What's new

Ccw permit in Ca. Should be a looong thread

Before they did away with the course requirements here in Iowa you had to shoot 6 shots, in 6 seconds and hit center mass at I think 10 yards. Might have been 15. I never took it, just hearing old timers talk about it.

Sounds easy right? It's not as easy as you think.

So if that is the requirement you have to meet. The 200 rounds might be what it takes to give some people a fair chance at passing the class.

Revolvers are no slouches. One buddy I had kept a revolver just for passing the class, but would normall carry a semi auto. trigger pull, accuracy, in that situation I would probably pick a revolver as well. I shoot a decent amount and with any of my semi 380's I don't think I could do it in just one or two tries. With a semi 9, maybe, definately better than the 380.
But a revolver like the 38sp. Yeah pretty confident I could do that in one try.

Don't get into a gun fight with an old fart shooting a revolver unless he is on your side.

Obviously there is always guys who are just badass with whatever. Those guys could shoot whatever they pickup well if they put some time in with it.

I love wheel guns, but I just don't see any reason to carry one these days. The only advantage I can think of is shooting from a pocket, but that only works for hamerless.

You clocking the hammer between every shot? Or dealing with double action? Neither is great for that situation.

Striker fire pistols have proven ultra reliable and are not much more complex than a revolver. Twice the barrel length, waaay lower bore axis, 2-3x's the capacity, much narrower and easier to conceal.

For example. We popped a few rounds off last Sunday. My wife shot her 38. Couldn't hit a small target at about 10 yards. Gave her my cheap 1911 that's she's never shot and she hits the edges of a 2" target in one mag. Gave her my 365xl that she's never shot and she's hit the bullseye within the first few shots.

This was a no stress situation. The DA revolver gets even worse with quick follow up shots.

Again, they're better than nothing, but trying to say they're more accurate than a common semi auto is funny, especially with quick follow up shots.

I'd really suggest anyone who thinks their revolver is better to go shoot some popular semi autos. There is so many to choose from and they're cheap, there is basically no reason not to.

2bb, when is your class?

I'd really suggest anyone who thinks their revolver is better to go shoot some popular semi autos. There is so many to choose from and they're cheap, there is
You have to put it into context. A $300 wheel gun is going to be a lot easier and more accurate to shoot with including follow up shots compared to a $300 Semi auto.

Now you buy buy a $600 semi auto, then yes you are going to be as good or maybe better then the $300 wheel gun.

But then also that $600 semi is typically going to be larger than the $300 wheel gun so harder to conceal.

Or at least that has been my experience and I could very well be buying and shooting the wrong guns.

You have to put it into context. A $300 wheel gun is going to be a lot easier and more accurate to shoot with including follow up shots compared to a $300 Semi auto.

Now you buy buy a $600 semi auto, then yes you are going to be as good or maybe better then the $300 wheel gun.

But then also that $600 semi is typically going to be larger than the $300 wheel gun so harder to conceal.

Or at least that has been my experience and I could very well be buying and shooting the wrong guns.

Everything I've read about the $250 taurus compact 9's has actually been good. I would have shot one, but they didn't have a rental. Spending another $200 on a ccw isn't a big deal to me and I'd think most feel the same. Most popular ccw autos are in the $4-600 range.

I'm directly comparing my 365xl and wife's 642, both are right at $550. Mine came with 3 mags and a (shitty) holster for that price. It's not even a remote comparison to how they shoot.

I figured we're talking ccw guns here, not full-size redhawk stuff. The tiny revolvers just suck to shoot. To make them small they need a 2" barrel and with the tiny grip and shitty bore axis they just suck.

I posted a Pic of the 2 I'm comparing. The size is very similar. Except the auto is much narrower and my pinky does hang off the grip. Even the 5 rnd wheel is noticeable when trying to conceal.

Also, I totally get the point 2bb made. He knows wheel guns, so he stuck with them. I totally understand not wanting to jump into a new platform. I'm no gun nut, and honestly went about 5 years recently without shooting more than 25 rounds. When I first was looking at small pistols, I figured I'd get the kimber micro 9 since it was similar to my 1911 and I'd be familiar with it.

These striker fire pistols are just made to be easy, after shooting a few rentals. I was definitely sold. If you're decent with a wheel gun, I'd almost guarantee you will be good with a small 9.

Since everyone seems to be revolver fans here, anyone want to buy her 642 airweight? We have probably 250 target roumds and a box of critical defense that could go with it.

