What's new

Christopher Columbus: good or bad?

4x4orbust

Member Number
My wife and I got into it a little this morning. Started with a news clip of a destroyed Christopher Columbus statue. When I was in school, we were never taught about the raping and murder that he committed, or that he was a symbol of racism. I knew that the ships that landed were filled with plagues and sicknesses that the natives had never been exposed to and that caused some issues.

My wife (11 years younger than me) was taught that he was a horrible person, as well as his crews, and does not deserve to be looked at as a positive symbol of anything. In fact, he was a demon and should be treated as such.

Am I really that out of touch with history? Or has history been changed to reflect new(ish) findings?

The dude wasn't anything special for the time in which he lived. He wasn't particularly "woke" nor was he particularly brutal. All the shit he gets in modern blue state history textbooks is revisionist history crap.

My wife and I got into it a little this morning. Started with a news clip of a destroyed Christopher Columbus statue. When I was in school, we were never taught about the raping and murder that he committed, or that he was a symbol of racism. I knew that the ships that landed were filled with plagues and sicknesses that the natives had never been exposed to and that caused some issues.

My wife (11 years younger than me) was taught that he was a horrible person, as well as his crews, and does not deserve to be looked at as a positive symbol of anything. In fact, he was a demon and should be treated as such.

Am I really that out of touch with history? Or has history been changed to reflect new(ish) findings?

Orwell was a prophet, and Winston Smith (or at least his job) is real.
So
Read 1984.

Last edited:
Columbus was a fraud, though few (including him) knew it at the time. Now we know who really discovered the "New World".

Columbus was a fraud, though few (including him) knew it at the time. Now we know who really discovered the "New World".

Meh, he wasn't looking for the new world. He was looking for silver.

It is revisionist history. He was looking for an alternative route to India for trading. CAPITALISM!

People had no concept of germs and immunity back then. He did not intentionally set out to burn down the new world and kill its people. Different times, different actions, different morals.

At this point, what difference does it make? It's in the past. Look at the writers of the 'news' today. You realize that these lies are what will be read by future generations as history, right? It's likely that everyone alive today was 'taught' lies and propaganda in school. For me, global cooling and the "coming ice age" come to mind. Everything you ever learned was a lie and you just need to let it go, do your best, and die with dignity. FTW. If you could teach your kids some critical thinking skills before you go, that would be nice, too. Unless you want them to be happy. If you want them to be happy, they might not want to realize what is going on. Ignorance is bliss. I don't fucking know. Where's my coffee? Fuck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5K9sWNs.png Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	34588

Hey asshole, why don't you learn how to post more than one pic at a time or just post a fucking link rather than shitting up the thread with twenty posts.

You can't judge the 15-16 th century mind from a current point of view...Europeans of that era felt they had a god given right to exploit native people and the land they discovered...Hmm.still sounds a bit familiar, LOL

Sounds like perseverance success to me. :flipoff2:

Jamestown was also founded in search of gold. Purely a capitalistic endeavor. Nathaniel Bacon went on the warpath against the natives in America's first rebellion. It happens. People and cultures clash.

You can't judge a person from the late 1400's by the ethics of today's world. That'd be like expecting someone toady to act like someone would in the year 2500. Impossible task.

The "people thought the earth was flat before Columbus" has always bothered me. By 1492 the Portuguese had sailed all the way to India and had settlements all over the African coast. People had known for many centuries that the earth was round.

The resistance Columbus experienced in Spain was that he wanted to sail West and reach Japan. He was told that the earth was too large and he would starve in the middle of the ocean. Had he not stumbled into this new continent 1/3 of the way there, that's exactly what would have happened and no one today would have heard his name.

Last edited:
meh.
I don't care.
do I think he should have statues and federal holidays? not really, but I think we could get rid of all the silly holidays and months. none of that shit matters.

Hey asshole, why don't you learn how to post more than one pic at a time or just post a fucking link rather than shitting up the thread with twenty posts.

This new format was mixing up the order, so it’s one picture at a time. Just like this:

fjWRgPr.jpg

Didn't...man I'm going to butcher this name, Americo Vipucci play a role too?

I was under the impression Leif Erikson was the first to discover?

Just the tip of the iceberg. Within the next 20 years America's history will be completely rewritten by the enlightened ones.

Top Back Refresh