What's new

Cigars

Man I have followed every guide line for new cigar humidors I even took one to a cigar store when I was living in Denver to see if they could get it to seal and they couldn't. Boveda says they can't be recharged.
With pipes I began with a Medico filter pipe and Borkum Riff tobaco, the ritual of packing and lighting then repacking and lighting gets to some people, like cigars you don't inhale.

Boveda will tell you that but they can be. I've been doing it for over a year now.

kinda reminds me of that Will Smith song, when he says he never lights them..

I remember when I was young, and inhaled on a Cuban.. talk about hurtin your lungs.. lol

it has been at least 10-12 years since I smoked a cigar..

oh and it's kinda hard to tell which cigars are more popular than others, cuz many people buy certain cigars to take out the filling and roll a fattie.. :)

This!!!
but I don’t smoke em.... just chew on em, never light em!!!
The stouts are great with coffee!!!

Dad smoked Dutch Masters Presidents we could tell how hard the job he was working on around the house by how far he had chewed up the butt.
I had a boss who unwrapped a fresh cigar every morning never smoked it just chewed on it all day.
All I can say is try several till you find one you like Brick House Fumas is one I like, when I first started I smoked Rum Runners, Pirates, any of the big names like Rocky Patel will have good ones. I don't know if he is still on but Cigar Dave used to have a saturday show where he talked about various cigars and there is also several youtube channels.

I remember when I was young, and inhaled on a Cuban..
Not sure how to parse this statment
oh and it's kinda hard to tell which cigars are more popular than others, cuz many people buy certain cigars to take out the filling and roll a fattie.. :)

They like the cheap ones unlike the feds would have you belive they ain't going to spend $10 or 15 dollars on a ciger

Last edited:
kinda reminds me of that Will Smith song, when he says he never lights them..

I remember when I was young, and inhaled on a Cuban.. talk about hurtin your lungs.. lol

it has been at least 10-12 years since I smoked a cigar..

No one buys a cigar to remove the filling. They buy swishers, which aren't cigars. The outer wrapper is not a tobacco leaf it's a paper product and it's filler is ground up leaf bits with chemicals added so it's a cigarette, same for backwoods (AFAIK). If you pay attention to that crowd for your cigar references then you have no idea what a good or even decent cigar is.

You don't inhale cigars.

Dad smoked Dutch Masters Presidents we could tell how hard the job he was working on around the house by how far he had chewed up the butt.
I had a boss who unwrapped a fresh cigar every morning never smoked it just chewed on it all day.
All I can say is try several till you find one you like Brick House Fumas is one I like, when I first started I smoked Rum Runners, Pirates, any of the big names like Rocky Patel will have good ones. I don't know if he is still on but Cigar Dave used to have a saturday show where he talked about various cigars and there is also several youtube channels.

I like cigar obsession. He never discusses specific pricing and he never ranks them. He just discusses the burn characteristics and the flavors.

I like cigar obsession. He never discusses specific pricing and he never ranks them. He just discusses the burn characteristics and the flavors.

Used to be a black chick who was interesting to watch, not sure what happened to her she just quit posting.
Persoanlly I have never tasted any of the flovors they claim they can

No one buys a cigar to remove the filling. They buy swishers, which aren't cigars. The outer wrapper is not a tobacco leaf it's a paper product and it's filler is ground up leaf bits with chemicals added so it's a cigarette, same for backwoods (AFAIK). If you pay attention to that crowd for your cigar references then you have no idea what a good or even decent cigar is.

You don't inhale cigars.

Like I said dad used to smoke Dutch Masters so I went and looked I don't know how they were made when he was smoking them but now they are manmade wrapper and chopped fillers. Same with almost all the old cigars. There to be a late night truckers road show sponsered by White Owl cigars. I can remember hearing the sound of the lighter and the DJ saying It's White Owl Cigar time! Damn I am getting old now days it is probably tuttifrutti coffee time :rolleyes:

Cigarbid.com
Mikescigars.com
Altlanticcigar.com

Life is too short to smoke shitty cigars. Also, not a fan of Thompson or cigars international. I've had bad experiences. Just my 2 cents.

I do have a bit of a purchasing problem though. Not the biggest humidor but keeps me with a decent variety and quantity.

I have 3 desk top humidors not one of them will stay steady even the big one with the powered humidifierI have been reduced to keeping them in gallon zip bags with humidity packs in them.
Your setup makes me feel so...
I agree I used to smoke the cheaper I did find that if you could humidor them for a month a lot of the cheaper ones turned out to be pretty good, I am slowy turning back to smoking a pipe.

