What's new

Casting Rod recommendations

kf4zht

Red Skull Member
Member Number
What brands/models are good performance/price for bass rods? Looking to setup a shorter rig with a spare abu garcia reel I got in trade. Something around 6-6.5ft. Budget is up to $200, but I would really like to keep it around $100-125. I've got a 7.5" but its a little annoying in the car if I'm doing anything other than just fishing

My first "nice" rod was a St croix picked up on a whim for a ultralight trout setup and now I can see the value in better rods. That thing can easily cast 2x as far as my cheapies and is far more consistent.

I used to fish a lot and my 3 favorite rods were my St. Croixs. Great balance, nice feel and they landed a ton of fish.

Second edit. I had them in 6, 61/2 and 7ft varieties I think medium/light, medium/heavy for the bigger 2.

Last edited:
I started making my own a few years ago. After the tooling costs, $125 will build as nice of a rod as I've ever fished at any price point. It's fairly slow and tedious work, but I get exactly what I want.

At the last boat/fishing expo, Cashion was there with their lineup. The rods felt great, and they should hit your price point.

https://cashionrods.com/

Edit: I just flipped through their site. Their prices have gone up considerably.

Last edited:
What brands/models are good performance/price for bass rods? Looking to setup a shorter rig with a spare abu garcia reel I got in trade. Something around 6-6.5ft. Budget is up to $200, but I would really like to keep it around $100-125. I've got a 7.5" but its a little annoying in the car if I'm doing anything other than just fishing

My first "nice" rod was a St croix picked up on a whim for a ultralight trout setup and now I can see the value in better rods. That thing can easily cast 2x as far as my cheapies and is far more consistent.

I don't know shit about casting rods or bass, but the Okuma Celilo and Diawa Presso are insanely good values in the ultralite trout thing. Like way better than they should be for less than seventy five bucks. The Presso is spinning only, and completely badass, so maybe take a look at the Tatula or Procyon(sp?).

The HMG Fenwick might be what you're looking for too, I do recommend it and their Eagles and River Runners. All my experience is with the spinning gear (listed here), but it's shit to look at at least.

I fished a lot of Fenwick rods when I was still bass fishing.

Have a bunch of mid range to nicer bass rods and some of my favorite ones I've used are Dobyns. In the 100$ price range, the fury series would work well, getting up towards 200$ would get you to their sierra series which I would say is worth the upgrade. If you're into used, I would highly suggest their champion line, which is probably some of the best bang for your buck. I see these go for around 200 on ebay and facebook pretty regularly. Also, the warranty is about the best around, no hassle at all, even on the used rods.

What lures/technique are you thinking?

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh