes are a wrapping process, not a tobacco quality issue

my oldest daughter was named after a cigar brand

“Cubans” have never been a thing. It’s only because they were banned.

Cigarbid.com
Mikescigars.com
Altlanticcigar.com

Life is too short to smoke shitty cigars. Also, not a fan of Thompson or cigars international. I've had bad experiences. Just my 2 cents.

I do have a bit of a purchasing problem though. Not the biggest humidor but keeps me with a decent variety and quantity.

20200607_123522.jpg

Last edited:
Swisher Sweet is kind of an odd name for a kid. :flipoff2:

Slanderous.

Cigarbid.com
Mikescigars.com
Altlanticcigar.com

Life is too short to smoke shitty cigars. Also, not a fan of Thompson or cigars international. I've had bad experiences. Just my 2 cents.

I do have a bit of a purchasing problem though. Not the biggest humidor but keeps me with a decent variety and quantity.

Damn that's impressive. Yeah my humidor is the zip-lock bag the retailer game me with a damp paper towel in it.

CI is what I'm talking about. They are dodgy. There seem to be a lot of clone sites out there. I'll check those out thanks :smokin:

“Cubans” have never been a thing. It’s only because they were banned.

Hmmmm I hear and read otherwise. There's extra cachet no doubt. And there are certain cigars from other regions which are better than your avg Cuban. But the best cigars are Cuban.

I've had several genuine Cubans and haven't been impressed. They do have their own flavor profile but there's much better cigars out there in my opinion. They've used their soil up and they don't have the infrastructure to really age their leaves so they end up just being mediocre to me.

It's all taste anyway. My favorite might be garbage to someone else.

Cigarbid.com
Mikescigars.com
Altlanticcigar.com

I have 3 desk top humidors not one of them will stay steady even the big one with the powered humidifierI have been reduced to keeping them in gallon zip bags with humidity packs in them.
Your setup makes me feel so...
I agree I used to smoke the cheaper I did find that if you could humidor them for a month a lot of the cheaper ones turned out to be pretty good, I am slowy turning back to smoking a pipe.

If your “mistakes” ‘taste lousy” they are shitty cigars to begin with. Mistakes are a wrapping process, not a tobacco quality issue

my oldest daughter was named after a cigar brand

You named your daughter "Cohiba" :flipoff2::flipoff2:. Let me guess... Ashton? I used to do cigars quite a bit, had friends that owned the local cigar lounge. I havent smoked much since I had my first kid, but I think about grabbing a couple smokes every now and then.

I did find that if you could humidor them for a month a lot of the cheaper ones turned out to be pretty good,

That makes perfect sense. That's just more time for curing and bacterial action, literally the same thing as dry-aging beef or cheese. Or weed.

There's no objective reason why Connecticut or Virginia can't make the best cigars in the world. California beat France in wines decades ago.

Tobacco will come back later in life and kill you.....

Supposedly Cubans should be aged a year before you partake. I'm not that patient though so that could be why I haven't been big on them.

FDA's own study says 2 or less cigars per day has no appreciable risk to your health. It's not like dipping, vaping or cigarettes that have a ton of chemicals added.

​​

I have 3 desk top humidors not one of them will stay steady even the big one with the powered humidifierI have been reduced to keeping them in gallon zip bags with humidity packs in them.
Your setup makes me feel so...
I agree I used to smoke the cheaper I did find that if you could humidor them for a month a lot of the cheaper ones turned out to be pretty good, I am slowy turning back to smoking a pipe.

Be sure they seal really well and that they get prepped right. Can't just buy one and out it into service. My desktop took some finagling to get to hold steady. Boveda packs are super easy and effective and they can be recharged.

Pipes have intrigued me but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Hmmmm I hear and read otherwise. There's extra cachet no doubt. And there are certain cigars from other regions which are better than your avg Cuban. But the best cigars are Cuban.

Obviously you’ve heard otherwise, hence the purpose of my comment

You named your daughter "Cohiba" :flipoff2::flipoff2:. Let me guess... Ashton? I used to do cigars quite a bit, had friends that owned the local cigar lounge. I havent smoked much since I had my first kid, but I think about grabbing a couple smokes every now and then.
Yep and same. Even sold my half custom half me built humidor

When my wife wants something, she runs by and buys me some $25 sticks. I still have 3 box humidors, travel humidors and a 4 stick armored humidor that’s packed away somewhere

Be sure they seal really well and that they get prepped right. Can't just buy one and out it into service. My desktop took some finagling to get to hold steady. Boveda packs are super easy and effective and they can be recharged.

Pipes have intrigued me but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Man I have followed every guide line for new cigar humidors I even took one to a cigar store when I was living in Denver to see if they could get it to seal and they couldn't. Boveda says they can't be recharged.
With pipes I began with a Medico filter pipe and Borkum Riff tobaco, the ritual of packing and lighting then repacking and lighting gets to some people, like cigars you don't inhale.

That's absolutely true, same thing with the sun and melanoma. The genetic damage which leads to cancer has an effect when you're young and have tens of thousands of cellular divisions to present itself.

Thing is, I grew up when people smoked in grocery stores and hospitals, and parents had no problem with 4 people smoking at the breakfast table in a tiny camper with the kids up on the bunk. So the damage is already done.

Same thing with all those sunburns I got as a kid. Every summer it was expected you'd blister and peel then get your 'base tan' down, we never wore sunscreen. That's the damage that will cause my melanoma if I get it.

Smoking now with less than 10% of my cellular divisions left, because mitosis slows down as cells become senescent, is literally nothing.

The only damage I can do now is COPD, but I don't smoke heavily so....

Top Back Refresh