What's new

Cheapish RC car for old man?

RusM

Amateur Viking
Member Number
Loc
North Bend WA
I was thinking about getting one for my dad for his birthday. Is there anything decent in the $100 range available on Amazon? Or should I just get him the kids fire truck with siren? :flipoff2:

Danchee Ridgerock for sure. I bought one for my kids and out of all the (much more expensive) rc crawlers we have
71742787-B423-416F-8A73-29DF567A9CA5.png
the ridgerock is the only one still working perfectly. And it has 4 wheel steer and is a crawling SOB

Thanks guys! Ended up getting the Axial because it kinda looks like a Scout the old man had when he was younger. :usa:

Nice, can't really go wrong with the Axials. I have a couple mildly built older SCX10s, but got my kids some of the SCX24s and kept them stock because that's a black hole once you start tinkering. Nice thing about this scale is they're the same as many model car kits, so lots of body options.

My kid has a litehawk lil tom. It's been abused by a 3 now 4 year old for nearly a year. I had to replace both axles (it's driven at each axle), for nearly $25CAD. For what it is, it's worth two or 3 times the price.
20211102_101149.jpg

I've been rocking a TRX4 for a few weeks now. Its freaking awesome. My kid uses an old, old, OLD 2WD Stampede and he's getting frustrated with it. Probably be getting him a TRX before long as well. But, it is a bit more than $100. :laughing:

Picked it up Wednesday.. It IS an MN99S... I like it .. Doesn't look like parts are a problem . .. MN99 parts are all over eBay. Even lots of upgrades. Ordering Thru Napa is a great deal too.. Almost $30. less than anybody else . 👍👍

Axial SCX 24. Summit Racing sells it as well as amazon. Pretty sure it comes with a battery and a remote, but double check.
Got the kid one for Christmas and the motor seems to have locked up, wont move forward/reverse but the headlights turn on and it steers. Better to warranty the whole thing, or play replace-a-part under warranty till they stop breaking?
Tempted to just send it back and find a replacement controller for my old adjustable height skid steer RC truck (wheels and motors on each are all one unit with a center pivot and their angle is motorized so it can lift/lower the whole truck), both wheels on each side are tied together so it turns by skidding.

Aaron Z

Got the kid one for Christmas and the motor seems to have locked up, wont move forward/reverse but the headlights turn on and it steers. Better to warranty the whole thing, or play replace-a-part under warranty till they stop breaking?
Tempted to just send it back and find a replacement controller for my old adjustable height skid steer RC truck (wheels and motors on each are all one unit with a center pivot and their angle is motorized so it can lift/lower the whole truck), both wheels on each side are tied together so it turns by skidding.

Aaron Z

Contact Horizon Hobby, they will diagnose the problem and send out the parts, they won't send a whole new unit. Tell them the esc was acting glitchy too before the motor locked up, they'll probably send you a replacement which is nice to have on the bench. In the mean time, order a couple of replacement motors (they are ~$7) to have on hand, you will burn another up eventually...

If you want to start the modding bug, have fun! Weight makes a huge difference on these little machines, get as much as you can down low and they will crawl really well. Wheels and tire also make a huge difference over stock.

If you really want to have some fun, make an indoor course for it, as simple or complex as you want.

Top Back Refresh