Man I have followed every guide line for new cigar humidors I even took one to a cigar store when I was living in Denver to see if they could get it to seal and they couldn't. Boveda says they can't be recharged.
With pipes I began with a Medico filter pipe and Borkum Riff tobaco, the ritual of packing and lighting then repacking and lighting gets to some people, like cigars you don't inhale.

There's no way that a Humidor market of small devices is valid. And there's no way that a precise range of temps and humidity can count. It's all bogus. Cigars are a humid thing, they were grown, cured, and rolled where it's wet. That was the original humidor.

That morphed into large humidors for dry and cold climates. The volume of air and mass of water in those humidors is the key to their functioning. To get the same effect in a small volume is folly overall, but it could be brute-forced.

However, it's pointless. A small cooler filled with a water cup or poly fiber sitting in distilled water has to be perfect. And any tight control of humidity has to be folly. Cuba has many different climates on the island, so there is no way that a single range can be 'perfect' for all cigars. Same things holds true for Honduras or Guatemala.

Now a big humidor like Rooney has is probably the smallest that can reliably keep an environment. Same holds true for:
  • weed
  • tropical fish fresh or salt
  • wine
  • cheese
  • dry aging meats
  • whiskey/spirits
  • sourdough bread
  • gardens
  • etc
So there are two problems:
  1. The idea that a certain range is appropriate for all cigars
  2. The idea that technology can solve a small-volume problem better than IBB common-sense could
Volume helps enormously and not just with consistency. The volume/environment relationship is not linear. That is, it is impossible to replicate a 10 gal tank for a sensitive tropical fish that won't require 2 rooms full of equipment. You're better off having a 250+ gal tank and let the critters you cultivate in there do the work for you.

If you try to 'brute force' the environment on a small scale, then you are stuck constantly falling outside the parameters which requires more and more engineering solutions to solve.

I submit that an old chest freezer lined with appropriate materials will out-do any retail humidor smaller than custom installation range, although Rooney77 has probably gone over the point where it's possible.

Just musing here....

The cigars themselves contain a certain mix of chemicals, bacteria, and fugus (microherd) that do their work for them. Futhermore, they contain humidity, and so create their own environment. So it has to be impossible to store very different cigars in the same small humidor and have them be 'perfect'. It simply can't happen. You'd have to have a room humidor to provide both the consistent environment while still maintaining enough 'fresh' humidor for each box of cigars to keep their own environment and taste....

Smaller than a room, you have to be better off with smaller, simpler humidors which don't rely on technology. So individual lunch coolers with a plank of wood on the bottom which is soaked in a certain water solution of proper salts....

After a lifetime of such hobbies and interests, I have to be correct. In terms of trucks, think of it like this: You can either buy the 'brute forced' turn-key rock bouncer, or you can solve the problems yourself by recognizing what they are. In the end, you won't have a $100,000 rig, but with $20,000 you can be 97% of the way there. Better yet, you have surpassed the $40,000 turn-key rig mark in capability, by far.

Last edited:
well I just researched about it and other stuff.. to make sure I was right

when I said people use cigars for making big fat blunts.. I was referring to personal experiences from the 90s.. back then Rap music made Optimos real popular..

Optimos are Cigars..

I don't know if people still use them for rolling fatties

people also used to roll "Philly Blunt"s per rap videos.. I didn't really have a preference between the two..
\
Philly Blunts are Cigars

when I said people use cigars for making big fat blunts.. I was referring to personal experiences from the 90s.. back then Rap music made Optimos real popular..

Optimos are Cigars..

people also used to roll "Philly Blunt"s per rap videos.. I didn't really have a preference between the two..
\
Philly Blunts are Cigars

Philly Blunts morphed into flavored Swishers about 20 years ago 🤣

You're right though, that's how it started. And Blunts are like many other products: they were specialized and quite good until the mass market demanded more. Now you can't make the same product on a huge scale for the same price, so Swishers and their artificial shit step in. Same thing with Tobasco opening more fermenting shops in Louisiana then Mexico, but the hot sauce market getting taken over by awful sriracha.

There's no way that a Humidor market of small devices is valid. And there's no way that a precise range of temps and humidity can count. It's all bogus. Cigars are a humid thing, they were grown, cured, and rolled where it's wet. That was the original humidor.

That morphed into large humidors for dry and cold climates. The volume of air and mass of water in those humidors is the key to their functioning. To get the same effect in a small volume is folly overall, but it could be brute-forced.

