What's new

Case 1818 skid steer. What’s it worth thread?

JR4X

wheeler
race
Member Number
Loc
Farmington NM
My soon to be FIL runs a water district and is a gvt employee. He’s got a bunch of equipment for sale for the district to get rid of crap they don’t use anymore. 1979 Cat D-3 dozer, 2001 JohnDeere 5105 4x4 diesel tractor, dual wheel goose neck to pull them on. All meticulously maintained cuz it’s government stuff.

Ive always wanted a little skid steer and one of the pieces up for bid is a case 1818 skid steer. 18 hp gas engine. Seems tiny. Are they useful at all or just little pieces of shit? Brand new engine a couple years ago. I can go drive it if I want to. Looks like it’s 4 ft wide.

Sealed bid auction that no one knows about. What would you bid? I’d kinda like to have the 50 hp JD with the loader but FIL says he doesn’t like it. Says it’s to easy to tip over. Don’t have a lot of money to part with cuz I just built a new race car. Flame on.

What's the tipping capacity of the skid?

I'd probably pass and hold for something bigger

Coming from a public utility background the sealed bid thing can be fucked.

If anyone in the office is interested or their other half is you won't get it.

It's only sealed to the public. unless they are going to open the envelopes at the board meeting don't bother.

Better than a shovel but you won’t dig a basement with it.

Seen them used mostly in cattle or hog barns with cement floor pushing poo because small and maneuverable through gates.

How many hours?

I would toss a lowball bid on everything. 15-2000 on everything but the dozer 55-6000 on dozer. If you get it great if not oh well. Dozer you should be able to peddle for 12-15,000 all day in a hurry, 15-20,000 if your not.

tractor skidsteer trailer, hard to say without seeing it but you should be able to flip them for 4-5,000.

do it right and you could get a free skidsteer with some extra walking around money.

Day of bid opening ask your fil how many bids showed up. Bid accordingly. Don’t bid even numbers toss a $35 on top of yours to beat a tie.

475CC48F-A3F4-43C7-ADE5-C4FBD54D4768.jpeg
475CC48F-A3F4-43C7-ADE5-C4FBD54D4768.jpeg

personally, after owning a Bobcat 773 and now a Deere 317.... i'd stay far away from the short wheelbase models if there are any a) heavy loads or b) non-flat-ground involved...

Everything is all pretty clean, stored inside most the time. I’ll throw some low ball bids on some things. Auction close 8/11/20 and the bids are opened in front of the board.

personally, after owning a Bobcat 773 and now a Deere 317.... i'd stay far away from the short wheelbase models if there are any a) heavy loads or b) non-flat-ground involved...

All I have is non flat ground. The water district just replaced all this stuff with one tracked bobcat. Can’t remember the model but it’s the biggest skid steer you can get. I got to drive it and it’s awesome.

All I have is non flat ground. The water district just replaced all this stuff with one tracked bobcat. Can’t remember the model but it’s the biggest skid steer you can get. I got to drive it and it’s awesome.

Biggest bobcat is the t870 I believe. Seen one once and holy fuck its a monster, fully double alll capacities of my ls185b, which is already a big, large framed machine.

Hard pass on the 1818, i would try to get the d-3 for like 6 grand, the trailer for maybe $3500, depending on the payload, and the deere could be handy but someone will pay $12k for it with all the implements.

I would never pass up a cheap skid steer. Even a bad one is better than a shovel.

Never mind, for some reason I had it in my head that a d3 was around 14000 lbs. That machine looks like its twice that

It’s heavy. And the inability to move it far is it’s downfall to the district. Google says anywhere from 14k to 30K pounds so I don’t know. Looks heavy AF looking at it.

I would never pass up a cheap skid steer. Even a bad one is better than a shovel.

bad skid steers break down and cost thousands of dollars to repair. Hell, GOOD skid steers do that. plus you need to have parts availability. i already find its tough to get certain parts for my 1997.

rated operating capacity is 550 lbs and its a gasoline engine. not worth it.

much cheaper to rent a mid-sized bobcat for the weekend for $250 when you need it.

We have a tiny diesel bob cat at work they beat the crap out of cleaning up in our crusher building. For that purpose it works better than a shovel. For a small yard it would work nice, it fits in tons of places their bigger cat skid steer doesn't. You aren't going to do a ton of work with it but when it goes up for auction I'd be tempted to put a bid in on it.

There's always a market for small easily moved with a pickup equipment. Decide it's worthless to you put it up for a dumb price and it will probably be gone quickly.

Never mind, for some reason I had it in my head that a d3 was around 14000 lbs. That machine looks like its twice that

Way heavier? I doubt it, look at the trash can next to it. :laughing:​​​​​​

Odd to see that size and era machine with an enclosed cab. You could always pull it and sell it to save weight.

That's size dozer would be awesome to have, and you could definitely sell it quick if wanted. That's a very desirable era equipment wise. New enough to be useful, but also still mechanical and simple to work on. A lot of that stuff gets bought up and taken over seas.

Go buy it!

To the op, I've never ran a skid steer that small, but my buddy who owns an excavating company told me they suck. He prefers the walk behind type because they don't tip as easy, and if they do, you just step off. Those tiny ride in one's hurt to tip :laughing:

I'd take another look at the JD also, looks nice with actual forks, it would be handy as hell.

I’m on my way to Tennessee now but I’ll check it all out better when I get home next week. I do prefer the non electronic version of everything. My 1980 mechanically injected diesel kicks ass. I think the 01 JD is all electronic which scares the shit out of me. I would prefer my farm equipment to not have an ECM.

It’s heavy. And the inability to move it far is it’s downfall to the district. Google says anywhere from 14k to 30K pounds so I don’t know. Looks heavy AF looking at it.

I don't know why there are some results saying 30k lbs for that thing. It's probably over 14k with the cab, but I'd be really surprised if it was over 20k.

No cab or rippers 15k

https://www.auctiontime.com/listing...awler/manufacturer/caterpillar/model-group/d3

Full rops and no rippers 14k

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...-Caterpillar-D3-Crawlers-Crawler_Dozer-Kansas

This really surprises me that it isn’t on public surplus auction. Most all government places put their stuff on that site. People would bid the stuff you have listed into the stratosphere!

Coming from a public utility background the sealed bid thing can be fucked.

If anyone in the office is interested or their other half is you won't get it.

It's only sealed to the public. unless they are going to open the envelopes at the board meeting don't bother.

Guy speaks the truth, the equipment is already spoken for.

The website built in 1998 wasnt hard to find

The District reserves the right to accept or reject any or all bids.

In other words, you just wasted 55 cents on postage.

Top Back Refresh