What's new

Chevy 5.3

cagcig

Member Number
Loc
Brentwood CA
Looking at new Chevy 1500’s and 99 percent of them have the 5.3. Have been looking for a 6.2 but they are a unicorn. Anyway how does a 5.3 handle around 8k lbs? I don’t really want to order it.

They are ok power wise. But I had an 18 6.2 that thing was a beast.

503D48F3-790C-4E4F-BBF7-AD313B0B51B3.jpeg

I have a 2015 with the 5.3, and its a dog towing my camper (7700lbs). My next one will be the 6.2, even if I have to order it and wait. Its a fine motor when the truck is empty, but it is not good at all towing.

I have a 2015 with the 5.3, and its a dog towing my camper (7700lbs). My next one will be the 6.2, even if I have to order it and wait. Its a fine motor when the truck is empty, but it is not good at all towing.

Don’t most of these new Chevys come with stupidly high gears? Like 2.92 or something?

I really like the 6.2 but finding one and with 6’ bed, and the lower gear ratio is impossible. I would have to order it and wait probably six months. I HATE driving our old Ford 6.0. Every time I drive it I expect to call for a tow.

Just what I was looking for

The newer 5.3s feel a lot stouter than the older ones. I don't know if they're hotter motors or if it's the 8 or 10 or however many speed gearbox they're using now or a combo of the two.

With that said, the 6.2 is still a BIG difference. The 5.3 is a damn good engine. The 6.2 is a beast though.

GM loves to force you into a luxury package to get the 6.2 though. To their credit they got me. That's the only reason I bought a Yukon Denali. If I could've gotten the 6.2 in a more modestly outfitted Tahoe I would have.

You can get 3.42 with the 10 speed transmission

I think if I were to buy a new truck it’d be a Tundra. They put 4.30 gears or something close to it in some of their trucks. Probably pretty decent set up for towing, but I’m not sure how well a Tundra hauls.

No desire to buy any new truck, but GM hasn’t really wowed me with their crappy DOD-AFM system that’s hit or miss in when it might cause serious issues.

Any 5.3 will intermittently tow 8000 lbs just fine, it just has to spin faster than it does empty. I've pulled an equipment trailer at 11k gtw with my '12 5.3 3.43 and it was fine, I just manually selected 4th as the max highway gear and the let motor spin. I'm sure the even newer 5.3's with more power and speeds would be even better. I would hate to pay the 6.2 fuel penalty all the time I drive just so I can accelerate a little faster towing. If I was towing half the time maybe it would be different but at that point why discuss a half ton.

O wait, I'm sorry, you have to have a class 8 freightliner with a tri axle deckover to safely haul 8000 lbs.

I would hate to pay the 6.2 fuel penalty all the time I drive

My 6.2 powered Denali actually got 2mpg better mileage than the 5.3 Tahoe it replaced. Granted, this was in the mountains of CO so I'm not sure that would translate everywhere but the 6.2 just didn't have to work nearly as hard as the 5.3 going up grades while sucking wind at elevation.

Have a 2019 with the 5.3 and 8 spd. Tows a car hauler with a tractor on it fine. I didn’t want to step up to a premium package to get the 6.2, but it think you can get that in lower trims now.

My 6.2 powered Denali actually got 2mpg better mileage than the 5.3 Tahoe it replaced. Granted, this was in the mountains of CO so I'm not sure that would translate everywhere but the 6.2 just didn't have to work nearly as hard as the 5.3 going up grades while sucking wind at elevation.

5.3 with the 4 speed vs 6.2 with 6 or 8 speed?

5.3 with the 4 speed vs 6.2 with 6 or 8 speed?

5.3 had a 4 speed and the 6.2 had a 6. Driving my parents' 5.3 with either an 8 or a 10, it's a big upgrade from the old 4 but it's still a far cry from a 6.2.

Reactions: IGT
The newer 5.3s feel a lot stouter than the older ones. I don't know if they're hotter motors or if it's the 8 or 10 or however many speed gearbox they're using now or a combo of the two.

With that said, the 6.2 is still a BIG difference. The 5.3 is a damn good engine. The 6.2 is a beast though.

GM loves to force you into a luxury package to get the 6.2 though. To their credit they got me. That's the only reason I bought a Yukon Denali. If I could've gotten the 6.2 in a more modestly outfitted Tahoe I would have.

it's absolutely the transmission making up that difference with superior gearing.

5.3 had a 4 speed and the 6.2 had a 6. Driving my parents' 5.3 with either an 8 or a 10, it's a big upgrade from the old 4 but it's still a far cry from a 6.2.

well in any event the trans is the source of your fuel mileage variance, not the motor.

