What's new

Ccw permit in Ca. Should be a looong thread

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
So in my county it looks like the entire process should take me about a year so i figured id document it here.

First thing to do is get myself a new gun so i have something to put on the application. There are 2 guns on the ca roster that i can get without much hassle that im torn between as my first cary gun. My top 2 choices are either a m&p shield .40 or a Kimber ultra carry II. Thoughts on these 2? Both are comfortable for me to shoot and fit my hand well. Im leaning towards the kimber but not entirely sure why as i know very little about hand guns. I supose the extra weight of the kimber makes it feel more solid and i like that my pinky fits on the grip without the extended mag on the shield.

which one do i want and why?

Well
my buddie carried both...
sold the kimber.
I'm a 45 man but the smith was nice, light ' but nice.

Go to Calguns if you haven't already, there is a ton of good info on there about getting a CCW permit.

I have a .40 Shield, like it alot. I don't "carry" but its comfortable for me.

Go to Calguns if you haven't already, there is a ton of good info on there about getting a CCW permit.

I have a .40 Shield, like it alot. I don't "carry" but its comfortable for me.

Ive done the research and feel like i have it figired out as far as the process goes. The prevouse county i lived in 10 minutes away will not allow you to get your ccw at all so a 1 year wait is better then that. Instead of starting the process 4 years ago when i moved, ive spent all that time bitching about it taking so long :homer:

I don't have either but I know many who carry the M&P. Not sure if it's because of comfort or price, though. I carry a Glock30 (basically a brick) and would choose the M&P simply because I've never held a Kimber and the M&P is a SOLID gun.

Just got my "new to me" state CCWP (I moved here, MO, in June but already had a CCWP from CO). I had to attend an almost complete waste of time 8 hr class ($40) and pay the sheriff's office $100. Took two days (sheriff's office was closed by the time the class finished). Yeah, yeah, I know I don't even need a permit here...

Procedures To Obtain A New Or Renewed CCW Permit:

The California Department of Justice, Bureau of Firearms STANDARD INITIAL AND RENEWAL APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON shall be completed by each initial applicant and applicants for renewal. Please read all of the application instructions carefully prior to completing this document. In responding to section #7, (page 13) “Details of reason for applicant desiring a CCW License…” provide as much information as possible to substantiate your need for a CCW permit. Personal convenience, personal protection, position or job classification, may constitute sufficient cause, but final determination of issuance will be made after the completion of a comprehensive background investigation. The application must be accurate and complete. Applications that are not legible, comprehensible, or complete will be rejected.
Prior to completing the application, be informed that per California Penal Code Section 26180, “Any person who files an application…knowing the statements contained therein are false is guilty of a misdemeanor.” It further states: “Any person who knowingly makes a false statement on the application regarding any of the following shall be guilty of a felony:
1) The denial or revocation of a license, or the denial of an amendment to a license, issued pursuant to this article.
2) A criminal conviction
3) A finding of not guilty by reason of insanity
4) The use of a controlled substance
5) A dishonorable discharge from military service
6) A commitment to a mental institution
7) A renunciation of United States citizenship
BACKGROUND PROCESS: After completing in writing the Standard Initial and Renewal Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon, the applicant must contact the Professional Standards Division, at the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office, to begin the Background Process (Ph. (831) 755-3829). The completed “Standard Initial and Renewal Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon” will be submitted when the applicant appears for the scheduled fingerprint appointment. Applicants should also be prepared to pay $133.00 in initial fees during this appointment. The complete Background Process will consist of the following:
  • Fingerprinting/Background Review: The applicant will submit their Application for review when the applicant appears for fingerprinting at the Sheriff’s Office. The applicant is required to pay the initial fees, as identified on the Fee Schedule, at the time of fingerprinting.
  • Personal Interview: The Personal Interview will be conducted by a member of the Sheriff’s Professional Standards Division. The applicant may be required to submit to a Truth Verification examination.
  • Background Investigation: The background investigation will include a home visit, contact with employers, co-workers and neighbors as well as any other persons of interest. The fact that an applicant is applying for a CCW is not confidential and may be divulged during such contacts.
  • Psychological Assessment: A Psychological Assessment will be administered by Law Enforcement Psychological Services. The applicant will be given appointment information after successfully completing the Personal Interview. Applicants are responsible for paying the $150.00 fee to Law Enforcement Psychological Services at the time of their appointment. Results of the assessment will be sent to the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office.
  • Medical Evaluation: The Sheriff’s Office reserves the right to determine medical fitness if necessary.
NOTE: The application process may be terminated at any time if disqualifying information is discovered.
CCW PERMIT RENEWAL: The standard Carry Concealed Weapon Permit is valid for two years. Prior to the expiration date, the applicant must contact the Professional Standards Division, at the Monterey County Sheriff’s
Office, to begin the Renewal Process (Ph. (831) 755-3829). The request for renewal will be evaluated and a Background Review and Investigation will be conducted (see above). The completed “Standard Initial and Renewal Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon” will be submitted when the applicant appears for the scheduled background interview; applicable renewal fees will also be due at this time. Psychological Assessments will only be required if there is compelling evidence which indicates a test is necessary. The Sheriff will make the final determination for all permit renewals.
FIREARMS QUALIFICATION: If, based on the Background Investigation results, the applicant is determined to be a viable candidate for a CCW permit, the applicant will be required to complete and pay for an approved firearms use/safety training class, as required by law. The law requires that all applicants, as well as renewals, complete this training. The Sheriff's Office requires a minimum of an 8 hour course. The Sheriff’s Office may refer applicants to a class that satisfies this requirement. In some cases the applicant may have completed this requirement prior to the Background Investigation; this is acceptable if the course was completed within the year prior to the initial application or renewal date. A certificate of completion
from the approved firearms use/safety course must be presented.
APPROVAL/DENIAL OF REQUEST: The completed Background Investigation will be referred to the Sheriff for review. The Sheriff will make the final determination regarding issuance of a CCW permit.
All applicants will be notified of the disposition of their application by mail. The DOJ application fee, Live Scan fee, and County fee, as well as the psychological and required training fees, are not refundable.
It may take (90) days, from the interview date, to complete the processing of the CCW application. Your patience is appreciated during this period of time.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS:
Completion of the application does not mean you will be issued a CCW Permit. If the permit is issued, it may be subject to reasonable limitations and restrictions, and will be valid only if used in compliance with those noted limitations and restrictions.
Possession of a CCW Permit is a privilege, not a right, and as such the Monterey County Sheriff and/or the State Attorney General’s Office reserve the absolute right to revoke the permit if it is deemed, in their sole discretion, that such revocation is necessary or appropriate.
Applicants should also be cognizant of the fact that a CCW Permit issued in the state of California is not valid in all other states. Applicants should familiarize themselves with the laws related to carrying a concealed weapon, including but not limited to Sections 26150-26225, 27235, 25400 and 25850 of the California Penal Code and Section 2006 of the California Fish and Game Code.
State law mandates that some of the information on file pertaining to CCW Permits is public information, and as such is subject to release upon request from the public. The applicant’s name, city of residence, and the stated purpose for the CCW Permit is public information and may be released on demand.
The possession of a CCW Permit does not exempt any individual from criminal prosecution or civil liability, other than the act of carrying the specific firearm within the state of California.
Carrying a concealed firearm by authority of a CCW Permit is not authorized when:
1) Attending social or public functions except when a specific need can be articulated.
2) Being under the influence of alcohol and/or medication.
3) Present in any area where weapons are prohibited, including but not limited to, the boarding area of or on board a commercial airline.
4) Acting as, or conducting business as, a private security officer.
The issuance of a Carry Concealed Weapon Permit does not excuse or justify any behavior which might otherwise be a violation of any other law pertaining to weapons.
If you require additional information pertaining to the application process, please contact our Office.

I need to blow this up and read it....
Is this from your i.a.?
Issuing Authority?
Seems most red\yellow counties use their OWN restricted ( read more stringent,) versions...

Fwiw my county reads an easy get...
Then you hit g.c.:flipoff:

I need to blow this up and read it....
Is this from your i.a.?
Issuing Authority?
Seems most red\yellow counties use their OWN restricted ( read more stringent,) versions...

Fwiw my county reads an easy get...
Then you hit g.c.:flipoff:

Tldr version

-Somewhere around $250 you will never get back

-We will talk with your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors and tell them what you are looking to do

- we will conduct an in home visit

-we will interview you

-we will have a psychiatrist interview you

-we will do a full background check

-must do a firearms safety course

-we can decide "fuck you" at any point

Damn, that’s quite the cluster fuck.

For my Utah CCW permit, I took a 2 hour class, filled out the application, submitted prints and photo, and got the permit mailed to me in about 30 days. Renew it every 5 years for $25, and a new photo.

As a bonus, it saves me the $7.50 background check fee, and a 20-30 minutes wait time whenever I buy a new gun, or suppressor.

Is the ultra carry 2 still 1911 based?

I've shot my buddies ultra carry and I'm a 1911 guy. I wasn't really impressed with it. I have a full size cheapo rock island 1911 and it shoots better than the ultra carry. It's also not a very compact gun either, just a shorter barrel and grip. I don't see it being easy to conceal with out being a huge guy.

I also think a 45 is dumb for a compact gun. If you read stories about people who have had to use their pistols, they usually always say they would have liked a few extra rounds.

I have been eyeing the kimber micro 9, just because I'm familiar with the 1911.

Also, fuck the ccw in CA. Better to be caught with then without yo :flipoff2:

Took the requisite on line (could have been in person for) written. Got my paperwork ready and references alerted then Gianforte sign a bill eliminating the CCW permit biz. Anyone can carry concealed in MT...now out $25 for the class.:shaking:

Monterey county should be fairly easy to get through. Not sure if they will actually do all the things you listed. The "training" is now State mandated. Its not any worse than the BSIS qualifications but many counties have lower standards. You should check in the IA will accept off-roster pistol, then you aren't stuck with the limited options we have.

Stanislaus County was easy. Got my AZ by mail. My CA course instructor also certified for UT, so I mailed that application in as well.

I have a M&P Shield 9, like it well enough, never had the other one.

Sounds like the process sucks but at least you get a process.

Took the requisite on line (could have been in person for) written. Got my paperwork ready and references alerted then Gianforte sign a bill eliminating the CCW permit biz. Anyone can carry concealed in MT...now out $25 for the class.:shaking:

Does it help the purchase process?

In ID, I've heard, people get them to speed up the purchase process. It's supposed to eliminate the background check and handgun saftey test.

I have a Shield in 9mm. It’s my carry around the property gun because I can just drop it in my back pocket and not worry about it (I really need to just buy a holster for it). I’m not familiar with the other choice.

I know the guy who will (most likely) be the next Sherrif of Sacramento county. If he gets in I’ll start the process for a ccw

Reactions: Clb
I have a Shield in 9mm. It’s my carry around the property gun because I can just drop it in my back pocket and not worry about it (I really need to just buy a holster for it). I’m not familiar with the other choice.

I know the guy who will (most likely) be the next Sherrif of Sacramento county. If he gets in I’ll start the process for a ccw
Why not now. Well, I’ve had mine for many moons now, then it was easy.

Renewal is all online, send PDF of class, PDF of residence and next day permit is ready.

Tldr version

-Somewhere around $250 you will never get back

-We will talk with your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors and tell them what you are looking to do

- we will conduct an in home visit

-we will interview you

-we will have a psychiatrist interview you

-we will do a full background check

-must do a firearms safety course

-we can decide "fuck you" at any point

Thats insane

True
Best part is before you even get started, they make you hunt the application that's hidden on the website in my town...
Best of luck bud!

You can probably start your Nevada Out of State/non-resident permit application while you wait. I think they're good for 3 years for non-residents and it's one 8 hour day which includes shooting/qualifying. I believe you can mail in fingerprint cards with your application, but I've never applied as an out of state resident. Scheels has the most popular class, and Cabela's/Sportsmans warehouse will also have classes.

Does it help the purchase process?

In ID, I've heard, people get them to speed up the purchase process. It's supposed to eliminate the background check and handgun safety test.
It does help with the background check, I was asked about that permit when I bought my toy at Shiloh. Passing a check for me is a no problem thing for past DoD /DoE clearance reasons.
There is no handgun safety test in MT...otherwise my wife would have flunked when she bought her Glock.:laughing:

Neither.

If you want a M&P Shield, get it in 9mm. 40cal is a dead caliber.

Don't concealed carry a Kimber these days. Their quality control has fallen off a cliff.

What about a good ol' classic Spinny Boi J-Frame?

Top Back Refresh