What's new

Chain drive t case in 70's frame??

Defecater

Member Number
Anybody got experience/ advice on getting a chain drive t case in a 70's Frame without cutting the hell out of it? Putting together a cheap 78 Bronco trail only rig. No argument the 205 is tough, but the low range just sucks ass!! I know the case from a 97+ F150 or Expedition(4406?) is narrow enough, but the rear slip yoke adds too much length to make it feasible for a Bronco. 1356 is what I would like to use. Might settle for a 208. I am well aware that the spline count and round bolt pattern will bolt up. Issue is the physical width of the cases.

People shove full size cases in Rangers and those have a 32.xx" outside frame width. With 34 you'd have to be a moron to find a way to make it not work.

its tight. but works. the 208.....fits better, but breaks easier. i fuk them up regular and they are getting harder to find...so a nwf doubler to 205 is looking good. or maybe just sack up for an atlas 4 speed. the nwf into the 205 isnt too bad for length depending on what trans you are running. the shorty c6 with that combo wouldnt be much longer then a 203 on a creeper 3 speed..

http://www.northwestfab.com/NWF-EcoBox-205-Billet-Planetary-Doubler-Case_p_3361.html

Last edited:
I did a 302/aod/208 and had to take just a nip out of the frame for the 208. Maybe 3/4". The only other options I could think of was to either scoot the towers one forward, one backward just enough to slightly angle the motor or to fab a new shorter passenger tower and use a spacer on the drivers side.

Any more experience on this?

I was planning on running a 1356 in a 79 2wd, but maybe I need to find the 97+ stuff

I've got a Bronco 1356 sitting on the shop floor, if any measurements would help.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could prob mix n match dodge and ford versions of the 271. Use the dodge case; ford input and output.

Top Back Refresh