What's new

Cattle hauler goosneck conversion on the cheap.

Andrew

Resident Redneck
Member Number
I found a decent deal on a gooseneck cattle hauler a few weeks back. I decided to try to turn it into a car hauler with possibly a small sleeping space on the front.

The trailer deck is 84" wide by 16' long. It has dual torsion 8 lug axles.

Although, its far from an ideal goosneck chassis, I decided to give it a go.

I sold my 6x12 utility trailer I built and picked this up, pretty much a trade.

photo1770.jpg

The wall panels were junk at this point in its life, and its rear doors literally needed to be strapped shut, as the panels were to bent to close correctly.

I started the teardown, and pissing off of the neighborhood. Most of the work was done via sawsall. I didnt own my oxy/ace setup yet.

I left the last foot or so of paneling up for a bit, too give it some sort of minor support on the tongue.

photo1771.jpg

photo1772.jpg

At this point, the trailer was pretty floppy, as to be expected.

I talked to the local welding shop, and ended up raiding his REM pile, and bought two sticks of 2"x2"x1/4". I asked for 16' out of each stick, and give me the drops.....what I ended up with was 15/5s......not sure how that got crossed up.

I ran some 3" C channel and a few 2" C channel down from the 2x2 rails to the trailers existing "frame" The frame consists of 3" channel, with the same runners accross.

I ended up making some basic fenders out of tubing and 14g plate. I like flat fenders on trailers because it gives me a surface to work on, or set stuff, although they arent as asthetically pretty as stamped fenders.

photo1773.jpg

photo1774.jpg

At this point, the basics are done. Lights, backup lights, fenders and basic structure. I loaded up the 1800 pounds of steel I cut off, and headed to the scrap yard.

Much nicer than a tongue haul. I live in a very rural area, and anywhere you want to go is a curvy, hilly route. The trailer tracked great.

Next, I need to add inner fenders, and a front wall, and re do the trailers last crossmemeber "bumper". Its a bit tweaked from dragging, then figure out a camper setup.

With the way the front 2x2 angle supports go, I cant set a small tent trailer sideways on the front deck like I am considering. So that leaves me with setting something on top of the gooseneck arms, or building something from scratch.

It wasnt the ideal chassis to work with, but supporting a YJ and a small 800lb camper should work.

Well, I had approx 13klbs on it yesterday, and didnt kill a bus load of nuns. So I guess a YJ will be fine :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh