What's new

Centering steering/ pitman arm

Cheapzuk

Member Number
putting a new ifs box on my samurai. When swapping my pitman arm, the flat one that I’ve been using had no alignment marks, bottom of sector shaft does.
So I did my best guess to line up the pitman arm, and now the steering is off. It could also be off if my steering shaft is off a tooth as well, but that had a flat spot where the 12mm bolt goes through
How do I figure out where perfectly center is on the steering box with no hash mark on the aftermarket pitman arm? and without those marks where should the pitman arm be facing? I’m assuming straight/ parallel with the vehicle going straight down road?
Does the steering box have a “neutral/ center” position when it’s going straight down the road, or does it not matter if the arm is a tooth off?
Thanks

Cheap math says, count turns in box, lock to lock.
Verify tires are centered.
Split box turns in half and assemble...
Being a tooth off you just lose steering angle 1 side.
I do toyota's, so gawd help you

Cheap math says, count turns in box, lock to lock.
Verify tires are centered.
Split box turns in half and assemble...
Being a tooth off you just lose steering angle 1 side.
I do toyota's, so gawd help you
Same here I'm a toyota guy, but split the difference on the box and call it good, you'll never be dead center, but the box will have more turn than your axle, so unless your way off you won't notice.

then just play with your linkage to center the box vs the steering and steering wheel.

Let me try and be more clear, find box center, then work on the rest of the system trying to keep the box as close to center until you get the steering wheel and wheels all in line.

hope that makes sense

Top Back Refresh