What's new

Ccw permit in Ca. Should be a looong thread

It does help with the background check, I was asked about that permit when I bought my toy at Shiloh. Passing a check for me is a no problem thing for past DoD /DoE clearance reasons.
There is no handgun safety test in MT...otherwise my wife would have flunked when she bought her Glock.:laughing:

It's really just a time saver, what? 10 Mins of paperwork instead of 30 :laughing:

Now that I looked it up, I can't see that ID requires it either.

Alabama is literally pass a background check at the sheriff’s office help window. Pay a fee. They print it right there and give it to you. Good for 5 years and for an extra $2 they will laminate the card for you.

Iowa requires a safety class that you can do online. No shooting required. Go to the same sheriffs office help window and fill out the form. I got my card faster than my drivers license and I did both of those documents the same day.

I need my eyes checked. I read the thread title as Cow permit:cow:.

The other reason to get a permit even in a consitutional carry state is that federal gun free school zone crap. you might be okay within 1000ft of a school in the eyes of the state, but federal version will still apply since it only exempts those "licensed by the state to carry" and someone can push that you are not "licensed" under constitutional carry

plus if you get your state's permit, its likely to be accepted in other states.

So in my county it looks like the entire process should take me about a year so i figured id document it here.

First thing to do is get myself a new gun so i have something to put on the application. There are 2 guns on the ca roster that i can get without much hassle that im torn between as my first cary gun. My top 2 choices are either a m&p shield .40 or a Kimber ultra carry II. Thoughts on these 2? Both are comfortable for me to shoot and fit my hand well. Im leaning towards the kimber but not entirely sure why as i know very little about hand guns. I supose the extra weight of the kimber makes it feel more solid and i like that my pinky fits on the grip without the extended mag on the shield.

which one do i want and why?

What's the latest?🤔

What's the latest?🤔
Not sure if i mentioned it but my next door neighbor carrys the kimber... and i decided thats what i want. The kimber cc2 in stainless with the wood grips. Im trying to find one to buy online but realized that the 2 shops within 20 miles of me wont do online sales/transfers.... so im at a hold untill i have a few hours to put more effort in

Not sure if i mentioned it but my next door neighbor carrys the kimber... and i decided thats what i want. The kimber cc2 in stainless with the wood grips. Im trying to find one to buy online but realized that the 2 shops within 20 miles of me wont do online sales/transfers.... so im at a hold untill i have a few hours to put more effort in

Very nice.:smokin:

I have an Ultra Carry II and a full size M&P .40. I have never carried the M&P due to its size, but I absolutely love how that gun feels. It has great ergonomics. I carry the Ultra Carry during winter months as it is a little big in shorts and a t-shirt. During warmer months I carry a Kimber Micro 9. Can't go wrong with either choice really.

I'm in a constitutional carry state but also have CCW, mostly for the reciprocity, but also I feel it gives me another layer of legal protection should I ever be involved in a shooting. I have multiple training certs, am a NRA certified pistol instructor, have no arrests, have a CCW, etc., it's going to be a a tough road to show I'm a blood-thirsty, gun crazy, irresponsible gun owner.

I'm in a constitutional carry state but also have CCW, mostly for the reciprocity, but also I feel it gives me another layer of legal protection should I ever be involved in a shooting. I have multiple training certs, am a NRA certified pistol instructor, have no arrests, have a CCW, etc., it's going to be a a tough road to show I'm a blood-thirsty, gun crazy, irresponsible gun owner.
It will be easy to convict you. They will look online and see all of your evil “sniper” rifles with silencers.:lmao:

It will be easy to convict you. They will look online and see all of your evil “sniper” rifles with silencers.:lmao:
Probably this, easy for the Soros DAs to pervert all that training into convincing the jury you have been training for murder and the first poor soul you ran in to “you suddenly felt the power of a lifetime of murder training, and needed to fulfill your desires.”

I can't think of any situation where that would be applicable. It's not like I'm going to shoot the neighbor at 800yds. I know you're trying to make a funny, but self-defense is just that.

Probably this, easy for the Soros DAs to pervert all that training into convincing the jury you have been training for murder and the first poor soul you ran in to “you suddenly felt the power of a lifetime of murder training, and needed to fulfill your desires.”
Probably in Kalifornia.

After fingering a million different guns i ended up with something totally different then i initially thought and am pretty stoked on it.
20220223_165103.jpg

I just completed my application and paid a $150 non refundable deposit. I had to give them every bit of my info for the last 20 years, copys of id, multiple proofs of residency, and 4 references.

The soonest in person appointment (whatever its for) is may 31st so i guess thats the next step.

Ok, so just got an email from the sheriff that said to speed things up i should go take my required 8hr ccw course before my appointment. Course will cost $180 so ill be into it $330 and still not have my answer

awesome choice!

and now all you need is one in 4" barrel

and another that's hammerless

and really should have a 8", for the pigs

of course, matching caliber mares leg needs to be on the list, and a full rifle to complete the set :smokin:

You could have saved $750 by just lighting off a couple of M80s in your hand.
The M80s might not hurt as much either.
My Dad had a very similar size revolver but only in .38 spl. Was as painful to shoot as a .380 PPK. Tough to practice with a gun that hurts...

Top Back Refresh