Last edited:
The current 6.2s have issues with valve springs breaking. At least the 2020 and 2021 models have. Just something to be aware of.

Axle gearing is going to be important if you plan to haul with it (esp if you are thinking of larger tires).

axle gearing doesn't mean shit when you have a 8 or 10 speed trans, drop it down and let it spin. and my 6.2 DI was a fluke, it got 20 plus mpg all the time. my 5.3 DI motor would not do that in a lighter truck.

6.2’s aren’t too hard to find around here. I’d be patient and keep looking for one. And find one with the deepest gears possible. I’ve got a vortec max with 4.10’s and it moved pretty good till I put bigger tires on it.

axle gearing doesn't mean shit when you have a 8 or 10 speed trans, drop it down and let it spin. and my 6.2 DI was a fluke, it got 20 plus mpg all the time. my 5.3 DI motor would not do that in a lighter truck.

Possibly with the news 8/10 speed trans. My FIL has an 09 1/2 ton with the 6.0 VortecMax and 6 speed auto. It has the tow package with lower gears ( can't remember exactly what they are) and we talked to a guy up neat the family farm in West texas with a VorecMax but not the lower gears. Both have oversized tires. He said his doesn't tow very well for what it is, but my FIL's does great with a load behind it.

A friend of mine is the shop foreman at 4Wheel Parts. He said when they do lifts and bigger tires on 5.3 trucks they are dogs compared to stock and that's unloaded. I would imagine that towing or hauling would be similar. These are mostly dealer trucks with the standard highway gearing.

Personally, I'm a fan of waiting for what I want (esp with what trucks cost now)

well in any event the trans is the source of your mileage variance, not the motor.

Agreed. Additional gearing from the 6l vs a 4l is night and day. Having the TCC being able to lock in gears other than the top gear also helps. I'm sure 10-speeds are even better, but I've never driven one. Also the gmt900 era 5.3 with VVT has a wider torque curve and makes 10-30hp more than a gmt800 5.3.
Seat of the pants towing meter can't tell a difference between my '01 6.0L 2500 vs my '12 5.3 1500 in terms of tow power.

Well I guess I will just wait until the F250 I ordered comes in. Basic XLT with a 6.2. Livermore Ford offers lifetime power train warranty. Been 4 months and they still don’t know when it will be in.

Any 5.3 will intermittently tow 8000 lbs just fine, it just has to spin faster than it does empty. I've pulled an equipment trailer at 11k gtw with my '12 5.3 3.43 and it was fine, I just manually selected 4th as the max highway gear and the let motor spin. I'm sure the even newer 5.3's with more power and speeds would be even better. I would hate to pay the 6.2 fuel penalty all the time I drive just so I can accelerate a little faster towing. If I was towing half the time maybe it would be different but at that point why discuss a half ton.

this

a 2.3 pinto motor lazily dribbling out 88 retarded ponies will move 8k at freeway speeds no problem
it'll just take a couple minutes to get up to speed

Dont the gm 6.2 engines run on premium gas though? Nobody ever factors the extra cost of premium (or diesel) when they start mpg dick measuring.

Also the mountains do make a difference. You could tow 8k with a 4.3 here in FL easily. :laughing:

Dont the gm 6.2 engines run on premium gas though? Nobody ever factors the extra cost of premium (or diesel) when they start mpg dick measuring.

Also the mountains do make a difference. You could tow 8k with a 4.3 here in FL easily. :laughing:

Premium recommended but we ran ours on regular quite often. Never had any pinging issues.

I think if I were to buy a new truck it’d be a Tundra. They put 4.30 gears or something close to it in some of their trucks. Probably pretty decent set up for towing, but I’m not sure how well a Tundra hauls.

No desire to buy any new truck, but GM hasn’t really wowed me with their crappy DOD-AFM system that’s hit or miss in when it might cause serious issues.

I had two Tundras, an 08 and 12, both had the 5.7 with 4.30 gears. They both pulled my 8,500lb camper better than my 10 Ram 1500 with 5.7 and 3.92 gears pulled my 5,000 lb cargo trailer.

mine never saw a drop in 12k miles.

Not to hijack this tread, but what can yall tell me about the oil pumps on the 5.3? Found an 2005 z71 tahoe with 212K miles for $3.5k. The only problem is it "needs an oil pump but drives fine". That makes me think its relief value is stuck or... run away because some damage has already happen. This would be a work/tow (5K)/hunting rig for me.

Top Back Refresh