What's new

Cheap scope reco. for a 10/22?

bgaidan

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Apparently my eyeballs aren't what they used to be and I've become a shitty shot with my iron sights. Although the groundhog tearing up my yard appreciates it, I don't. :laughing:

Looking for something relatively cheap to slap on my 10/22 takedown for taking out certain unwanted animals around the yard. I can't really get away with shooting anything bigger on my property without pissing off the neighbors.

I've never bought or owned any type of optics so I'm a bit lost.

I ordered the rail kit for the receiver. Since this is the takedown, I'd like something short and low profile that will still let me split it and store it.

Random google pic::dustin:
2-Hogue-Rubber-Overmolded-Stock.png

And for some reason, this mount didn't come up the other day when I ordered the rail, but I could got this route too if it would work better:
419vYxG4d3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I have a cheap Tasco on my 10/22, it would meet your needs, but isnt going to setting any competition records.

I guess the real question is how far are you shooting?

cuz out to 50 yards ish, I would drop a Sig romeo 5 on it and call it a day

I'm hesitant to advertise it, because they don't make them anymore and I'm still buying them when decent deals show up on eBay.

My favorite budget .22 scope is the discontinued Bushnell AR Optics Drop Zone 22 2-7x32. Side focus, .22 LR BDC reticle, target turrets, good eye relief, and surprisingly decent glass for what it is. You could regularly find them for $100 when they were still making them.

I think I must not be the only one buying them, because used ones have been going for $150+ the past 6 months or so.

There's a used one with rings and box on eBay right now, ends in a few days. Don't bid on it okay. :flipoff2:

Probably normally under 50, but potentially upwards of 80-100 on occasion.

this isnt as cheap as you are wanting maybe, but US Optics TS-12.

9.6 inches long.

was seeing them for $312 earlier this week.

if it were me, id pay that over the tasco any day of the week. they are both chinese made but not all chinese made scopes are created equal.

Apparently my eyeballs aren't what they used to be and I've become a shitty shot with my iron sights. Although the groundhog tearing up my yard appreciates it, I don't. :laughing:

Looking for something relatively cheap to slap on my 10/22 takedown for taking out certain unwanted animals around the yard. I can't really get away with shooting anything bigger on my property without pissing off the neighbors.

I've never bought or owned any type of optics so I'm a bit lost.

I ordered the rail kit for the receiver. Since this is the takedown, I'd like something short and low profile that will still let me split it and store it.

Random google pic::dustin:
2-Hogue-Rubber-Overmolded-Stock.png

And for some reason, this mount didn't come up the other day when I ordered the rail, but I could got this route too if it would work better:
419vYxG4d3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
I've always had good luck with the BSA Sweet 22. Used to be $50, now they're around $80. Pretty cheap entertainment. I even got my Rifleman patch (twice) at P. Appleseed using the Sweet 22!

Probably normally under 50, but potentially upwards of 80-100 on occasion.
I've got a Romeo MSR on my AR truck gun. The limitations of 100 yds are me, not that optic. Frankly, it has surprised me, it is one of the cheapest optics I have and I haven't had to touch it since initial zero. And I don't "luv" that particular gun and, yet, it is one of the most reliable gun/optic combos I have.

I had the same problem with my eyes and the 10/22's big brother :) This is a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X32mm. No complaints and decent optics for a $130 scope. I actually have a cheap BSA red dot on my 10/22 but like the clarity of the scope better.

Attachments

• 20230316_210411.jpg
    20230316_210411.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 8
Ordered the Romeo 5. Found it for $119 on Amazon and it'll be here tomorrow. I have a feeling I may still end up wanting an actual scope with some magnification, but worst case I have an AR that I can throw the Romeo on if I end up going that route.

I had the same problem with my eyes and the 10/22's big brother :) This is a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7X32mm. No complaints and decent optics for a $130 scope. I actually have a cheap BSA red dot on my 10/22 but like the clarity of the scope better.
I have that same scope on a Marlin, and like you said, for $130 its fine for minute of squirrel.

My favorite budget .22 scope is the discontinued Bushnell AR Optics Drop Zone 22 2-7x32.

There's a used one with rings and box on eBay right now, ends in a few days. Don't bid on it okay. :flipoff2:
Thanks for not running the bids up on me!

I think I have enough of them for now, feel free to bid on any others.

I have a nikon 22 scope that I really like on my 10-22 for around the house
Nikon stopped making scope, but you could probably find one. Works well and hasn't had any issues.

this isnt as cheap as you are wanting maybe, but US Optics TS-12.

9.6 inches long.

was seeing them for $312 earlier this week.

if it were me, id pay that over the tasco any day of the week. they are both chinese made but not all chinese made scopes are created equal.
I have one of those on my 24" AR. The turrets are mush, the scope is so short you can't use a one piece mount, and the optics are just OK. You get what you pay for on that one. I use it in a restricted PRS style match where 10x is max, (I only dial it up to 10), and there's enough reticle to go from 200 out to 650 or so, but it's not USO quality of old that's for sure.

