What's new

Cheap Plasma Cutters Thread

not2hye

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Hellifornia
Purchased an Everlast machine in February, and it has been nothing but a headache, didn't work out of the box and I still dont have a working machine.

Who's got a cheap unit from ebay/amazon that they have had good luck or good customer support with?

Looking to stay sub $1k and around 50 amps with pilot arc.

Well damn it, I was thinking about upgrading my cheap Amazon plaz to an Everlast :laughing:​​​​​​

I have the....... 520 something..... Multi process (no idea why I did that) it's been fine. Can't complain for $400

Well damn it, I was thinking about upgrading my cheap Amazon plaz to an Everlast :laughing:​​​​​​

I have the....... 520 something..... Multi process (no idea why I did that) it's been fine. Can't complain for $400

Not impressed with Everlast customer service, not even a little bit.

The ultimate cheap metal cutter for all the thickness :flipoff2:
oxy-acetylene-welding-101-3.jpg

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/1175/...ediumDutyOutfi

$300 for everything except for gas. not as cheap as i feel like they used to be, but my torch and such is all probably 20 years old at this point (guess i should probably buy new hoses at some point, just 'cuz). no generator or electricity needed, cuts from 3/16-? without issue. consumables? What's that :eek:

don't need to worry about supply air quality or if it can sever 1/2" in a pinch.

"one of these days" i'm going to actually buy some standoff rollers so that i can maybe get halfway straight lines, but that goes for either setup

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/1175/...ediumDutyOutfi
$300 for everything except for gas. not as cheap as i feel like they used to be, but my torch and such is all probably 20 years old at this point (guess i should probably buy new hoses at some point, just 'cuz). no generator or electricity needed, cuts from 3/16-? without issue. consumables? What's that :eek:

don't need to worry about supply air quality or if it can sever 1/2" in a pinch.

"one of these days" i'm going to actually buy some standoff rollers so that i can maybe get halfway straight lines, but that goes for either setup

I'm not anti torch by any means, but bottles aren't cheap.

Torches don't have consumables huh?

What about the 2 giant bottles like like to run out at the worst time.

Just get a hypertherm. How many more are you going to buy until you like it?

This. I've run powermax machines on my cnc table almost daily for years. No issues, great cuts, support a great company.

That's great for some. I had to replace all my tools in the last 18 months. I bought a big name welder, bender, and a few others. Could not justify $1800 vs $300 for how much I use it. No way I would buy a $300 plaz for a table though.

I don't know how some people can understand that everyone doesn't need the best of everything, especially when you only need it a dozen times a year.

​​​​

I'm just saying, he's already got a cheap one he doesn't like, and he's looking for another cheap one. Pretty soon he's gonna have just about the same amount of $ in it, as if he just went for a good one from the get go.

I don't know what everlast machine he has, but the cheapest one I see on their site is almost $700.

Last edited:
I'd sell my pm45 for 750, but it's got a machine torch. Only replaced because I bought a pm85. I think I'd rather have a used quality unit over a China cutter. One of my first plasma cutters was a cheap one that sat under the bench because oxy acetylene was better.

Well yes, if used machines were beat to shit around here and 90% of new prices.

You can get an OK 50 amp plaz on Amazon for $300 that will do most garage shit pretty decent.

I kinda wish I'd got the eastwood 60 amp for $700 instead, but there is no way I could justify $1800. Buying a name brand plaz that's smaller is a waste imo.

I bought this one. I was a little skeptical because it was so cheap. However, a buddy of mine had one and loved it. He convinced me to finally buy one. I’ve used it several times without issue. I did have to make two passes to cut through 1/2” plate. Anything smaller than that is a breeze.

photo5614.png

I bought this one. I was a little skeptical because it was so cheap. However, a buddy of mine had one and loved it. He convinced me to finally buy one. I’ve used it several times without issue. I did have to make two passes to cut through 1/2” plate. Anything smaller than that is a breeze.

That's basically the same one I have, works fine for the price.

I have a RazorWeld CUT45 that I like. I've had it for a couple of years, use it occasionally, and haven't had any issues. But I have a Hypertherm and a Lincoln that I use at work, and there's no way it compares to either of those.

I have a RazorWeld CUT45 that I like. I've had it for a couple of years, use it occasionally, and haven't had any issues. But I have a Hypertherm and a Lincoln that I use at work, and there's no way it compares to either of those.
Have one of these as well. It's my first plasma cutter I've ever owned or used. The arc blows out fairly frequently,but I'm about 99% sure it's user error not the machine. It easily cuts everything I've thrown at it. Consumables are a little harder to find, have to order them and cant just run down to the local supply shop. I've heard there is a harbor freight tip that works, but havent tried it. Also a little hard to find drag tips but they do exist. Works on 220 or 110, but I've only ran on 220.

all of them apparently. :homer:

I'm not anti torch by any means, but bottles aren't cheap.

Torches don't have consumables huh?

What about the 2 giant bottles like like to run out at the worst time.

That's great for some. I had to replace all my tools in the last 18 months. I bought a big name welder, bender, and a few others. Could not justify $1800 vs $300 for how much I use it. No way I would buy a $300 plaz for a table though.

I don't know how some people can understand that everyone doesn't need the best of everything, especially when you only need it a dozen times a year.

​​​​
:laughing: I’ve got 2 oxyacetylene rigs and a propane rig. I’ve learned that lesson too many times. And some extra oxygen cylinders around here somewhere that are full. :laughing:

i just need a machine to get a few projects done in the near future. This whole mess is holding up my smoker build and land cruiser rebuild. When I got some more cash rolling my way, I’m going after an 85 amp pm unit.

I'd sell my pm45 for 750, but it's got a machine torch. Only replaced because I bought a pm85. I think I'd rather have a used quality unit over a China cutter. One of my first plasma cutters was a cheap one that sat under the bench because oxy acetylene was better.

I’d be interested in a used machine like that if you’re serious.

edited for speeeeling

Last edited:
There ya go! Buy it and replace the torch then never look back. I love my hypertherm!

I’d be interested in a used machine like that if you’re serious.

edited for speeeeling

Looks like the hand torch is about 300, so keep that in mind. But yes i would sell it. I can promise I won't get around to shipping it too quickly.

Looks like the hand torch is about 300, so keep that in mind. But yes i would sell it. I can promise I won't get around to shipping it too quickly.

I looked them up before I got my hopes up :laughing: they’re not cheap. $300 to $500 range.
I should have an answer to my refund in the next day or so, I’ll be making my decision on next course of action after that.

Where are you located? Shipping might be killer.

Last edited:
I looked them up before I got my hopes up :laughing: they’re not cheap. $300 to $500 range.
I should have an answer to my refund in the next day or so, I’ll be making my decision on next course of action after that.

Where are you located? Shipping might be killer.

NY. It's kind of heavy so shipping would be a bit, unless we find someone driving cross country it can stow away with.

x2 hypertherm 30 with the built in air compressor is the perfect portable torch for random projects all around not just in the shop and you dont have to worry about having a good air source :grinpimp:

I have the HF special (40 amp) at home and the newer 45 amp one at work. I've use the 40 amp more, but so far they have both been good tools for the price.

30 amp is pretty weak isn't it?

good enough for 99% of what i do, 85% or more of what i cut is 1/4" and under, and it will cut up to 5/8"
what i really love about it is not having to deal with filling gas bottles or having a good air supply, and the ability to torch out welds and drastically reduce my angle grinding time.
Cutting
Recommended5/16"20 ipm
3/8"10 ipm
Severance5/8"5 ipm

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh