What's new

Carry holster while in SXS

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
those with SXSs what holster do you use that is comfy but accessible while riding in your SXS? i have a few different pistol options, full size 1911, SA XDm 3.8 compact 9mm, SP101 2.25" .357. I am a big guy at 6' 275# so IWB holster won't be very comfy for extended riding in full 5 point harness. Shoulder holster or Alaskan chest rig?

i mean besides the obvious roof mount twin 50s. :flipoff2:

How about a hard mount holster, something like this
Screenshot_20210713-113249_Google~2.jpg

The problem with vehicle mounted holsters is it encourages you to leave it where it is rather than taking it with you. In a SXS it’s not really a theft concern, but if you get out to take a leak, check a water crossing, etc, are you going to take it off the machine and put it on your belt every single time? If it’s only accessible when you’re in the vehicle you can generally just drive away from/run over the threat.

Personally I’d get some type of drop leg holster that’s not riding under your seatbelt/harness and just keep it on you. Our state isn’t open carry, but if you are involved in or on your way to/from camping, fishing, hunting, etc it’s legal.

I carry a 3" 1911 in a crossdraw holster. IMO, it is the best rig for comfort and access.

Fwiw
I use a little single loop deal that snaps over the trigger gaurd\loop when in the kayak it never binds and stays put well...

476B362C-B87E-43D9-9610-AF01434BE0C9.jpeg

Mine stays here as long as im with my trusted bunch. Magnetic mount. Other folks around, i pocket when we stop. If kids are on the ride its either pocket or tool box. They like to climb on stuff.

Usually when I’m getting out of the Sxs it is to cut/ move a tree in the way. So I prefer it stays in the rig. Plenty of holes to leave it in, in the Ranger

Appendix isn't too bad but the belt can block access. Chest rig works as well but could also be blocked by the belt and leave a nasty bruise if using the belts. Leg holster rotated so it's on your thigh when sitting works pretty well. Looks odd walking around though.

Shoulder or ankle?
i have looked into an ankle holster for my SP101 but the reviews for them on Midwayusa are kinda mixed. That would probably be the most inconspicuous way to carry it that won't dig into my side or something while in the RZR for hours at a time.

i have looked into an ankle holster for my SP101 but the reviews for them on Midwayusa are kinda mixed. That would probably be the most inconspicuous way to carry it that won't dig into my side or something while in the RZR for hours at a time.

Alien Gear shape shifter series offers an add on to attach the shell to a strap on a back pack with a quick release. Attach to the strap of the 5 point when riding when stepping out pop it off and snap on your hip.

to update this I ended up putting the pistol in my sling pack that I use for carrying lunch and work ID badge. stuck it between the seats and made sure to grab it when getting out of the RZR for the day or when stopping in town and wife got out with me.

Not ideal but worked for this trip.

I did buy a SA Hellcat yesterday so I may look into a ankle holster for it. Unless the wife cabbages onto it.

Top Back Refresh