What's new

"Chained" to the VF1A

IowaOffRoad

King shit of turd island
BRC
Member Number
Loc
Under the apple tree
I'm planning on swapping the drivetrain in my '83 to a Magnum 3.9L, R151, VF1A from a 20R, G56, RF1A. I'm curious as to the things I need to look out for, the availability of triple drilled flanges and which ones to get, why I would be so dumb as to ditch the old reliable gear drive, whatever you think I should know. I like the lower low range and will end up with a slightly better crawl ratio than my current setup when done (52:1 vs 47:1). I know in Toyota land this is weak, but I think with the increase in power it will be ideal for the areas I wheel in now and in the near future.

Only problem with that case is chain stretch. A new chain from Toyota is $600. Not sure of an aftermarket source.

A 150. 2 came with a pile of parts I got from a guy who was getting out of fixint 3rd gen pickups up for resale. Gave $300 for 2 transmissions with t-cases, a bunch of interior and electrical parts, sensors, wiring harnesses, manifolds, ecm's. Must've had 151 envy when I typed it:homer:

I’m not sure what your question is? I see no problem with it, as long as you don’t plan to upgrade to stacked cases and one of your chain cases is in good shape.

I’m not sure what your question is? I see no problem with it, as long as you don’t plan to upgrade to stacked cases and one of your chain cases is in good shape.
I have no experience with the VF1A, other than in a stock daily with 276K on it. I'm just wondering how everyone thinks it will hold up in a 3500# rig with roughly 190hp, 5 speed, 5.29 gears. What, if anything can be upgraded. What I should look out for in the way of potential failures. It's a Toyota product designed 40 years ago (probably) so I assume that it will take much more than stock, but I don't know. Most of the hard wheeling in Toyland seems to be gear drive doublers with 22RE's (I keed, I keed) so I haven't seen or heard of anyone really whooping on one.

They where put behind the 3.slow so if in good condition I don’t think 50 or so more horsepower is going to hurt one. People swap 3.4 into old 3.0 trucks all the time with similar power levels.

Top Back Refresh