What's new

Carpenter bees

I’ve been sitting in a chair with a can of brake cleaner eradicating the ones digging into the deck. Hate them bastards.

Not familiar with rat shot. That ok to fire upwards?

Yep. Very limited range. If the bees were more than a couple feet away, it wouldn't kill them, just stun them and knock them down. My shoe would do the rest.

Yep. Very limited range. If the bees were more than a couple feet away, it wouldn't kill them, just stun them and knock them down. My shoe would do the rest.

You need a Henry garden gun. No rifling and greatly improves range of the rat/snake shot.

Watch where their holes are and next time you get a cool night get up there and caulk them in. I hate those assholes and outside of chemicals that's the best I've done

Bastards have taken to boring holes in my deck this year. I'm not sure what's special about this year but I shove a stick in each hole I find as far as I can and break it off. I can only hope that I have skewered it or trapped it.

You need to kill their larvae. If a woodpecker hears the larvae it will destroy everything to get to them. I had to replace some 4x4s that looked liked it had exploded...yep, damn woodpecker.

Use some small wire...I use welding mig wire...and jab the shit out of the larvae before sealing up the hole.

I've got these, or something like these, flying everywhere:

b8b62d426b6ac59b0f888e76e8d035df.jpg

Northern Paper Wasp I'm guessing. All my soffits are jammed packed with them. Guy called me about 3h ago letting me know what time they're going to show up. You can't walk 5' without getting one of these landing on or around you. They're everywhere. Later at night when you're back inside, you still have the itches from trying to avoid them.

I got a bunch up by the house, but those I'll have to handle differently. Bad part about a log cabin house, is the entire house is at risk from those bastards. I've killed a bunch, just need to get get wood filler and some sealant to seal up the holes they've chewed in.

Drion (sp) dust in the holes. Lowe's has traps that work or look on line for DIY.

Permithrin powder and dust the holes so I have been told by a pro. I have the liquid version to spray , it works but it has its limits. The dust /powder they will carry it to the female and the larvae. Right now for me is prime fawkin season for them. The diy traps kinda work . You need to get a bee in there and then they will collect them . If you have prior hole's on structure fill them before you hang traps .

I used to shove an air compressor blower with the rubber tip into the holes. Most of the time they would shoot out the other end that faces the bottom, smack into the concrete and explode. Probably not the best way to eradicate them, but extremely satisfying. Same for plowing into a fire ant mound on a zero turn at full clip.

Find something with cypermethrinin it and spray everything, I still need to do my house this year.
wood peckers have done a good job tearing up everything, I gotta remove all the gutters and replace boards after being eaten for the last 30 years

I saw a really cool trap for them bastards the other day.
I’ll see if I can find it again, was home made and simple.

edit for video link.
https://youtu.be/3RHtEOQj4yo

hopefully the link works.
is there a better way to post YouTube vids?

I've tried those traps. Had three up last year. Didn't catch a single one.
They tear the shit out of my fascia and soffit boards. .22 snakeshot out of a revolver. Fun evening past-time.

Yes, Henry is making a smooth-bore .22 for shooting shot out of. Gotta get me one.

I've tried those traps. Had three up last year. Didn't catch a single one.
They tear the shit out of my fascia and soffit boards. .22 snakeshot out of a revolver. Fun evening past-time.

Yes, Henry is making a smooth-bore .22 for shooting shot out of. Gotta get me one.

Had one of those traps on the barn for years, it hasn't caught shit

Try putting a bee or two in each one to start. My neighbor has 3 that he has to empty once a month or so.

If someone could come up with a stain or coating they didn't like, they would be a millionaire over night...lol

We did spray an old fence once with a mixture of diesel and burnt motor oil. Bees would fly up to it and then buzz away.

Yeah, I know but it wasn't a fence near anything. I certainly wouldn't want a fire hazard near my home or anything.

If someone could come up with a stain or coating they didn't like, they would be a millionaire over night...lol

We did spray an old fence once with a mixture of diesel and burnt motor oil. Bees would fly up to it and then buzz away.

Yeah, I know but it wasn't a fence near anything. I certainly wouldn't want a fire hazard near my home or anything.

You got my gears turning so I looked it up,

https://www.ehow.com/info_7833495_ex...repellent.html

Looks like its already been done and has mixed results.

zqVblUG.gif

that is some white trash cousin fukin betty croker wut in the tarnation type shit right there :laughing:

Assholes just started chewing into my soffit on the shop last week. I think I’m out of rat shot.

Look up big juice, mixes with paint or stain

Shot two more today. The federal Winchester shotshells came in, but I'll probably hold off until the cci shotshells ammo comes in. Winchester shotshells are significantly hotter loads. Can tell in the pattern and the report.

Top Back Refresh