However, it's pointless. A small cooler filled with a water cup or poly fiber sitting in distilled water has to be perfect. And any tight control of humidity has to be folly. Cuba has many different climates on the island, so there is no way that a single range can be 'perfect' for all cigars. Same things holds true for Honduras or Guatemala.

Now a big humidor like Rooney has is probably the smallest that can reliably keep an environment. Same holds true for:
  • weed
  • tropical fish fresh or salt
  • wine
  • cheese
  • dry aging meats
  • whiskey/spirits
  • sourdough bread
  • gardens
  • etc
So there are two problems:
  1. The idea that a certain range is appropriate for all cigars
  2. The idea that technology can solve a small-volume problem better than IBB common-sense could
Volume helps enormously and not just with consistency. The volume/environment relationship is not linear. That is, it is impossible to replicate a 10 gal tank for a sensitive tropical fish that won't require 2 rooms full of equipment. You're better off having a 250+ gal tank and let the critters you cultivate in there do the work for you.

If you try to 'brute force' the environment on a small scale, then you are stuck constantly falling outside the parameters which requires more and more engineering solutions to solve.

I submit that an old chest freezer lined with appropriate materials will out-do any retail humidor smaller than custom installation range, although Rooney77 has probably gone over the point where it's possible.

Just musing here....

The cigars themselves contain a certain mix of chemicals, bacteria, and fugus (microherd) that do their work for them. Futhermore, they contain humidity, and so create their own environment. So it has to be impossible to store very different cigars in the same small humidor and have them be 'perfect'. It simply can't happen. You'd have to have a room humidor to provide both the consistent environment while still maintaining enough 'fresh' humidor for each box of cigars to keep their own environment and taste....

Smaller than a room, you have to be better off with smaller, simpler humidors which don't rely on technology. So individual lunch coolers with a plank of wood on the bottom which is soaked in a certain water solution of proper salts....

After a lifetime of such hobbies and interests, I have to be correct. In terms of trucks, think of it like this: You can either buy the 'brute forced' turn-key rock bouncer, or you can solve the problems yourself by recognizing what they are. In the end, you won't have a $100,000 rig, but with $20,000 you can be 97% of the way there. Better yet, you have surpassed the $40,000 turn-key rig mark in capability, by far.

This is you going dumbass. Cigars are generally kept at 70% humidity and 70 degree temps. That's the rule of thumb.

That's relative humidity. I bought the cheapest humidor I could in the size I wanted and I made it work great. Keeps. My cigars between 65 and 68% humidity and I keep the room at 68 degrees.

Same holds true for my desktop humidor on top of the larger humidor. It's very easy to get a perfectly functioning humidor, even small ones, that'll keep a steady rh level.

Boveda packs are awesome because they are active humidity control. Developed for the art world. Pick the rh you wanna keep, order the packs and toss em in and forget about it. Just be sure to rotate em before they dry out and either buy more or recharge em.

And to cure your ignorance, a humidor's purpose is to maintain a certain relative humidity level. It's not a dehumidifier. It's meant to keep a roughly 70% rh humidity level, mimicking the regions the tobacco is grown. There's a very specific wood used because of this...spanish cedar. It's moisture retaining and releasing properties are why it's used almost 100% across all humidor manufacturers.

If you can't make a small humidor work you shouldn't try to maintain a large one. It gets harder as they increase in size. Believe it or not, even in my small humidor, the levels vary based on height. Hence the need for fans to blow the moisturized air around and keep things even. A small shoe box would be very simple in comparison. My desktop humidor is where I put my expensive special occasion singles because it's so much easier to maintain and keep constant.

Easiest and best humidor is a good sealed jar and a single boveda pack. It'll only get harder and more complicated from there.

Evernoob knows not of what he speaks.

FYI all cigars were aged, rolled and meant for a 70/70 environment. Or there abouts. Higher than 70% rh it's soggy and burns like shit. Higher than 70 degrees and cigar beetles can hatch and ruin your stash.

Last edited:
This is you going dumbass. Cigars are generally kept at 70% humidity and 70 degree temps. That's the rule of thumb.

That's relative humidity. I bought the cheapest humidor I could in the size I wanted and I made it work great. Keeps. My cigars between 65 and 68% humidity and I keep the room at 68 degrees.

Same holds true for my desktop humidor on top of the larger humidor. It's very easy to get a perfectly functioning humidor, even small ones, that'll keep a steady rh level.

Boveda packs are awesome because they are active humidity control. Developed for the art world. Pick the rh you wanna keep, order the packs and toss em in and forget about it. Just be sure to rotate em before they dry out and either buy more or recharge em.