The tiny revolvers just suck to shoot. To make them small they need a 2" barrel and with the tiny grip and shitty bore axis they just suck.
my pops shoots his 642 at 50yds all on a man sized target
thing's so fuckin worn out that the cylinder has 1/8" or so of slop in it
I can't hit shit with it, but he's got the practice in on it

revolvers are great. I don't like them at all but all the above cons are bunk and speculation. If you don't train with what you have then you suck. If you suck then you suck it's not the guns fault. Quit sucking.:flipoff2:

Well I'm retarded. I thought it read COW permit. I'm here reading this stuff trying to figure out what animal. Cow permits for moose are a common thing here. :lmao:

revolvers are great. I don't like them at all but all the above cons are bunk and speculation. If you don't train with what you have then you suck. If you suck then you suck it's not the guns fault. Quit sucking.:flipoff2:

Have you shot a DA only 2" barrel ultra lightweight revolver before? :laughing:

They are good for not leaving shells behind :smokin::lmao:

Well 12-1/2 hours later id say it was a decent class. The instructor did a good job keeping everyones attention and it was never boring. Im not sure i learned anything but he did put us in a ton of different scenarios and talked about what he would do. He also really tried to drive home how screwed up the rest of your life could be if you ahot someone and how thats better then the alternative. I really han no problems with the written or practical test but was hoping to get more or any instruction and advice on my shooting. The practical test was 10rnds from 3, 5, and 7 yards with a reload after 5. I am incredibly inexperienced but it amazed me how much aome people struggled to even get close to the center of the target.

Well 12-1/2 hours later id say it was a decent class. The instructor did a good job keeping everyones attention and it was never boring. Im not sure i learned anything but he did put us in a ton of different scenarios and talked about what he would do. He also really tried to drive home how screwed up the rest of your life could be if you ahot someone and how thats better then the alternative. I really han no problems with the written or practical test but was hoping to get more or any instruction and advice on my shooting. The practical test was 10rnds from 3, 5, and 7 yards with a reload after 5. I am incredibly inexperienced but it amazed me how much aome people struggled to even get close to the center of the target.
for the courses, it makes me want to go get an instructor license. maybe when I retire.

the old saying "if it was easy, everybody would be doing it" well, frankly, it looks pretty damn easy and it seems like everybody (or rather, anybody) is already doing it. isn't exactly cheap either to attend

It’s scary how bad some people are. My FIL and I took the class at the same time. When we were shooting, the guy in the booth next to my FIL shot my FILs target. The guys target was shot all over the place.

for the courses, it makes me want to go get an instructor license. maybe when I retire.

the old saying "if it was easy, everybody would be doing it" well, frankly, it looks pretty damn easy and it seems like everybody (or rather, anybody) is already doing it. isn't exactly cheap either to attend
It was $260/ person and there were 15 people in class wich seemed about right. The guy said he has done /qualified 5000+ people in the last 10 years. Not bad for a side gig

It was $260/ person and there were 15 people in class wich seemed about right. The guy said he has done /qualified 5000+ people in the last 10 years. Not bad for a side gig
2 weekends a month for concealed classes, 2 weeks a year for "advanced shooting" or "close quarters" classes.

Pays better than the national guard and you don't have to shoot school kids :rasta:

Your class sounds about the same for CCW in CO. More about the legal ramifications of a defensive shooting (almost so off-putting as to encourage one not to carry) and little about actual operation of the gun. The class in MO was the diametric opposite, it was so ineffectual as to be considered a joke (yea, constitutional carry but the card helps for reciprocity). Eight hours of gun type descriptions, bullet component definitions and good ol' boy anecdotes with two hours of USCCA in the middle trying to sell you their policy, very little regarding any legal ramifications. The "test" at the end was to put 15 rnds (out of 20) into a full-size silhouette at 7 yds. Most couldn't/didn't do it.

Your class sounds about the same for CCW in CO. More about the legal ramifications of a defensive shooting (almost so off-putting as to encourage one not to carry) and little about actual operation of the gun. The class in MO was the diametric opposite, it was so ineffectual as to be considered a joke (yea, constitutional carry but the card helps for reciprocity). Eight hours of gun type descriptions, bullet component definitions and good ol' boy anecdotes with two hours of USCCA in the middle trying to sell you their policy, very little regarding any legal ramifications. The "test" at the end was to put 15 rnds (out of 20) into a full-size silhouette at 7 yds. Most couldn't/didn't do it.
I'm convinced that is the point of states mandating the classes, to discourage people from carrying

Or sell that legal insurance carry lawyer bs

I'm convinced that is the point of states mandating the classes, to discourage people from carrying

Or sell that legal insurance carry lawyer bs
I respectively offer this response: The CO instructor, I believe, was not trying to discourage anybody from carrying. He did his level best to impart that any defensive shooting was something to be taken very very seriously. He outlined many scenarios (I mean a lot of them) with their possible legal ramifications. Definitions of vigilante-ism to justified self-defense to the in-between stuff. Basically, that gun I am carrying is meant to save my life and that of my immediate family, little else. (There was no mention of carry insurance at all during the class)

I, however, will fully agree that the MO CCW class was simply a vehicle for carry insurance. The great responsibility demanded by carrying was, at best, only briefly touched upon. The CO CCW class was eye opening, the MO CCW class, an administrative dictated yawner.

Last edited:
I respectively offer this response: The CO instructor, I believe, was not trying to discourage anybody from carrying. He did his level best to impart that any defensive shooting was something to be taken very very seriously. He outlined many scenarios (I mean a lot of them) with their possible legal ramifications. Definitions of vigilante-ism to justified self-defense to the in-between stuff. Basically, that gun I am carrying is meant to save my life and that of my immediate family, little else.

I, however, will fully agree that the MO CCW class was simply a vehicle for carry insurance. The great responsibility demanded by carrying was, at best, only briefly touched upon. The CO CCW class was eye opening, the MO CCW class, an administrative dictated yawner.
good to hear the CO one was a benefit. Took one in NV and it was a surprising amount of people who wanted to just know more about the laws, people doing renewals who had never carried during their previous license period, lot's of this is why you need more insurance.

I dunno, not worth mandating in my opinion

good to hear the CO one was a benefit. Took one in NV and it was a surprising amount of people who wanted to just know more about the laws, people doing renewals who had never carried during their previous license period, lot's of this is why you need more insurance.

I dunno, not worth mandating in my opinion
Do you mean the class should not be mandating insurance? If so, I completely agree. It is as if one believes the carry insurance salesman hype, one needn't exercise the greatest personal responsibility. Personal responsibility is almost entirely dismissed by the carry insurance salesman. That's what sells the most policies. We know that will not be the situation after a defensive shooting, though. Being cognizant of your responsibility is of the utmost importance, not which phone number you should call afterwards.

Do you mean the class should not be mandating insurance? If so, I completely agree. It is as if one believes the carry insurance salesman hype, one needn't exercise the greatest personal responsibility. Personal responsibility is almost entirely dismissed by the carry insurance salesman. That's what sells the most policies. We know that will not be the situation after a defensive shooting, though. Being cognizant of your responsibility is of the utmost importance, not which phone number you should call afterwards.
i'd like to see the classes not be mandated by states/localities for CCW purposes, some places require them, some places don't. Also agree on not mandating the insurance, the dang insurance sales pitch has always struck me as odd. Sure, i guess mention the stuff exists, but then it's always followed by "and i even know a guy, here is his card!" :laughing:

in my head, it would mean the classes could focus on situational training, firearms safety training, cleaning and care, wear and dress, all those sorts of things seem like they would fit better. I dunno, maybe I actually will go get my trainer license :laughing:

i'd like to see the classes not be mandated by states/localities for CCW purposes, some places require them,
We used to have that here. Not sure I agree. LOL survival of the fittest and all.

Things have to get worse before they get better.

Once it is understood that everyone is more likely carrying than not, that is when crime will slow down.

Like they say, even the wild west wasn't the wild west. Everyone had a gun and knew how to use it.

That's exactly what the class is for, if you want to learn to shoot better most ranges offer a beginners shooting class.

So I had my interview at the sherrifs office today...

I had to do a live scan fingerprint deal that will go to the Doj to see what they can pull up

And then a basic interview asking about any and all interactions with law enforcement in my life.

I was told from here it takes about 10 weeks for the finger print stuff to come back.... if everything is good my application goes through 3 people up the chain of command for approval.

Back to waiting

I just completed my application and paid a $150 non refundable deposit. I had to give them every bit of my info for the last 20 years, copys of id, multiple proofs of residency, and 4 references.

The soonest in person appointment (whatever its for) is may 31st so i guess thats the next step.

Well just got a text that my application was approved and picked up my permit.... so 5-1/2 months total. I also had to pay another $82. Ill have to go back through to total the cost up.

No psychiatric evaluation, no in home visit, And no calling references to my knowledge.

Take course
Sherrifs department interview
Wait on fingerprinting
Pick up permit.

Im not going to lie, I was a little nervous. 20 years ago I had a significant laps in judgement that landed me in county overnight. That is in no way a reflection of who I am now and was scared the sherrifs department would still see me as a pos.

Anyhow I got it and California seems slightly less bad today.

Top Back Refresh