What's new

Caster: IFS 4Runner Questions...

Crappy? :laughing:

The jba ones looked pretty nice to me, and claim to offer the most travel.

My TC arms provide more travel than the TRE's can handle. They bind at full droop. I had to do limit straps to protect the TRE's.

/YMMV

I can get the Total Chaos uni-ball arms used from a forum member this week for $550. He said he just replaced the uni-balls, and the bushings look "ok."

Problem is, they could be bent, or some other issue I can't see online.
That's more than brand new jba arms.

I've heard nothing good about running uniballs for aome one like you. Ie: not racing, pushing the limits of a ball joint and lives in the rust belt.

Just drop the adjusters down, you'll probably like it better over all anyway.

JBA’s looked really nice. Just couldn’t do their lead time.

I got Camburg X-joint arms on the way. They’re more expensive, but look well built. They come with a heavy duty ball joint that’s sealed up well.

Really didn’t want to lower the coilovers since they’re going to settle. Everything will settle eventually, and then I’ll have to deal with all that. These should give me 2.5-3.5 degrees of caster so back to stock specs.

I think JBA got it to 4.6, but oh well.

the was in reference to geometry which as i understand it was the reason 74weld made an arm.

the local toyota specialty shop makes a lot of money swapping uniballs on upper arms. say most customers get ~10k miles out of them

JBA’s looked really nice. Just couldn’t do their lead time.

I got Camburg X-joint arms on the way. They’re more expensive, but look well built. They come with a heavy duty ball joint that’s sealed up well.

Really didn’t want to lower the coilovers since they’re going to settle. Everything will settle eventually, and then I’ll have to deal with all that. These should give me 2.5-3.5 degrees of caster so back to stock specs.

I think JBA got it to 4.6, but oh well.
They may settle a little, but so will the rear. My idea was to load it up for your trip, then drop the front to level. Sounds like you're going to be having a little rear squat for your trip.

Those camburg arms look decent.

Can anyone coment on firewall clearance with aftermarket arms? Iv heard people say they made their tires rub since it pushes the tires rearward to gain castor?

I thought building or modifing lower a arms for mine to gain castor and fire wall clearance, but since the steering rack is behind the axle and already has forward swept tie rods, I don't think it would work well.

They may settle a little, but so will the rear. My idea was to load it up for your trip, then drop the front to level. Sounds like you're going to be having a little rear squat for your trip.

Those camburg arms look decent.

Can anyone coment on firewall clearance with aftermarket arms? Iv heard people say they made their tires rub since it pushes the tires rearward to gain castor?

I thought building or modifing lower a arms for mine to gain castor and fire wall clearance, but since the steering rack is behind the axle and already has forward swept tie rods, I don't think it would work well.

Currently I have a little rear squat, but not much, and my camber and toe are all fawked up. I think with an alignment and two people up front it’s going to level out.

Everyone is dead set that Icon tuned this set up specifically for this 4Runner and to have faith in it. We’ll see.

I’ll report back on tire clearance. I plan on flexing this out on some boulders in the yard. It’ll give me an idea of where they’ll hit.

Tire rub has a lot to do with wheel backspacing and swing the tire vs pivoting. Yes laying back the top of the spindle for caster will get it closer to the rear of the fender. Camburg has really high caster on the Tundra UCA so I would assume the 4Runner UCA are also higher caster than most brands.

The JBA’s have a huge ball joint plate that can hit coilovers during droop as well as the tire when running stock wheels like the OP.
Good point, when reading about them, everyone swore they had more clearance. Now that you mention that, I don't see how that would be possible. Those stupid mall crawler forums are useless. :homer:

I'm running stock 5th gen wheels with 285s, they already slightly rub the upper a arm. The stock wheels are the reason I can fit those tires without fender cutting or giant lift. I'll probably just drop my front down and align it a good as possible. The whole uca worm hole isn't appealing and I've always felt it handled fine.

the was in reference to geometry which as i understand it was the reason 74weld made an arm.

the local toyota specialty shop makes a lot of money swapping uniballs on upper arms. say most customers get ~10k miles out of them
Are they actually worn or are they worn by "my 50k mom-mobile isn't supposed to make any noise" standards?

Tire rub has a lot to do with wheel backspacing and swing the tire vs pivoting. Yes laying back the top of the spindle for caster will get it closer to the rear of the fender. Camburg has really high caster on the Tundra UCA so I would assume the 4Runner UCA are also higher caster than most brands.
Pretty sure you're correct on the Camburgs. They state to tell the alignment shop to set caster to more than factory specs and adjust accordingly.

This should be fun, as we don't have quality alignment shops nearby.

OK basically any adjustable upper arm will correct the lack of caster that the toyota anti dive causes whenever you lift them. Iused to sell a lot of the light racing ball joint UCA and they worked awesome and got amazing feedback from them. I would shoot for more caster than spec. Most cars have only 1deg of caster or so, with good balanced tires it shouldn't wander at any speed.

So I would align it with as much caster as possible and drive it, if it feels bad then you gotta spend the money and get new UCA to correct the caster.

Top Back Refresh