What's new

Ccw permit in Ca. Should be a looong thread

Revolvers are cool, but so impractical for carry. Why have 5-6 rounds when you can have 11-16 and 10-40 more ready to go?

I have 43 rounds on me between my tiny gun and 2 tiny mags.

Did you actually shoot anything or just hold them? Because the one I liked holding the best was not the one I shot the best or bought.

357 :laughing::flipoff2:

I made the same mistake years ago BTW.

Shot the 38 back to back with a G43x, sig365, and shield plus. It was an absolute joke to try and hit something at like 25'. That's not 357 either.

20220302_065407.jpg

I like it for shooting through a pocket, and no slide to mess with, but other than that it sucks.

Revolvers are cool, but so impractical for carry. Why have 5-6 rounds when you can have 11-16 and 10-40 more ready to go?

I have 43 rounds on me between my tiny gun and 2 tiny mags.

Did you actually shoot anything or just hold them? Because the one I liked holding the best was not the one I shot the best or bought.

357 :laughing::flipoff2:

Well in ca i could potentially have 10 or 11 rounds. To be honest im not sure ive shot more then a half dozen rounds out of a semi auto pistol in my life but have 1000s of rounds through revolvers. I havnt shot my new one as i tore a ligament in my hand during the 10 day wating period. I have put 100 or so rounds through the ruger lcr in the picture and enjoy shooting it at half the weight of the lcr. I also like the fact that my little ones booger hooks arnt nearly strong enough to shoot it if by some chance they ever managed to get ahold of it.

The M80s might not hurt as much either.
My Dad had a very similar size revolver but only in .38 spl. Was as painful to shoot as a .380 PPK. Tough to practice with a gun that hurts...
I have to do an 8hr ccw course and was told to bring 200rnds of amo... not looking forward to that. With amo being tough to come by im hoping i can find some light 38spcl loads

Well in ca i could potentially have 10 or 11 rounds. To be honest im not sure ive shot more then a half dozen rounds out of a semi auto pistol in my life but have 1000s of rounds through revolvers. I havnt shot my new one as i tore a ligament in my hand during the 10 day wating period. I have put 100 or so rounds through the ruger lcr in the picture and enjoy shooting it at half the weight of the lcr. I also like the fact that my little ones booger hooks arnt nearly strong enough to shoot it if by some chance they ever managed to get ahold of it.

I guess you forgot about those 13 and 15 round mags you bought during the ban being lifted? Which are totally legal to possess? They look exactly the same as ones that you could just buy off the shelf in, say reno......

I'm no crack shot either, but the accuracy difference is crazy. I used to "like" the 38 in the Pic too, until I shot some basic compact semi autos. Even the one I hated, I was way more accurate with.

Being comfortable with it is important though. But all these new little 9mm's are designed to be easy to get comfortable with.

I have to do an 8hr ccw course and was told to bring 200rnds of amo... not looking forward to that. With amo being tough to come by im hoping i can find some light 38spcl loads

You should be shooting similar ammo to what you plan to carry it with. :flipoff2:

Even the lcr is 8 irrc. I'd rather have 8 22lr than nothing.

Those old cowboy single action rugers would be a little ridiculous for ccw though :laughing: especially if you have to reload.
i don't carry spare magazines, so it isn't like my CCW is intended for more than a couple bangs and maybe a hammer :rasta:

I own several hand guns, my favorite to carry right now is my 40 shield, most seem to get to heavy after awhile, plus a spare mag I think I'm good with 15 rounds!
I am considering the Glock 43 but the handle is small for my hand, thinking maybe of an extend mag might make it fight better.

Still? we have shelves and shelves of it here!:smokin:

I own several hand guns, my favorite to carry right now is my 40 shield, most seem to get to heavy after awhile, plus a spare mag I think I'm good with 15 rounds!
I am considering the Glock 43 but the handle is small for my hand, thinking maybe of an extend mag might make it fight better.
My primary CC is a G43, and you're right they're near worthless without the extended mag, so look at the G43X. Glock also has an MOS version if you want to add an optic.

My primary CC is a G43, and you're right they're near worthless without the extended mag, so look at the G43X. Glock also has an MOS version if you want to add an optic.
The G43X's sell quick here, i can order one from grabagun.com but hate to pay the $40 fee to send to the local FFL!
plus then I would have to buy another firearm, I hate having odd numbers of them:lmao:

The G43X's sell quick here, i can order one from grabagun.com but hate to pay the $40 fee to send to the local FFL!
plus then I would have to buy another firearm, I hate having odd numbers of them:lmao:

Saving $40 seems like a totally reasonable reason to not get the gun you want to use to defend your life.....

Go shoot them all, I thought I wanted the 43x or 48, but shot the sig 365xl so much better than the glock, and comically better than the shield plus.

Saving $40 seems like a totally reasonable reason to not get the gun you want to use to defend your life.....

Go shoot them all, I thought I wanted the 43x or 48, but shot the sig 365xl so much better than the glock, and comically better than the shield plus.
Meh, I have plenty of other guns!

150+ grain is everywhere... im hoping for 125-
save your brass
ain't nothing easier to load for than .38 spl
3gr of any pistol powder, any primer, any bullet it'll be good enough to go bang
hell, use one of those powder dipper things instead of a proper measure

Got my 8hr ccw course schedualed for april 30th. Just talked to the guy who runs it on the phone and he let me know its more like 11hrs. 7:45 am to 7pm. He said thats what it takes for him to be comfortable getting all the information across. $249 and includes coffee/ doughnuts and lunch. We have to bring the firearm we will be carrying and 200rnds of ammo.

Only 200 for 11 hrs, going to be a lot of talking. Some renewal classes I’ve had are supposed to be 8, and are more like 6.

Before they did away with the course requirements here in Iowa you had to shoot 6 shots, in 6 seconds and hit center mass at I think 10 yards. Might have been 15. I never took it, just hearing old timers talk about it.

Sounds easy right? It's not as easy as you think.

So if that is the requirement you have to meet. The 200 rounds might be what it takes to give some people a fair chance at passing the class.

Revolvers are no slouches. One buddy I had kept a revolver just for passing the class, but would normall carry a semi auto. trigger pull, accuracy, in that situation I would probably pick a revolver as well. I shoot a decent amount and with any of my semi 380's I don't think I could do it in just one or two tries. With a semi 9, maybe, definately better than the 380.
But a revolver like the 38sp. Yeah pretty confident I could do that in one try.

Don't get into a gun fight with an old fart shooting a revolver unless he is on your side.

Here its 50 rounds for the first class and 50 rounds for the enhanced class
you qualify with what you are going to carry - semi or revolver not either/ or.
the enhanced class was cool - more on what to do in an active shooter situation.

more on what to do in an active shooter situation.
We used to have an indoor range with a virtual reality simulator. I am sure they are still around but this one closed up.

It is very interesting. You think you know what to do, yeah 99.5% of the people don't. One of the things I never thought about is don't take your eyes off their weapon. It is not normal, as a person we want to see them. what they are doing, their face, their body language.
Nope, keep an eye on the weapon.
In that simulation anyway that was how to pass or survive.

Hey 2big bronco let me know if you need some .38 special, I’m up in the north bay but have plenty I can part with

Top Back Refresh