What's new

China developing high-speed submarines propelled by lasers

Under water missles (supersonic torpedos) would be a game changer. Or under water javlin's that dive down the come up vertical under a ships hull exploding the keel.
I believe that mark 48's will already do that against surface ships.

and we're working on super cavitation torpedos that create a "bow wave" bubble of air, but that shit's hard.

Yeah but you could laser beam cavitate infront of the sub and then the sub bow only has to break thru air thrusting forward, and you put that on repeat and keep grabbin' gears and we'll probably win this sub war.
Someone else has read "Through the looking glass"

Under water missles (supersonic torpedos) would be a game changer. Or under water javlin's that dive down the come up vertical under a ships hull exploding the keel.
SUBROC was the tool for this and other uses a while ago.
IMG_4362.jpeg

Well, this is a funny coincidence. Last week I started listening to a fairly bad sci-fi audiodrama podcast from 2008. It prominently features a super-fast secret Chinese sub.

A highly advanced Chinese submarine, the Hei Ten Shi, is on a mysterious mission to deliver an otherworldly cargo to the Marianas Trench, the deepest part of the Earth’s ocean. The Chinese vessel suffers damage while maneuvering through the tight oceanic canyons. Because the vessel is now sinking rapidly, it enters a race against time to reach its destination, deliver its cargo and rise to the surface. But before it can release the cargo that is weighing it down, the Chinese vessel is intercepted by an American submarine, the USS Dakota, on a routine patrol mission back to Pearl Harbor. The Chinese submarine dives to over 21,000 feet to avoid engagement. But before the Chinese can escape, the cargo “activates” sending out strange pulses of radiation that cause both the American and Chinese submarines to have massive system failures. As the Hei Ten Shi separates the main components of its ship, the Dakota fears an attack and launches its torpedoes destroying a large part of the Hei Ten Shi.

I will say that the Wuhan-Whooping cough is, by far, the longest lasting thing to ever come out of china that I've had. :laughing:

If their military could make weapons THAT well, I'd be investing in some defense stock instead of ordering parts right now.
You say that as though it wasn't a weapon.

not sure how a laser can generate any propulsion.

Lasers generate plasma underwater, which then creates a ‘detonation wave’ to propel the submarine.

image-5.png

The innovation lies in harnessing this detonation wave, which expands in all directions and is extremely challenging to control to provide a driving force in a particular direction. The solution involves expelling tiny spherical metal particles upon which the detonation force is applied. When the metal particles leave one end of the submarine, in conjunction with the laser pulses, the underwater vehicle is propelled in the opposite direction.

The old "throwing anvils out the back" propulsion.

When they can keep their one aircraft carrier fire-free for 12 months I will start to worry about their 1960's navy.
Add to that the majority of their Navy has an operational range of 1K miles at cruising speed.
If they're in combat going max speed and maneuvering it's significantly shorter.

Top Back Refresh