And to cure your ignorance, a humidor's purpose is to maintain a certain relative humidity level. It's not a dehumidifier. It's meant to keep a roughly 70% rh humidity level, mimicking the regions the tobacco is grown.

If you can't make a small humidor work you shouldn't try to maintain a large one. It gets harder as they increase in size.

Easiest and best humidor is a good sealed jar and a single boveda pack. It'll onky get harder and more complicated from there.

Evernoob knows not of what he speaks.

I can’t believe you wasted your time

Optimos are Cigars..

\
Philly Blunts are Cigars

Optimos are the same as swishers. Not real cigars. Try again
​.

T
If you can't make a small humidor work you shouldn't try to maintain a large one. It gets harder as they increase in size. Believe it or not, even in my small humidor, the levels vary based on height. Hence the need for fans to blow the moisturized air around and keep things even. A small shoe box would be very simple in comparison. My desktop humidor is where I put my expensive special occasion singles because it's so much easier to maintain and keep constant.

What brand is the large humidor, I have been thiking about one of those made from a thermo refrigerator

What would be a good milf cigar to step up to? I smoke backwoods on occasion or will buy something from the local places but they always sell me something too harsh.

FYI all cigars were aged, rolled and meant for a 70/70 environment. Or there abouts. Higher than 70% rh it's soggy and burns like shit. Higher than 70 degrees and cigar beetles can hatch and ruin your stash.

That's pure marketing bullshit, end of story. Don't need to know anything about cigars to know that's wrong.

It would require a total absence of life in Cigar-making regions to think that's true. One weekend in Honduras or Cuba will tell you that's wrong.

70/70 is pure retail horseshit. That's consumer delivery science, I always want to be more than that, as taught to me by Irates.

That's pure marketing bullshit, end of story. Don't need to know anything about cigars to know that's wrong.

It would require a total absence of life in Cigar-making regions to think that's true. One weekend in Honduras or Cuba will tell you that's wrong.

70/70 is pure retail horseshit. That's consumer delivery science, I always want to be more than that, as taught to me by Irates.

Wronger more

What would be a good milf cigar to step up to? I smoke backwoods on occasion or will buy something from the local places but they always sell me something too harsh.

I like the Drew estate Javas as a step up from the flavored backwoods if that's what you're into. They're infused with a coffee/chocolate flavor but it's way more subtle than the gas station sticks and once the flavor wears off theyre always a really good and mellow smoke

I order from cigarpage.com
I try to patronize my local shop, but there selection is shit lately.

For a mild middle of the road I would look at some Monte cristos, or Fuente Hemingway.

Personally my favorite cigar lately has been the A Flores Capa Habano box pressed. They are a little spicier than mild.

Evernoob WTH, Listen to Paragon and get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Acry...x=cigar+jar,aps,229&sr=8-5&tag=91812054244-20

I order from cigarpage.com
I try to patronize my local shop, but there selection is shit lately.

For a mild middle of the road I would look at some Monte cristos, or Fuente Hemingway.

Personally my favorite cigar lately has been the A Flores Capa Habano box pressed. They are a little spicier than mild.

Evernoob WTH, Listen to Paragon and get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Acry...x=cigar+jar,aps,229&sr=8-5&tag=91812054244-20

I like Monte Cristos too, that's my first 'premium' cigar years ago.

Expensive Thing

How is that functionally any different than this?

LP094zc.jpg

Utw4p6m.jpg

Mine cost $4 and works great. Requires once every 3 day attention with a damp paper towel.

Source: Invented it in 30 seconds including punching holes in the cottage cheese lid.

Cigar beatle eggs are laid on the leaf and are microscopic if the tempeture in your humidor goes above 70 degrees they hatch and destroy the cigar. I know it is true because I have had it happen to me you Arrogant Know Nothing Motor Mouth . A cigar below about 65 burns hot and tastes bad once agin I know from personally experience

Cigar beatle eggs are laid on the leaf and are microscopic if the tempeture in your humidor goes above 70 degrees they hatch and destroy the cigar. I know it is true because I have had it happen to me you Arrogant Know Nothing Motor Mouth . A cigar below about 65 burns hot and tastes bad once agin I know from personally experience
And Humidity above 70 the higher likelihood of mold

I liked my cigars covered in plume

That's purely a supply-side thing. I guarantee that the temp can be raised enough to kill those beetles without changing the nature of the cigar.

You are an amateur, pure and simple.

There's no way the Cigar industry grew up in 65-70 degree temperatures 🤣

You didn't even think this through.

4xmOcTs.jpg

Top Back Refresh