What's new

Chassis/ fab table.

you need to drill one hole in the wrong spot just to fuck with people when they see the table. hahaha :lmao::lmao: but it will probably just annoy :beer:you more than anything. hahahah

love the table
there is a 100000% chance I would do this, but not on purpose. I'd wind up drilling one of the "off" holes. I'd throw some tape over the bad holes on the template, knowing I'm an idiot when I get on cruise control doing something repetitive :homer:

I like the jig idea. I have been wanting to mag drill a pattern in my table but haven’t because of all the slop in the pin/cutter lining up to a centerpunch mark

Buy one of these:

Leave the legs off and turn it upside down on your table drill and pin 2 holes and build the entire grid off of those holes. using the OD like the OP's jig or this table is way more accurate than layout with center punch.

Table Drill.jpg

Honestly the Klutch table and it's fixtures are kinda bogus but it makes a great template and you can cut it up for custom fixtures or sell it / give it to a buddy than needs a small welding table.

Bolts showed up wrong, so I went and found some 5/8 rod from ace. It actually fits really nice and tight, made some t shaped pins and also made my first clamp out of a broken c clamp from work. Got a few hours this afternoon to do some work. I timed my self because I figured someone would ask. 22 minutes to drill a row of holes 28 minutes by the time I drilled ,cleaned chips, ran the Countersink with the hand drill, re pined it for the next holes. Gonna go out after the boys and wife go to bed and try and get a few more rows. So far it's turning out really nice.
20220115_132148.jpg
20220115_132229.jpg
20220115_132153.jpg
20220115_155539.jpg
20220115_165946.jpg

That looks great is it tracking true? I was thinking about this setup, if you flipped the jig each time it would cancel any errors.

That looks great is it tracking true? I was thinking about this setup, if you flipped the jig each time it would cancel any errors.
Yes so far so good. I spent about a hour trying to make it as close to square with this edge as possible. The other edges have the angle iron in the way to get a precise measurement from but here is the first hole and the last one I drilled sofar.
20220115_175754.jpg
20220115_175830.jpg

Well I went out after my wife and boys went to bed. Wife even went and got me some beer for a long night in the garage. Drilled one more row with no issues. Started the next row of holes and on the second one the bit just shattered. Gotta see if we have anymore at work. If not I'll have to order one Monday, hopefully I will have it done next weekend.
20220116_105859.jpg

Wow, you think you hit a hard spot or did it bind up somehow?

Idk if it was a hard spot. It definitely wasn't bound up. Kinda wierd I had started drilling and just lifted it to spray some oil and when I put pressure back on it it felt like broke through the other side. I'm thinking it was a old worn out bit. And at that point it had drilled close to 90 holes.

Found some bits, got a few more rows in before dinner. Made the half way mark. Planning on putting some hours in tonight.
20220121_160933.jpg

Finally done. 288 holes . Can't lie I'm glad to be done with this project. Couple things I figured out. The plate is not perfectly square. If I mesure from the long side of the table the holes are dead nuts on. From the side it's about 3 /16 difference. The holes them self are great. Square as can be. I will probably trim the table so I can use the edge for mesurements. My previous caliper measurements are off due to the fact that someone rounded off the corner and must have ran the grinder down the edge a little. I didn't notice this until today. I got under the table and ran the countersink on all the holes to de bur them. Ground the top with a flap wheel. And oiled it so it keeps from rusting. Next project is some clamps.
20220123_142609.jpg
20220123_142715.jpg
one thing I realized after the fact is the clamp will work nice with the angle to hold tube for cutting or grinding.
20220123_152231.jpg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh