What's new

Charge cooler on a crawler

No way

Viking Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Under the bus
Trying to decide if I could delete the charge cooler for my crawler build. It'll be a comp buggy but we usually just run 5mins at a time and then wait in line 10-20 minutes.

Engine is a 2.3 4banger with a low pressure turbo pruducing 190-200ish hp

How much does an air cooler actually help when the car is never going fast enough for airflow to cool it. I'd be relying on the cooling fqns..

Well, industrial turbo diesels have charge coolers and only run a few mph so I’d say properly sized cooling fans on an air-to-air will help.

If you are really only running 5-10 minutes it would probably be fine though. Find someone clearancing those stupid clamp-on oil filter coolers and clamp them to your compressor outlet pipe

Not really needed for your application. But. The added heat isn't good for power. If it were me I would just pull some timing out and shed the charge air cooler.

More Dense air = more power.
Charge air cooler => Radiator => puller fan would simplify fans and get air flow within extra fan.

Will the air density make a power difference that is notable? Not sure.

No cooler. No problem.
48B300E5-61EB-47A5-9C85-B32702C94755.jpeg

What about a small water/meth inj system that triggered by full throttle?
Then I'd say leave it alone due to cost. Meth kits are a few hundred bucks. You could probably cobble one together or find used though.

I actually plan on spraying meth on the wife's car. But it will be 100% methanol getting sprayed.

Overall, we are talking about loosing 10 hp maybe without the intercooler

Theres also the kiss factor of no intercooler. Lots of failure point with them, especially if you do 4wheeled ballet

Losing 10ish hp isn't a concern, I can regain that through tuning. I chose this engine mainly due to it being highly tunable and because it provides max torque at 1700rpm.
Rules prevent meth/water. All i can run is regular gasoline.

Appreciate all your input, thanks. :beer:

Then I'd say leave it alone due to cost. Meth kits are a few hundred bucks. You could probably cobble one together or find used though.
You're paying the bulk of the money for someone else to have figured it all out for you. A pair of misting nozzles, a momentary switch on the throttle linkage, a relay and a pump are all you need. I dunno if a windshield wash pump makes enough pressure to properly utilize a misting nozzle but odds are whatever reservoir you're using comes with one so it's worth a try.

You're paying the bulk of the money for someone else to have figured it all out for you. A pair of misting nozzles, a momentary switch on the throttle linkage, a relay and a pump are all you need. I dunno if a windshield wash pump makes enough pressure to properly utilize a misting nozzle but odds are whatever reservoir you're using comes with one so it's worth a try.
You are correct. For me I get anal about controlling it. I've thought of misting nozzles and a 044 pump. But use a pwm signal to control it.

Rock on it and report back!

You are correct. For me I get anal about controlling it. I've thought of misting nozzles and a 044 pump. But use a pwm signal to control it.

Rock on it and report back!
Use the PWM to control line pressure using the pump. Don't try to run a solenoid that opens/closes the a line that stays at constant pressure like a fuel injector. People tried that for 30+ yr and never got it working reliably. There are some really fancy high dollar kits that do it that way but for what you're doing 80s-2010s tech will work fine.

Top Back Refresh