What's new

Ccw permit in Ca. Should be a looong thread

Yotota

Truck nerd
Member Number
Loc
SW WA
Neither.

If you want a M&P Shield, get it in 9mm. 40cal is a dead caliber.

Don't concealed carry a Kimber these days. Their quality control has fallen off a cliff.

What about a good ol' classic Spinny Boi J-Frame?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
It does help with the background check, I was asked about that permit when I bought my toy at Shiloh. Passing a check for me is a no problem thing for past DoD /DoE clearance reasons.
There is no handgun safety test in MT...otherwise my wife would have flunked when she bought her Glock.:laughing:

It's really just a time saver, what? 10 Mins of paperwork instead of 30 :laughing:

Now that I looked it up, I can't see that ID requires it either.

plym49.2

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Get the CCW even if your state does not require one. It not only saves time when purchasing something. It also puts the cop that just pulled you over at ease b/c he knows that you passed a BG check.

In Florida, I went to the prescribed location, having previously taken the class at a gun range. No waiting and they took me in on arrival even though I was early for my appointment. They assign a concierge that walks you through station-to-station for each step of the process - multiple choice exam, scan your paperwork, fingerprints, etc. Took all of 20 minutes and I was out. Had my license in 10 days to the minute.

Texas is also fairly easy but not as easy or quick as Florida.

Florida combined resident and non-resident permits into one and the same, so IMHO everyone should get a Florida CCL (very good recirocity).

pdangerp

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
Alabama is literally pass a background check at the sheriff’s office help window. Pay a fee. They print it right there and give it to you. Good for 5 years and for an extra $2 they will laminate the card for you.

Iowa requires a safety class that you can do online. No shooting required. Go to the same sheriffs office help window and fill out the form. I got my card faster than my drivers license and I did both of those documents the same day.

grumpy356

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I need my eyes checked. I read the thread title as Cow permit:cow:.

non-OP

Member Number
The other reason to get a permit even in a consitutional carry state is that federal gun free school zone crap. you might be okay within 1000ft of a school in the eyes of the state, but federal version will still apply since it only exempts those "licensed by the state to carry" and someone can push that you are not "licensed" under constitutional carry

plus if you get your state's permit, its likely to be accepted in other states.