I have a 1-6x Primary Arms with their .22 ACSS reticle. It's SFP so the BDC only works at 6x, but that's OK with me. You zero it at 25 or 50 and the center dot is right on, and you can range cans, squirrels, bunnies, bottles, the reticle is designed for that. It's a pretty cool little scope.

Primary Arms SLx 1-6x24 SFP Rifle Scope Gen III - Illuminated ACSS Reticle - 22 LR

PA1-6X24SFP-ACSS-22LR_14.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of those on my 24" AR. The turrets are mush, the scope is so short you can't use a one piece mount, and the optics are just OK. You get what you pay for on that one. I use it in a restricted PRS style match where 10x is max, (I only dial it up to 10), and there's enough reticle to go from 200 out to 650 or so, but it's not USO quality of old that's for sure.

I have a 1-6x Primary Arms with their .22 ACSS reticle. It's SFP so the BDC only works at 6x, but that's OK with me. You zero it at 25 or 50 and the center dot is right on, and you can range cans, squirrels, bunnies, bottles, the reticle is designed for that. It's a pretty cool little scope.

Primary Arms SLx 1-6x24 SFP Rifle Scope Gen III - Illuminated ACSS Reticle - 22 LR

PA1-6X24SFP-ACSS-22LR_14.jpg

Yeah those uso lines are Chinese. Definitely not like the ones of old

Half my shit has a swfa of some sort on it. Every once in a while that will fuck you up
Well at least you can shim a SWFA SS as a half-ass zero stop. My new Zeiss has an unusual method to set zero stop, but it works great.

How to Set the Ballistic Stop, Elevation NOTE A: The Ballistic Stop allows the elevation turret to be aligned with the '0' reference when set. NOTE B: The elevation turret cap is removable via three Torx T8 set screws which require being loosened to access the Ballistic Stop assembly. NOTE C: Once the Ballistic Stop assembly is exposed, you will need to loosen three additional Torx T8 set screws for setting the Ballistic Stop. 22 EN Instructions for use ZEISS LRP S3 425-50 | 636-56 Attention: Before attempting to zero your rifle, always make sure the firearm is unloaded. Step 1: It is assumed that the riflescope is, and that the turret settings are, now sighted-in to the preferred zeroing distance. It is suggested that the rifle and scope be well secured to prevent any unnecessary movement and allow for both hands to be free to work. Step 2: a) Using the appropriate Torx T8 wrench, loosen the three set screws on the turret cap by turning each of them counterclockwise for one rotation (1). b) Remove the elevation turret cap by lifting off the turret cap assembly (2). c) You may feel slight resistance while lifting off the cap. d) Place the turret cap aside on a clean surface. Take care to keep the inside of the turret cap clean and free of debris. e) The Ballistic Stop assembly is now exposed. Maintain the cleanliness of the Ballistic Stop assembly. T T T (1) (2) 23 Step 3: Loosen the three T8 set screws, marked with a delta atop the Ballistic Stop disc, counterclockwise for one rotation (3). Press down firmly on the disc until stopped and bottomed out (4). T T T Then rotate the Ballistic Stop disc clockwise until it comes to a hard stop (4). Ensure the two pins remain in contact with each other–not allowing further downward adjustment of the turret. Now tighten the three T8 set screws atop the Ballistic Stop disc, indicated with a delta (5). The torque value setting for these screws is 1 Nm or 8.85 in lbs. 1.) 2.) T T T (3) (4) (5) 24 EN Instructions for use ZEISS LRP S3 425-50 | 636-56 NOTE: Do not overtighten the screws. Improper torque settings can cause the turret’s cap to slip during turret adjustment. Step 4: Be sure the entire assembly is clean and free of debris and put the turret cap on again. Center it over the turret body assembly and press it down lightly into position (6). Maintain a slight downward pressure on the cap, align the cap’s engraved numerical “0”/zero index mark with the vertical engraved center line on the turret’s base housing, and tighten the three T8 set screws clockwise (7). The torque value setting for these screws is 1 Nm or 8.85 in lbs. T T T (6) (7) 25 Step 5: When completed, it is advised to test the ‘stop’ setting. To do so, try to rotate the elevation turret beyond the newly established ‘stop’. You should not be able to rotate past the newly established Ballistic Stop setting. It should render a solid and robust stop, with no further click feeling or adjustment. Step 6: Once satisfied that the Ballistic Stop is set properly, confirm the rifle and scope zero by firing 2–3 additional shots on the sight-in target, at the sight-in distance, to reconfirm the previously established zero

Last edited:
I got drunk an ordered one of those arken scopes..

Zero stop is badass. But what kinda asshole builds a turret to do 8 Mils per turn?

So far, for a cheap scope the thing is legit. But why not a 5 or 10 mil turret?

Top Back Refresh